Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

Where do you get chassis service??

My Class A is coming upon 30k miles and so it needs the 30k service as well as an oil change.

My coach has a Freightliner chassis and there is a Freightliner service center within 20 miles. I also live within 20 miles of Camping World and they also told me that they change the oil (and I presume the other tasks involved with the 30k service).

What do most people here do for routine service, Freightliner, Camping World, other choices??
burgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I use the Freightliner service center in Gaffney SC owned by Freightliner or the Premier Truck Group Freightliner Oasis center in Knoxville that is 5 miles from my house. I would not use a RV dealership for service to the chassis.

Sent from my SM-N960U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #3

I also use Gaffney, SC service center. In fact I am there right now

Always excellent service.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Gaffney also. Will be there in 3 weeks. An annual trip for us, only about 3 1/2 hours from Augusta. Gives me a chance to replenish my wife's beer stock in Greenville (Orkney Skullsplitter, can't find in Augusta anymore and know a place I can order it and pick it up).
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:18 PM   #5

We also use Gaffney, SC for our service. However, seeing that you are in St, Louis, that might be a bit out of your way. With your choices, I would choose Freightliner. Based on comments here on irv2, I would be leery of Campingworld. Freightliner may be more expensive than other shops, but they should be properly trained. There are probably other independent shops around you, but finding a good one may be a challenge.
Old 05-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have a Cummins Care facility close to you check with them to see if they do full service. Some do and some don't.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:47 PM   #7

Do NOT go to Camping World for chassis service!! That would be the absolute WORST place you could go.

I would also not go to a Freightliner “Oasis” service facility. My experience with them is not very good. They know trucks, but they don’t really know motor homes.

The absolute BEST place to go for Freightliner chassis service is the Factory Service Center in Gaffney, South Carolina.. They only work on motor homes.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Needed the 30,000 or 3 year service to be done . Had the appointment with Southport Truck Group in Tampa . On my way there DEF light comes on that I'm low . Got to service and told them that I have 1/2 tank of DEF but light came on . They found a SCR temp senor bad and replaced . They serviced the coach and have had them service it before . They have personnel that does the Freightliner service and know the chassis . This is why I wanted a coach with a Freightliner chassis as I can have it serviced in most large cities . Cost was $3,700.00 and they put paper on the floor and covered the seat in the coach .
Old 05-21-2022, 04:51 PM   #9
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Another alternative than going to Gaffney (sure, if you're near Gaffney or want to make a trip there, that's great to take it there as that's the ideal place to have the chassis work done --obviously) is to use a "Gaffney-approved FCCC" Oasis Service Center. A Freightliner Oasis facility is committed to work on motorhomes. Some Freightliner truck facilities or semi-truck repair shops in general either will refuse to work on a DP or charge more --or will even treat you rudely as I've experienced as they have to go inside into your bedroom and access under the bed to do a complete service of the engine and many not only do not like to do that but it also does create more work and hassle for the mechanic.

At least at an Oasis center, they commit to FCCC that they will cater to motorhome owners. Some more so than others, however. Some Oasis centers are bad but some are excellent ...just like anything else.

Your profile says that you are in the St. Louis area. If that's where you're looking for service, the Oasis dealer near you is:

Truck Centers, Inc. - Freightliner ----> go HERE

747 E. TAYLOR AVENUE
ST. LOUIS, MO 63147

(314) 381-3800

They have a decent reputation as far as Oasis facilities go.

A Freightliner service center, however, will tend to be more expensive.

I like to use an independent shop that has a good reputation who works on commercial trucks and is willing to work on DP motorhomes without charging a whole lot extra for doing so or doesn't complain about it.

One such place in the St. Louis are is Skyline Diesel ...I think their prices will be much more reasonable than a Freightliner shop or Cummins facility:

Skyline Diesel Repair & Towing ----> go HERE

20300 VETERANS MEMORIAL PKWY
FORISTELL, MO 63348

(636) 673-2211

See Yelp Review 10/21/2022

Attached is the 30,000 mile FCCC clecklist which you should already have. If taking it to a private garage such as Skyline or anywhere else (FCCC dealers will already have it and most reputable private shops most likely will too) print it out and have the mechanic/tech that does the work initial each item. Sure, that doesn't completely assure they're doing it but at least they'll know that is what you expect them to do.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 24-Mo-30000-Mile-Maintenance-FCCC.pdf (26.5 KB, 3 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
WE use Freightliner service centers and I would NEVER, NEVER use Camping world for anything and certainly would not let them touch my coach.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Truck centers has eight excellent mid states locations. The main office is in Troy iL. If I were you, I would start there. Meet the service manager and look their facilities. They have 70’ pull thru inspection / service bays that make working on a coach very nice. The full service body shop is also excellent. We have used the many times for our truck and coach work.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Gaffney also. Will be there in 3 weeks. An annual trip for us, only about 3 1/2 hours from Augusta. Gives me a chance to replenish my wife's beer stock in Greenville (Orkney Skullsplitter, can't find in Augusta anymore and know a place I can order it and pick it up).
We will be ibn Gaffney in about 3 weeks too for our annual service. To the OP, I suggest you go to your Freightliner shop. CW will have no clue what to do nor will they have the proper parts for the consumable items that should be replaced. Take a look at what should be done at the Freightliner web site. https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-ser...s-maintenance/
Old 05-22-2022, 12:58 PM   #13

The only reason to ever go to Camping World is if Walmart is completely out of toilet paper.

A freightliner/cumming/onan shop knows ALL the lubrication points and how to fix everything on your chassis. Any other shop will simply be guessing and skip the "hard ones."
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
Truck centers has eight excellent mid states locations. The main office is in Troy iL. If I were you, I would start there. Meet the service manager and look their facilities. They have 70’ pull thru inspection / service bays that make working on a coach very nice. The full service body shop is also excellent. We have used the many times for our truck and coach work.
What's the old quote; "Jack of all trades and Master of none."

I acknowledge that many RVrs do have good luck using regular truck stops - but for OP, I want to recommend the best - go to a Freightliner shop get good service with OEM parts.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, service