RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #15

If you have a new RV, full replacement coverage (in other words, you get a brand new RV if totaled) and how many years can you get it.

After that, do they have an agreed to value option (maxed at the original purchase price in our case starting next year) or are you subject to thier depreciation calculations.

How does towing work in case of an accident, which is totally different that towing in case of a breakdown with your roadside assistance. We had a very hard time getting straight answers on this one.........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #16

The comment early on about an Umbrella policy makes a lot of sense.

Need to protect all - both the RV and personal liability. With the growing sentiment against those who worked hard and now have nice stuff it seems like we have a target on our backs sometimes.

Maybe I am becoming pessimistic
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for y'alls replies. Y'all are the best. Well since my policy Renewal date was close I was looking into some more options, but My Geico policy isn't that bad after all, so I bundled. The Ins cost on my 2 cars (car and truck) was around 1200 a yr already. With My MH it comes out to $3800 a yr. When I subtract the 1200 I was paying (or am paying) for my (2) truck/car that's $2600 for my rig. Which I heard is close to average. I got the max coverage you can get before "being Eligible" for the Umbrella Coverage, which I plan on getting in 6 months when I pay my semi annual installment.
P.S. Geico goes by the NADA Vehicle value at the time of the "Accident," which I think is pretty fair.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #18

I'm not sure what coach you have, but it sounds like you are paying about $1000 more than I am. My coach is 5 years old now and for full replacement I would have paid $2400 this year, but opted for actual value plus 10% on collision and 250/500,000 liability. That brought the premium down to $1670. If you have "Full Replacement", then you're probably close. We left Geico after a few years because of rate increases with no claims. Progressive did the same after three years. So far Allied has been steady, but I'm watching.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post

How does towing work in case of an accident, which is totally different that towing in case of a breakdown with your roadside assistance. We had a very hard time getting straight answers on this one.........
Accident towing is paid under either collision coverage or it can be paid under the other parties liability if they are at fauld and you can wait for the other company to assume the liability.

Accident towing is much higher than usual breakdown towing. My agency recently paid a $17,000, yes thousand dollar, accident tow bill. When the engine on a rotator wrecker starts the bill starts at $1000.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
You may want to confirm that...in most states vehicles are excluded from the homeowners policy.
I have a no running classic car in my garage and was told it would not be covered by my homeowner policy if something happened such as a fire.
lstutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We carry liability only with our regular automotive insurance company, Allstate.

We "suspend" the MH and the toad when they are sitting in our drive (storage) 9 months out of the year. Our home insurance covers it in case a tornado or fire come through while sitting in the driveway.

No it doesn’t.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
Accident towing is paid under either collision coverage or it can be paid under the other parties liability if they are at fauld and you can wait for the other company to assume the liability.

Accident towing is much higher than usual breakdown towing. My agency recently paid a $17,000, yes thousand dollar, accident tow bill. When the engine on a rotator wrecker starts the bill starts at $1000.
That's exactly what I was referring to. When questioning some of the cheaper quotes, I found they were greatly limiting the coverage regarding accident towing mileage......... And, don't expect your roadside coverage to pick it up either in case of an accident.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #23

In addition to comprehensive/liability/umbrella policies, an Extended Service Plan may be worth considering, if or when your coach is no longer covered by the factory warranty. Lots of arguments on that one.

Roadside assistance and, as mentioned, windshield coverage.

As for the what's the "Best" anything? Those questions are forever in the realm of the unanswerable.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
In addition to comprehensive/liability/umbrella policies, an Extended Service Plan may be worth considering, if or when your coach is no longer covered by the factory warranty. Lots of arguments on that one.

Roadside assistance and, as mentioned, windshield coverage.

As for the what's the "Best" anything? Those questions are forever in the realm of the unanswerable.
Well I only checked with Good sam so far for Extended service plan, they want as much as an insurance Co. (well technically it IS mechanical insurance according to them): 1880 a yr. Hopefully there's something cheaper out there. Feel free to share. LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RightUR We just switched to Geico last year. I spent a month calling every insurance company I could think of. They had the best rates, comparing apples to apples.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
RightUR We just switched to Geico last year. I spent a month calling every insurance company I could think of. They had the best rates, comparing apples to apples.
Thanks. Now I feel good about my choice. LOL.

Tags
insurance