Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Wheel Cut ?

In the process of finalizing our decision to purchase a MH and starting to look at the fine points.

One unit at the top of our budget range is the Entegra Aspire, noticed on the specs that the wheel cut is 50 degrees. This got me wondering as most of the units we are looking at seem to have a 55 degree cut and some like the Tuscany, Revolution and other go to 60 degrees.

Wondering in the real world does the wheel cut have any significance in the ability to get the MH into places like CG's and Gas stations.

Right now we are moving in the following order, Berk 400BH, Thor Tuscany 42DEQ, Aspire, Amer Revolution. The timeframe is probably the Hershey show in Sept and right now the dealers on our short list are MHSRV and RVDIRECT, North Trails

Any info on the Wheel Cut issue appreciate, just trying to understand this aspect.

Regards,

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #2

Wheel Cut ?

Yes, 60 is greater than 50 isn't it?
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Yes. It determines the "acreage" (turning radius) you need to make a sharp turn. More for 60, less for 55 degrees. Also how far you need to go before you start your turn to clear your back wheels of an obstacle. Curb for example, or a tree. Farther for 60 deg, and less for 55. And, it helps in a turn backing up. Quicker and narrower for 55 deg, and longer and wider for 60. So 55 deg is an advantage. I don't know if I would buy a coach based just on this criteria, though.
I think you may be confused. A 60 degree wheel cut will turn tighter than a 55 or 50, therefore allowing you to get into tighter spaces. However, you need to be cognizant of your tail swing which will be slightly greater on a 60 than a 55 or a 50. I took a test drive on a new Essex with a 60 degree cut and the castering rear axle, and the turning radius is just short of incredible.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #4

Jim,

It would seem to me that I would pick the floor-plan way before I worried about wheel cuts. You are looking at models that are vastly different (bunkhouses to non bunkhouses) and from manufacturers that average to very good.

Personally I floor-plan always comes first to me, then I go for reputation and honestly in the 6 coaches I have owned I have never given a rat's butt about wheel cuts. What's the absolute worst thing that might happen, you might have to stop pull forward a bit and then back up a second time to get a 50 degree coach into a back in spot that a 60 degree cut would have made it the first time?

Face it, most of the time in these larger rigs you are using pull through sites so the extra wheel cut might come in handy once a year but the floor-plan will be used 24/7/365
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
absolutely agree

with the selection order of everything you wrote, the Berk is the first runner for the most acceptable floor plan, price and a couple of other features that look great for 188K, and the BH is primarily for interior storage. Aspire vs. Tuscany would come down to best and final price and I realize that the Aspire is probably the best of the coaches I am looking at. I just wonder why the Aspire only had the 50 degree wheel cut, small thing and would not kill the deal. At the end of the day, the Berk is almost 42 feet, only has a 360 and not a tag, that is probably of more concern.

Thanks for reinforcing the selection criteria as it never hurts to keep us grounded in the decision process.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Jim,

It would seem to me that I would pick the floor-plan way before I worried about wheel cuts. You are looking at models that are vastly different (bunkhouses to non bunkhouses) and from manufacturers that average to very good.

Personally I floor-plan always comes first to me, then I go for reputation and honestly in the 6 coaches I have owned I have never given a rat's butt about wheel cuts. What's the absolute worst thing that might happen, you might have to stop pull forward a bit and then back up a second time to get a 50 degree coach into a back in spot that a 60 degree cut would have made it the first time?

Face it, most of the time in these larger rigs you are using pull through sites so the extra wheel cut might come in handy once a year but the floor-plan will be used 24/7/365
Old 05-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

I don't know what the "cut" is on our coach but when you go into a CG they will ask you what size you rig is and put you in an appropriate size spot. Not only for length but access too. I have never been to a spot where it took "lock to lock" steering to get it in.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBS-POPS View Post
I don't know what the "cut" is on our coach but when you go into a CG they will ask you what size you rig is and put you in an appropriate size spot. Not only for length but access too. I have never been to a spot where it took "lock to lock" steering to get it in.
Agree...the only place where i would have like to have a tighter turn was in the cheap sites in Disney Wilderness Campground (cheapest slots). I would say that I thought Aspire had a 55 degree cut, but don't know for certain. In any event, I read campground reviews and avoid campgrounds where the reviewers say they were pretty tight; as I am 43 feet with a 55 cut, most are shorter and if they say it is tight, I don't want to force my way into a slot. Against that backdrop, I haven't had any problem finding appropriate sites. I haven't done too many NPS and state parks which tend to be older and tighter, but I have had no problem there either. Another respondent pointed to floor plan is more important...I'd add construction quality and customer service as being more important.JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Generally the DP coaches with a straight front axle(entry level DP) will have a 50° cut, whereas those with IFS(higher end DPs) will have a greater cut... 55° or even 60°. I-beam straight front axles are the limiting design factor for wheel cut, those with IFS are not so limited and will typically have a greater wheel cut. For comparison, Ford gassers can have only a 42°-50° wheel cut, but on a shorter wheelbase. Most of the tag axle DP coaches are 43-45', higher end, and more expensive, and a 60° cut becomes much more desirable or even necessary for many drivers. And, it's not the length of the coach per se, but rather the wheelbase(front to drive axle, not to tag axle) that determines the turning circle and maneuverability. A greater wheel cut becomes more important as you go longer... but it's not the only criteria when buying a coach. I currently drive a 43' and I've had to back-in many times into tight quarters... pull-thru sites are not always available. JMHO
Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Very informative

took another look at the Aspire and it does have the I-beam straight axle which is probably why the 50 degree wheel cut.

Again, thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
Generally the DP coaches with a straight front axle(entry level DP) will have a 50° cut, whereas those with IFS(higher end DPs) will have a greater cut... 55° or even 60°. I-beam straight front axles are the limiting design factor for wheel cut, those with IFS are not so limited and will typically have a greater wheel cut. For comparison, Ford gassers can have only a 42°-50° wheel cut, but on a shorter wheelbase. Most of the tag axle DP coaches are 43-45', higher end, and more expensive, and a 60° cut becomes much more desirable or even necessary for many drivers. And, it's not the length of the coach per se, but rather the wheelbase(front to drive axle, not to tag axle) that determines the turning circle and maneuverability. A greater wheel cut becomes more important as you go longer... but it's not the only criteria when buying a coach. I currently drive a 43' and I've had to back-in many times into tight quarters... pull-thru sites are not always available. JMHO
Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #10

Another consideration - Spartan IFS chassis use a rubber boot to protect the bottom ball joint. Many owners (including myself) have experienced the boot rupturing and find the repair to be very pricey. My conjecture is that the strain on the boot during a sharp 55% turn probably contributes to these failures. YMMV

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know what the degree of wheel cut has been on either one of our DPs. I never had a real problem getting into a CG with our 43' coach but I've driven lots of big trucks and MHs and the problem isn't at a CG, it's everywhere else when you're pulling your toad and can't back up without unhooking. We picked both our coaches based on other factors but the tighter you can turn is an advantage. We've pulled in to get fuel, other places, where if you weren't paying attention, you would have a problem. Always be thinking "do I have enough room to get out of here".
Old 05-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Jim,

x2 on this one. I know it sounds like it might be a big deal, but in reality, not a big deal. With the higher wheel cut you have to pull out further, otherwise you risk running the inside back end over something you don't want to.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote