Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
I mount mine dead center on the lower part of the windshield. Works great there!
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #16

I mounted ours in the center under the front cabinet about 2' back from the windshield that gives a good field of view. I just plug it into the dash and then transfer it to the toad when were set up. When traveling it gives me peace of mind if there should ever be a problem so I use it all the time. 3 years ago a driver made a right turn on red and hit me they told the police I ran the red light and that it was my fault. However a passing motorist stopped and gave me his phone number and told me they ran the red. I gave the number to the police and the other driver got the ticket and their insurance payed all expenses. Seance we full time we had to find lodging for the 2 weeks it to to get our motor home repaired all payed by their insurance.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
In the latest FMCA magizine , Mark Quasius(Cruzer) did a article on the mounting of his dash cam, and even installed a new 12v outlet in the front bottom of the dash so as not to have the power wire laying on top of the dash........A real professional install........

Old 12-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
My camera is mounted in the low center. I did find me a wire in the dash that gets hot with Ignition On, this way the camera is always ON when driving and is set with a 3 min. delay.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My camera is mounted dead center on the upper portion of the windshield just below the where the night shade stops and mounted right next to my EZPass unit. I then use a small paper clamp and hook the cable to back side of the night shade track (if it sags then you can hook it the bottom of the shade) and run the wire down the side and back to the center where it is plugged in. As I haven't found the need to clip it to the bottom of the shade the shade goes up and down without interfering with the wire. My window is clear of the camera for the DW to take pictures. Looking at the pictures I get good coverage. I think the goal would be (1) non-nuisance location and (2) field of view that captures what's happening. I would think that these could be different for everyone.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #20

Ours is mounted suction cup mounted on the passenger side windshield as near the centre divider as possible, high enough to be just into the tinted area to prevent being seen from outside the rig. Reason? We travel in Mexico where a few times in the past we have had State or Municipal police try to shake us down. We'll refuse to pay the bribe then if they insist we follow them to the police station we will post the video and then show it to the boss man and tell him that it has been posted to the internet.
cdnrainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Under TV Cabinet

the Camera is mounted on a piece of Lexan 8 x 10 inches it is installed under the overhead tv cabinet With power wire wire coming through hole I drilled in bottom of the tv cabinet on drivers side.

Name:   dscf0007.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #22

I agree with low center.
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #23

I used the suction cup mount to place it at the bottom of the windshield, just left of middle because I have a two piece windshield and I cannot put it dead center. It has a great view.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #24

I guess a lot of it depends on the field of vision. From what I've seen the cameras go from 125 to 170 for the most part. Wherever I put it, it has to be where the wire is tucked away somewhere.

I'm also going to find a way to direct connect to power so I don't have to plug it into the power socket. Lot of options in both the dash-cams availability and placement in the coach. You guys have been great and I thank you all...
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:01 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I'm also going to find a way to direct connect to power so I don't have to plug it into the power socket. Lot of options in both the dash-cams availability and placement in the coach. You guys have been great and I thank you all...
One thought on the direct connect is that you may want to put it the dingy when you get to the destination. I took mine out of the coach and put it in the jeep this past summer to record "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier NP, as well as on the Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road going to and from Custer State Park and Mount Rushmore. Just a thought . . .
Old 12-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #26

Hi Bob, I plan to buy another dashcam for the Toad. It just makes it easier. That reminds me, can you download the dascam to tablet via wifi or does it require a direct wire connection?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my dashcam I had to remove the micro SD card and transfer the videos to my laptop using an SD card adapter.. There might be some out there with WiFi.

Tags
dash, class a