Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you choose MH Insurance,what are the Must-Haves?

So which do you consider the best MH insurance Co's and what are your must haves when you make your choice?
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

I'm going to answer --or give my opinion as it pertains to-- the second part of your question as the first part pertaining to "the best MH insurance co's" is in a lot of ways subjective and you will get a lot of different responses from members here. Discussing which company is "better" has been the subject of a lot of threads here on this forum.

Pertaining to the "must haves," I'm going to give you advice that some might disagree with but was given to me many decades ago ---> Make sure you're adequately covered when it comes to LIABILITY and that usually means buying an "umbrella policy" if you don't already have one.

If you own a house and have some savings, you'd want at least a $1 million dollar umbrella. Many RVers are high net-worth individuals as not only do motorhomes cost a substantial amount of money but their upkeep is expensive. So having an umbrella that covers at least your net worth is something you should really insist on having.

All of us will say "I'm a safe driver and there is no chance I'll be involved in an accident that's my fault." I think just about everybody will say that to themselves. Or "what are the chances that any property I own will cause death or severe and permanently disabling injury to another person?" "Not very likely" will be the vast majority of the responses from people here.

However, I feel it imperative to be covered for such an incident as it could wipe us out financially should death or permanent disability to another person occur. It's horrific enough having such an occurrence on your conscience but losing your house and assets on top of it would even be more devastating.

I think owning an RV makes us especially vulnerable as they are such large vehicles and can easily do a lot of damage should control be lost. As mentioned, everybody says to themselves "there's no way I will ever lose control of my RV." However, both DW and I are retired commercial drivers so have been driving large vehicles for decades and still feel that there's ALWAYS a chance, no matter how minute we THINK the chances may be that we could be involved in a major accident that could be due to our negligence.

Weather, equipment failure, distractions, illness while driving, etc. can all be contributing factors in an accident that may be deemed "your fault" in court. Sure, not in all cases but could be factors that might have some play in the final determination of fault.

So we want to be insured for that catastrophic event, no matter how remote we think it might be to happen, that could wipe us out financially. An umbrella policy costs maybe $200 to $400 a year for a $1 million policy and not much more for a $2 million policy.

We use insurance mostly for the catastrophic incidences that might occur so keep our deductibles high. Because of that, we try to keep our premiums fairly low and self-insure where we can. However, that umbrella policy is a "must have" for us and well worth the money spent in our opinion.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like I'm not getting any responses from anyone here. LOL. Maybe most people just get a policy in order to be legal and to get behind the wheel, but really don't read the fine print and hence really don't have any "Must Haves."
Old 07-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #4

The ability to put the motor home in "storage" mode (no collision) as often as I want.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We carry liability only with our regular automotive insurance company, Allstate.

We "suspend" the MH and the toad when they are sitting in our drive (storage) 9 months out of the year. Our home insurance covers it in case a tornado or fire come through while sitting in the driveway.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We carry liability only with our regular automotive insurance company, Allstate.

We "suspend" the MH and the toad when they are sitting in our drive (storage) 9 months out of the year. Our home insurance covers it in case a tornado or fire come through while sitting in the driveway.
You may want to confirm that...in most states vehicles are excluded from the homeowners policy.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was using Allied through Farm and City. Good price to start, but kept going up. Last year it was 1700, this year 2300. Switched to National General through Good Sam (I think you can get them through FMCA now also) and with matching coverages cost just over 1000. I checked others comments and opinions on Nat Gen before I went with them.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:01 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In most states you have to carry liability if you have active tags. I don't want to have to contact my states DMV to use my MH. I tag and insure it year round. I carry full coverage with a $1000 deductible, with full glass and awning coverage. In my 20 years of owning a MH I have had claims on 3 windows from rocks. Two replacements and one repair. I was in Myrtle Beach on July 4th when the tornado touched down and I had no time to get my awning in. I carry full coverage because I can not afford to loose my MH. Liability get as much as you can. High limits may cost you an extra $75 a year. Cheapest is not always the best! Buy from an agent or agency that you can walk into the office and trust. They can build you a policy that is right for you. .Com's and 1-800's only care about the sale and they never have to look you in the eye and tell you that is not covered.
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our RV is paid for. Our first policy was about 800 a year which was reasonable for full coverage. After the first year they wanted 2K. I checked around and could not find it any cheaper. I opted to talk to my agent for just liability and take my chances. It was 125 buck a year. I then asked about uninsured motorist because that's what I see at work day to say is drivers without insurance causing wrecks. My agent checks and says uninsured motorist capped out at 250K along with my liability would be 127 bucks a year. That is not a typo. It was only 2 dollars more a year for 250K uninsured motorist.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
This article reemphasizes the point made earlier about personal liability and highlights other differences between RV and auto insurance worth considering.

RV Insurance For Full-Timers: What You Need To Know

Also, if you're driving a Class A, the windshields can be expensive to replace. A glass waiver is relatively cheap (I think I pay $20/year).
Old 07-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #11

Other than liability, uninsured motorist, underinsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive, I'm not sure what you mean by "Must Haves". We are currently insured with Allied. The liability levels have to be at $500,000 to satisfy our $2,000,000 umbrella policy. We have a $500 deductible. I pay an extra $34/year for a zero deductible on glass damage. It replaced a $2800 windshield a couple years ago with no out of pocket cost to me. When is was new, we carried Full Replacement, but have switched to actual value plus 10%. We used to insure with Foremost until their rates went through the roof. Allied has been competitive with everyone we compared it with and their service has been second to none.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent service when you have a claim. Price may sell insurance, but excellent claims service keeps you as a customer.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:29 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman5145 View Post
In most states you have to carry liability if you have active tags. I don't want to have to contact my states DMV to use my MH. I tag and insure it year round. I carry full coverage with a $1000 deductible, with full glass and awning coverage. In my 20 years of owning a MH I have had claims on 3 windows from rocks. Two replacements and one repair. I was in Myrtle Beach on July 4th when the tornado touched down and I had no time to get my awning in. I carry full coverage because I can not afford to loose my MH. Liability get as much as you can. High limits may cost you an extra $75 a year. Cheapest is not always the best! Buy from an agent or agency that you can walk into the office and trust. They can build you a policy that is right for you. .Com's and 1-800's only care about the sale and they never have to look you in the eye and tell you that is not covered.
wow. thanks soo so much.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just brace yourself for that next policy increase when it comes due. Was with Nat. General at 1750/yr, just got my new rate, went up to 4017/yr. Needless to say I found another provider for even less than the 1750 I was paying.
Insurance companies, ya can't trust them!!!

Tags
insurance