Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
When do the house batteries get recharged?

I have a 2017 Fleetwood Discovery. I'm trying to determine if when the engine is running and I am driving down the road, that the house batteries are being recharged. Or are they only being recharged when the generator is running?
Richdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #2

Smile

I think they will be charged but very slowly
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #3

"If you are speaking of a motor home, most, if not all brands of motorhomes, are arranged to charge the house batteries using the alternator as you drive down the road. The reverse, charging the engine battery while parked and plugged in is not always true, but depends on the house manufacturer. Fleetwood is one that does provide that feature in their product lines"

found that .....
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

When driving the engine alternator should also supply DC Voltage for recharging of house batteries and chassis batteries

Generator or AC Shore power will charge house batteries
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Charged by engine when driving but charging is very slow.

Also, when gen is running, or when pugged into shore power.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe most motorhomes are set up to charge the house batteries when the engine is running, however, there is a solenoid that controls this operation and it can fail, so when it fails, you no longer have the alternator charging the house batteries.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With your engine turned off measure the voltage at the house battery terminals.

Start your engine.

Measure the voltage again. The voltage should have gone up a bit if the engine is charging them.

On mine I have to wait about a minute before the engine starts charging the house batteries
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:08 AM   #8

Check you owner manual for your alternator size...

Your engine alternators will charge your starting batteries first and then any amperage left over will go to the house batteries. Most coaches require the generator to run if you are running down the road and need one of your coach AC's running. Your house batteries are charged and topped off when hooked to shore power. Find out your alternator output and the amount of excess amperage they put out over the needs of the starting batteries. This will help you determine the rate of charge to your house batteries.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:18 AM   #9

Battery disconnect must be in the "in-use" position.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdavidson View Post
I have a 2017 Fleetwood Discovery. I'm trying to determine if when the engine is running and I am driving down the road, that the house batteries are being recharged. Or are they only being recharged when the generator is running?

Are you having issues with your coach batteries?
Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my Class A the engine charges the house bank at generally greater than 14 volts from the alternator. My 60 amp converter never puts out more than 13.6. Hence, when driving down the road the alternator charges faster than the converter.

As others have said, virtually all motorhomes charge the house from the alternator, most, but fewer, charge the chassis from the converter. All of this is achieved using a solenoid relay referred to as a battery isolation solenoid. They fail a lot, especially on coaches that charge the chassis from the converter, since they often remain energized for months at a time when connected to shore power.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries