Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Where is my power steering fluid cylinder?

Hi. I am trying to add some Hydra Trans Tune to my power steering fluid but first I need to find it and open it. I guess it's supposed to be accessed from the House inside? I lifted the cover and I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I was thinking it may be the thing upper left (in the expanded pic and then closer up in the other pic) and that it may open with a wrench. Does that seem right? I wouldn't want to wrench open and put steering fluid into something entirely different.

I have a '92 Fleetwood Bounder class A with a Chevy engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220507_203009365.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	364778   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220507_203040525.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	364779  

Jinxtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #2

Bottom picture looks like ac compressor.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
that's your air conditioning compressor. Don't touch that.

I'd bet the reservoir is accessed from the front grill, and may not be easily accessible.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Bottom picture looks like ac compressor.
Okay, sounds like a bad place for power steering fluid then!
Old 05-07-2022, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
that's your air conditioning compressor. Don't touch that.

I'd bet the reservoir is accessed from the front grill, and may not be easily accessible.
That sounds likely. I was telling someone about my power steering issue and opened the front grill and they didn't see it and said it must be accessed from inside, but if it's not easily accessible then maybe they just didn't see it.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is the problem you are trying to solve by adding Hydra Trans Tune?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What is the problem you are trying to solve by adding Hydra Trans Tune?
My power steering suddenly stopped working.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #8

Looks like you have a gas engine. Power steering pump typically has the reservoir mounted to the pump. The pump is belt driven, so it will be on the front of the engine usually on the drivers side and often low and difficult to reach. The dip stick should be attached to the cap.
If it stopped suddenly, belt may have broken or if slowly you may have a leak.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #9

Just Guessing

Maybe this will help, your pump should be low on the DS as mentioned, follow the large hose up to the reservoir. See post #7 pic

This should the same chassis as yours.

https://www.rvforum.net/threads/p30-...ng-pump.85377/
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
PS tank will be a round tank with a dip stick/filler on the top cover. Under the cover will be a filter with a spring holding it down in place. 2 hoses going to it, one big, the other smaller return line.

Your PS pump will also supply the hydraulic pressure needed to release you park brake. At least that's how my old 1993 Chevy chassis was set up.

If your PS suddenly stopped working, check the belt to the pump first, then the level in the reservoir. If those are both OK, you might have a bad pump, but they usually just get worse and worse, rather than quitting suddenly.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #11

Our ‘91 P30 chassis it was thru the front hood and mounted to the firewall, driver side of engine. Painted black with a typical p/s twist cap type of top. As I remember, reservoir was about the size of a 1 pint can.

You might get the Chevrolet Motorhome Chassis Manual and learn of all the idiosyncrasies of that chassis. It’s available in the Files section above.
There might be a picture of the, p/s fluid reservoir, I don’t remember.

Your also need to upgrade, at a minimum, your driver side bell crank if you haven’t already. There is one on the passenger side as well.
Our coach only had 17k miles on it when we got her - the driver bell crank was worn out.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #12

Yikes. I just googled "bell crank" and it does sound like something that may not be working properly on my rig. It doesn't seem like something I can do myself.

It also looks expensive.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
Yikes. I just googled "bell crank" and it does sound like something that may not be working properly on my rig. It doesn't seem like something I can do myself.

It also looks expensive.
You can, I did - rebuilt all the steering linkage while laying on my back in the driveway, even with a bum right arm.

Replaced the driver bell crank, pitman arm (which was also worn out), and both tie rod assemblies.
Since I had new tie rod and pitman arm assemblies, I was able to remove the old one’s and match its new replacement for length and install the new. After doing this, I drove to an alignment shop and they barely made any adjustments.

I found the best price for the SuperSteer from Amazon. Expensive, yes, but we’ll worth it. The coach went for driving like I was riding a bull for 8 hours to a smooth ride in the park by horse drawn carriage.

Did you find your p/s reservoir?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxtv View Post
Hi. I am trying to add some Hydra Trans Tune to my power steering fluid but first I need to find it and open it. I guess it's supposed to be accessed from the House inside? I lifted the cover and I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I was thinking it may be the thing upper left (in the expanded pic and then closer up in the other pic) and that it may open with a wrench. Does that seem right? I wouldn't want to wrench open and put steering fluid into something entirely different.

I have a '92 Fleetwood Bounder class A with a Chevy engine.
Open the front engine/radiator cover and look for a round canister, located on the drivers side radiator support. It uses standard power steering fluid. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p30res.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	364837  

Tags
bounder, chevy motor, fleetwood, fluid, power, steering