Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #15

Temp location

I simply lay mine on top of the curbside tire. It is out of the weather and take it inside when travelling.

Jim Thompson
2007 Pathfinder 384TS
2007 HHR
jetfromtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfromtn View Post
I simply lay mine on top of the curbside tire. It is out of the weather and take it inside when travelling.

Jim Thompson
2007 Pathfinder 384TS
2007 HHR
I wouldn't have mine long if I did as you. I'd probably forget about it and crush the thing as I drove off. I just put mine in a storage bay. Seems to be pretty accurate at night and early morning and a little warmer than actual temp. during the day. Depends on where the sun is.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfromtn View Post

Jim Thompson
2007 Pathfinder 384TS
2007 HHR
I have too many "senior moments" for that!
Yeah, I know, use a checklist! Now what did I do with that checklist.............
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on which way the coach is parked, N-E-S-W, I place the sensor on the top of the tire that is facing North. That way the sensor will not pick up heat from sources which can be affected by the sun.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I keep one in the water pump area and one in the bay where I have other beverages. I take the one out of the beverage bay and wedge it behind the grab handle. The bungee ball that keeps the water hose is wrapped around the handle as a mnemonic aid. I have considered one for the wet bay. I set the inside unit for scan and can monitor temps when cold outside. The pump by is also set to alarm at 32F.

Sigh....37 years as a pilot has me hardwired to OCD. I like the slide out spot, too, if I can find a non crush zone. Signal propagation is an issue with multiple zones, that is, finding the spot that all the devices communicate and doesn't interfere with the wifes' notion of where it should be. Tsk
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #20

We have a LaCrosse wireless I/O thermometer. They recommended not leaving the remote sensor on the outside of the rig while driving. I mounted it on the outside wall aft of the house door, in the shade of the awning. It's easy to unclip before we move.

When were home in the colder months, I put the remote sensor on the kitchen counter in the MH and take the base unit into the S&B. That way I can keep tabs on how cold it gets in the parked rig. I have a plug-in digital thermostat running an oil-filled heater to keep the rig above freezing inside.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
The fact is that no matter where you mount it, it will be influenced by other factors. Infrared heat bounced off the macadam, sunlight, breezes, etc.

Joe, your solution of in the open bottomed propane bay is as good as any other. The amount of cooling from the evaporation of gas inside the tank is not going to influence the reading, besides any cooler air will drop out the bottom of the bay. It would be pretty accurate while moving down the road, too. The underside of a slide is fine when parked, but other factors would make it inaccurate when the slide is in or traveling.

Unless you need accuracy within a tenth of a degree, I vote for the Propane bay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #22

The best place would probably be the exact center of the RV, under the floor between the frame rails, sensor hanging in the air with a partial cover to keep off road gunk. Not touching metal. But who wants to go under there to mount it? I just put mine into the mirror frame and make mental allowances for sun position. It's wired rather then wireless because it seems the wireless units go out right after the warranty expires. And no battery to contend with.

Have another wired unit in the fresh water bay. Let's me know when to put a heater in there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I wanted a place that would give a fairly accurate outside tempurature. Therefore I eliminated in a bay or in with the propane tank. I set it on one of the extended slide support braces...out of the rain and sun and not affected by anything else. It is first on my check list to get, when getting ready to move...but I have a spare remote...just in case.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #24

I like the idea of one in the wet bay in the winter. I also like the idea of taking the monitor in the house and put sensor in side coach. My senior moments always have a way of reminding me through my billfold.
dannynpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #25
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I keep mine in generator compartment up against firewall passenger side. Stays dry and out of elements. I am going to check out my propane compartment see if there is a spot high enough away from the road.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fun reading this posting. Lots of good ideas. I have been just leaving mine on the front step so I won't forget it, but mounting it in the propane or one of the other open bays may be better for the summer.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Depending on which way the coach is parked, N-E-S-W, I place the sensor on the top of the tire that is facing North. That way the sensor will not pick up heat from sources which can be affected by the sun.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
We do the exact same thing...works great. But, I put tire covers on so when I remove them to travel I can't forget the sensor. There's always a way to out smart senioritise.