Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I'm in a 45 ft class A and pull a grand cherokee, so 65 feet long. I always go to the truck section. As others have said, especially if it is busy, I will just do a potty break and take my dogs out and then hit the road again. So, I probably only spend 15 minutes max in a rest area. I am not going to get into a situation that I have to unhook my tow just so I can follow a sign.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 05:38 AM   #16

Anymore you need to stop before dark to find a open space and even then the truck section may be full with trucks parked on the shoulders of the exit road.
Sandy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
No more so than a "civilian" engaged in long distance driving. Having used truck stops and rest areas for breaks over the past 25 years or so, I do occasionally run into a trucker with a sense of entitlement, like they have more of a right to be using public resources since they are making a living out there. But that is the exception, and I try to just get along. Now with a 40 foot diesel coach, I will be spending more time in said environments. I respect the folks that ply our highways moving goods around, all too often over-worked and under-paid.

But if I need a break I'm using the facilities as I see fit - whether it's funded by fuel taxes, tolls or patronage of a commercial facility.

The point being, anybody piloting a multi ton projectile should be know "when to say when," and have access to a place to call it quits for a few hours; I don't buy into a narrative that commercial drivers are any more important than a private coach operator

I will agree 100% I’ve been on both sides I’ve driven a truck for 30 years and I’ve always considered first come first serve in rest areas and truck stops . As a RVer we buy the same fuel and pay same tax and here in Georgia I have to pay a heavy vehicle impact tax , so yeah when I get ready to stop and there is a space I’m going to be in it.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:35 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 60' long DP & towed car goes to the truck parking. My 24' Class C I got to the car parking. I try to park out of the way as much as possible with both and use our own facilities especially since Covid started.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:03 AM   #19

The ones I have been confused by is when they are truly separate areas (some road distance between)
Can I utilize a rest stop that states trucks only or do I need to go to the one that states no trucks?

The trucks only are frequently marked no services but thats OK I'm self contained and don't need/use any services especially during virus.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:13 AM   #20

An RV is an RV. A truck is a truck. If rv's are loading up the truck area is it any wonder we find trucks in the rv area? Come on, people!!!
You want to see even more confusion? Come to Va rest areas that have an area for "All Towed Vehicles".
Old 04-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
All the rest areas that I have used say "Cars" in one direction, and "Trucks & RVs" in the other direction.
X2
Always go to the truck side. They are set up to pull in with longer rigs. If staying carry ear plugs. The truck you have next to you when you pull in may not be the same when you wake up. I pull in next to carriers pulling dry vans. Get up with reefer trailers next to me a lot. We all pay our taxes and rest areas are for everyone. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
The ones I have been confused by is when they are truly separate areas (some road distance between)
Can I utilize a rest stop that states trucks only or do I need to go to the one that states no trucks?

The trucks only are frequently marked no services but thats OK I'm self contained and don't need/use any services especially during virus.

The special "trucks only" stops are typically just a parking area. Some states have started to realize that if they don't want trucks parked on the highway ramps they have to provide a safe place to park. There simply aren't enough truck stops with parking in some parts of the country.

You could likely stop in one of the "truck only" parking areas but I wouldn't - too noisy and too much in/out activity. Not only wouldn't I get any rest due to the noise, I'd be up all night worried that a driver would clip the corner of my rig pulling their trailer too close.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
X2
Always go to the truck side. They are set up to pull in with longer rigs. If staying carry ear plugs. The truck you have next to you when you pull in may not be the same when you wake up. I pull in next to carriers pulling dry vans. Get up with reefer trailers next to me a lot. We all pay our taxes and rest areas are for everyone. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
You do know that semis are notorious mirror removal devices. No?
And the drivers don't often pee on their own tires.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #24

At 65' or 73' long, depending on what I am towing, I will always go to the truck side regardless of what the sign tells me. I can't recall a rest area that prevented any 65' rig from using the Truck area. If the truck side is full, I just move on to the next available stop.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
All the rest areas that I have used say "Cars" in one direction, and "Trucks & RVs" in the other direction.
Same here, everyone I’ve been through state’s, (cars) one way and (trucks, busses and RV’s) another way. I always use the truck parking in rest areas. Now we have spent many a night in the front part of Flying Js car - RV pump area.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #26

If you need to spend a night and get rest, what do you shoot for?

Loves?
Flying J’s?
Rest stop?

Looking for stuff along the highway, not trying to find a Walmart, etc...

Is there a web site that evaluates these sites for safety, etc?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #27

Someday, while looking for stuff along the highway, I'll come across some treasury bags, just like Jimmy Coyle did.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you tried the RVPARKY app? You can set it for overnight parking at Walmart, truck stops, Cabella, rest areas, camp grounds, etc. There reviews for most areas. I find stopping in more rural areas "feels" safer to me than urban settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
If you need to spend a night and get rest, what do you shoot for?

Loves?
Flying J’s?
Rest stop?

Looking for stuff along the highway, not trying to find a Walmart, etc...

Is there a web site that evaluates these sites for safety, etc?
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote