Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
We use our local Kroger station when we're anywhere near home. It's a new station, spacious - and allows us to use the points we've accumulated while grocery shopping.

On the road - the answer is usually it depends. We typically start thinking about refueling once the needle starts to dip below a half tank. At that point we use Gas Buddy to locate prospective fueling stations - first by price/location along our route - and then with Google Maps satellite view to assess whether or not we can maneuver around the pumps. Early in the "find a station" refueling process - we usually identify a truck stop some distance ahead as our "if we don't find something better...." station of last resort.

We've recently added an app called "Truckers' Path" to our arsenal of iPhone/iPad applications. It focuses on truck stops (as well as rest areas!) along the freeways and major highways. It's proving to be pretty helpful. Granted there are other applications that can provide this information too - but they're front and center on the "Truckers' Path" display.

We probably end up at our "if we don't find something better..." station of last resort 30% of the time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I always buy diesel at place where I know the turnover is fast. I don't want fuel that has been sitting in a tank for a month.
We use Pilot/Flying J, Loves, T/A. I like the big nozzles at the truck stops I fill up quickly. It's the small things like having long handles squeegees. If I pay .10 a gal more and I take 100 gal. it's $10.
Three years ago I pulled into what l thought was a big gas station. It was so tight I could not get out. We had to unhook the toad and back out. I've also seen what those concrete filled pipes at the end of the islands can do to a nice MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloftin60 View Post
The majority wins. I just applied for a Flying J credit card. Along with my
Good Sam card, the discounts should make the price competitive and with the convenience and a fresh Cinnabon should make a stop easy peasy.
Good move. Happy wife worth far more than any fuel price shopping will ever come close to. The rest is academic.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 AM   #32

We have a 40' DP with a toad and only use a truck stop once or twice a year when we spend the night in one. Other than that, you're right, they charge too much for fuel even with their discount cards.

We primarily use Fred Meyers or some other Kruger store as we get a ten cent reduction per gallon per $100 on groceries and we usually spend $300 in groceries per month. When a Fred's isn't available we prefer Sam's Clubs. The price is usually cheaper than most places and they have a lot of room. I can fill the MH while the DW shops for groceries in Wal-Mart all in one stop.

Costco has good prices in the few places they've expended with diesel, but they're way overcrowded with customers.

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 AM   #33

I have a Ram with a 40ft gooseneck flatbed 60 ft ,I use gas buddy then use Google map on earth view to see if I have a good way in and out. Usually Valero, Buck es, Murphy,I can't afford the truck stop fuel.
Tonyb337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Yup, good move on the Pilot/Flying J card.

Sometime ago I did a post on a similar thread where the OP was claiming a 30 cent per gallon difference vs the 10 cents you mentioned. I did some math and using 6k miles per year, assuming 7 miles per gallon, that averaged out to just over $20 per month for the convenience of using easy in and out stations along my route, with a high confidence of getting good fuel and no access issues. Using your 10 cent per gallon difference that would be $6 or $7 per month. Not worth the extra time or aggravation in my book.

If no Pilot/Flying J along my route, where and when needed, I'll use one of the other majors (and yes, I will have to go into the store a couple of times). If on secondary routes I'll use the "Truckers Path" app to help find a fuel stop, double checking on Google Earth during the trip planning phase.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #35

In WV, I find that Go-Marts (a local convenience store chain) usually have high-volume pumps and good prices in their truck lanes, when they have truck lanes.
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
We use Pacific Pride locations. For years of driving around towns looking for easy in and out stations and seeing these PP dealers with no lines and easy in and out and clean , we finally signed up. Best decision ever made, less stress, no lines.
Hpyhilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #37

I use YP mobile. It has spot on the front page showing the local gas/diesel prices. If you go into the settings there's a place to change whether you are looking for gas or diesel. It has shown me places up to 50+ miles away. I've used it for the last two years everywhere but on the East Coast.
Oma_Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
Pilot/Flying J. We use the Pilot/Flying J charge card to turn the pump on at the pump, I don't have to go inside.
With our Good Sam Elite membership, we get 9 cents off per gallon shown on the pump.
We have done this for years with our gasers. Now that we have a 44' DP, we will definitely continue to do this. It will be SO much easier to use truck lanes than the gas or RV lanes! The fuel is going to be much fresher, access so much easier and I couldn't care less if I have to pay 3 cents more a gal to not drive 5 miles off the freeway to not know what I'm getting.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Yup, good move on the Pilot/Flying J card.

Sometime ago I did a post on a similar thread where the OP was claiming a 30 cent per gallon difference vs the 10 cents you mentioned. I did some math and using 6k miles per year, assuming 7 miles per gallon, that averaged out to just over $20 per month for the convenience of using easy in and out stations along my route, with a high confidence of getting good fuel and no access issues. Using your 10 cent per gallon difference that would be $6 or $7 per month. Not worth the extra time or aggravation in my book.

If no Pilot/Flying J along my route, where and when needed, I'll use one of the other majors (and yes, I will have to go into the store a couple of times). If on secondary routes I'll use the "Truckers Path" app to help find a fuel stop, double checking on Google Earth during the trip planning phase.
Has to agree with ya on this one. Just to many possible problems with the other stations a lot of the problems is the approach angles in and out of some stations. At 44' easy in and out of the truck stops is way better than saving a couple of bucks
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #40

Easy and convenient pump access/departure, larger volume pumps, band names like FJ or Pilot, high fuel storage turn-over, reasonable prices with discount cards--so a dollar or two more per tank--maybe....convenience and peace of mind from avoiding contaminated fuel--"priceless!" So, 14 years and 167K miles later--no fuel issues!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #41

I use Pilot and Loves but what I find lately is that many of them now only offer bio diesel blend (much higher than 5%) and with my ISM500 (ultra low sulfur) I am not sure if its good for my engine.

Any feedback?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidio View Post
I use Pilot and Loves
Presidio
Do you plan every trip so you will be at a Pilot or a Loves whenever you need fuel?
My 150,000 mile coach, (which I have fueled over 200 times, so far), gets it's diesel fuel at any filling station that sells diesel fuel.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel