Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
BoJango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Crawfordville, FL
Posts: 509
Jinxtv, My now, probably you have found your power steering pump. I had a 1996 Winnebago P-30 with a 454 engine. The power steering pump was for the steering only. They made a change before mine was manufactured and the famous "Auto Park" had a hydraulic pump, motor and reservoir mounted underneath the motor home chassis on the passenger side.
__________________
Simple Life
BoJango is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 03:26 PM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 62
Be sure of what the coreect fluid is befoee adding any. Trans fluid can ruin a lot of powersteering uf it is the wrong fluid.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJango View Post
Jinxtv, My now, probably you have found your power steering pump. I had a 1996 Winnebago P-30 with a 454 engine. The power steering pump was for the steering only. They made a change before mine was manufactured and the famous "Auto Park" had a hydraulic pump, motor and reservoir mounted underneath the motor home chassis on the passenger side.
I know some P30 MoHo chassis (our ‘91 as noted below on a P30 chassis) with the 454 used the p/s pump for both p/s and the hydro-boost system (the hydro-boost was used in place of vacuum power assist for the power brakes).
Our coach didn’t have the “Auto-Park” feature so I can’t speak to whether that was a part of the system or not.
__________________
‘91 Ultrastar Champion‘02 Georgie Boy Landau 8.1l Workhorse
‘03 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK toad
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:33 AM   #32
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
I know some P30 MoHo chassis (our ‘91 as noted below on a P30 chassis) with the 454 used the p/s pump for both p/s and the hydro-boost system (the hydro-boost was used in place of vacuum power assist for the power brakes).
Our coach didn’t have the “Auto-Park” feature so I can’t speak to whether that was a part of the system or not.
Auto Park doesn't use the engine-driven pump. It's got its own. Be happy you didn't have one (AP, I mean. not the pump in particular).
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:01 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Auto Park doesn't use the engine-driven pump. It's got its own. Be happy you didn't have one (AP, I mean. not the pump in particular).
Thanks n2zon!

I was referring to BoJango’s post above that read to me like AutoPark may have been involved at some point.
__________________
‘91 Ultrastar Champion‘02 Georgie Boy Landau 8.1l Workhorse
‘03 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK toad
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Auto Park doesn't use the engine-driven pump. It's got its own. Be happy you didn't have one (AP, I mean. not the pump in particular).
They did until version 3 came along sometime in the mid 90's, then it was pretty much a self contained unit, mounted on the passenger side frame rail.
__________________
07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_ Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #35
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
They did until version 3 came along sometime in the mid 90's, then it was pretty much a self contained unit, mounted on the passenger side frame rail.
I see. Ours was a '96, so it could well have been V3. Whatever version it may have been, we certainly don't miss it after it tried to "park" us on the highway twice. (Ever seen a brake drum glow bright red?) What a terrible design. Good riddance! Never again.
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I see. Ours was a '96, so it could well have been V3. Whatever version it may have been, we certainly don't miss it after it tried to "park" us on the highway twice. (Ever seen a brake drum glow bright red?) What a terrible design. Good riddance! Never again.
Actually not such a bad design, once you understood the workings of the system and for always having a few spare parts on board. I've fixed them and for temporarily disabling them while on the road and for more than once. I believe the last version did away with the rotten green switch as well, so that took care of most problems. Actually if one just changes that one pressure sw. out, every so often, most all their problems would disappear.
Having said all this, I do love my air brakes now and don't ever want to go back.
__________________
07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_ Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:10 AM   #37
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: NY State
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Actually not such a bad design, once you understood the workings of the system and for always having a few spare parts on board. I've fixed them and for temporarily disabling them while on the road and for more than once. I believe the last version did away with the rotten green switch as well, so that took care of most problems. Actually if one just changes that one pressure sw. out, every so often, most all their problems would disappear.
Having said all this, I do love my air brakes now and don't ever want to go back.
I fear we will have to agree to disagree about whether a design that needs to be disabled while traveling more than once (each!) and for which one must carry spare parts as being "not such a bad design" (smile).
__________________
John
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
tropical36's Avatar
 
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I fear we will have to agree to disagree about whether a design that needs to be disabled while traveling more than once (each!) and for which one must carry spare parts as being "not such a bad design" (smile).
I do get where you're coming from, but at the same time, there's other things that require constant Maintenance as well. Last time we had a problem in our old coach, I just pulled over and disconnected it. Then for fixing it later. I must admit it was a PITA for awhile with DW having to get out and block the wheels when parking.
Again, if the main pressure sw. was changed out about every 15K miles or so, many would never experience a lockup.
All this because no one wanted to build a transmission heavy enough for a parking pawl to hold more than 15K GVW.
__________________
07 Revolution LE 40E_1 1/2 Baths_Spartan MM Chassis_06 400HP C9 CAT_ Allison 3000
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Eastern outskirts of Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
All this because no one wanted to build a transmission heavy enough for a parking pawl to hold more than 15K GVW.
You mean that leftover stick brake from my old soap box derby days won’t work?
__________________
‘91 Ultrastar Champion‘02 Georgie Boy Landau 8.1l Workhorse
‘03 Jeep Wrangler TJ 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK toad
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:53 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 6,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
All this because no one wanted to build a transmission heavy enough for a parking pawl to hold more than 15K GVW.
Allison has parking pawls in a few of their transmissions ( 1000, 2200 and 2350 are all close-ratio with parking pawl) Our W24 has a parking pawl and 24,000 pound GVW.

SO glad I never had a problem other than a leaking apply/release chamber on our old 1993 P30 chassis.

Has the OP (Jinxtv) had any luck yet? Inquiring minds.........
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:09 PM   #41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Fall City, Washington
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
Be sure of what the coreect fluid is befoee adding any. Trans fluid can ruin a lot of powersteering uf it is the wrong fluid.
It's funny (I guess): the guy who gave me the Trans fluid told me a story a few months before that about how he accidentally added gas where diesel goes (or maybe vice versa) and almost ruined his truck.
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:17 PM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Fall City, Washington
Posts: 89
Sorry, got locked out of my Gmail account for almost a week so I wasn't seeing any updates for the thread.

I have an appointment at a mechanics tomorrow and I really hope they don't have to special order any parts.

Thanks for all the info and advice. The brakes are very soft and that happened in tandem with the steering issue so I'd guess they probably are connected. I read through all the posts and will probably go through them all again.

I will update when I have an update.
Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bounder, chevy motor, fleetwood, fluid, power, steering



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil leak - brake fluid and steering fluid checks? RockChucker Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 7 10-28-2021 11:04 PM
Power steering or mystery cylinder Leaking? Seacrazy MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 10-03-2020 11:04 AM
Jeep Cherokee 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder turbo? Sarz272000 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 10 08-08-2020 01:27 PM
Winnebago View 5 cylinder versus 6 cylinder leeutterback Sprinter Chassis Forum 10 01-18-2012 03:05 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.