Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Question When to winterize

Have a 31 ft. 04 Allegro gas mh. This is our first mh, before we pulled 5th wheel. My question is we live in Indiana, the temp so far are running 50 during the day and low 30 at night. We are planning on leaving the last week of this mo. heading south (again for the first time). What should I be doing about winterizing the mh. Do the whole bit, blow out lines only or what?? to protect from possible freezing. Thanks for any help!!
jastinjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

Blow lines, add a few gallons of pink stuff to the water lines via fresh water tank and water pump. When you get south of, say, Nashville, you can drain the system, refill and use the toilet again. Bring bottled water for coffee, cooking. When you get to your destination, you can drain tank again, flush, and then just hook up to city water. Open faucets and flush lines. A lot of work, but cheap insurance.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your coach is almost the same as ours. It has a heated area below the floor where the tanks and plumbing is located. The heat is provided by the gas furnace inside your coach. As long as you use the furnace to warm the inside it will provide enough heat underneath to keep everything from freezing.

Good luck on your first trip south.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrvr View Post
Your coach is almost the same as ours. It has a heated area below the floor where the tanks and plumbing is located. The heat is provided by the gas furnace inside your coach. As long as you use the furnace to warm the inside it will provide enough heat underneath to keep everything from freezing.

Good luck on your first trip south.

George
The only thing I would add to George's comment is this,
If you are not using the hot water heater, I suggest putting on by-pass and draining it. Because it is on the outside exposed to the elements and is the first thing to freeze. Other than that, the basement heat will keep things good till you get south.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If you can keep it plugged in and keep the propane filled, just set the thermostat around 45 - 50 until you leave. I costs a few dollars more but it's much less of a hassle.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #6

If you have an air compressor, I'd go ahead and blow out the lines--it's not a big job--just to be safe. Don't bother with the antifreeze, though.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Being a Hoosier myself; I have a rule-of-thumb that has worked well for many years.

When daytime highs reach 50*, and nighttime lows are above 27*, I don't worry about anything freezing in the RV. There is enough residual heat from the day to prevent freezing during those few hours of freezing temperatures. Do not worry about any wind-chill factor, it only affects living tissue.

We have the same departure plans, and do not plan to winterize the RV. The LP furnace, set on 50* (only at night) should suffice during lower temps than my rule-of-thumb. I will re-fill the LP tank when we are on the road, Camping World supercenters (when equipped) sell propane for $1.99/G on Tuesdays.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Being a Hoosier myself; I have a rule-of-thumb that has worked well for many years.

When daytime highs reach 50*, and nighttime lows are above 27*, I don't worry about anything freezing in the RV. There is enough residual heat from the day to prevent freezing during those few hours of freezing temperatures. Do not worry about any wind-chill factor, it only affects living tissue.

We have the same departure plans, and do not plan to winterize the RV. The LP furnace, set on 50* (only at night) should suffice during lower temps than my rule-of-thumb. I will re-fill the LP tank when we are on the road, Camping World supercenters (when equipped) sell propane for $1.99/G on Tuesdays.
X2 on this one and if your traveling in colder weather leave furnace on until you hit the warm weather.
Have been in 1* temps for a long weekend and furnace kept everything as warm as you wanted your body and the holding tanks.
Here is more info in winter travels.
Enjoy your trip and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter