Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We've owned a 31' Class C and now a 38' Class A. We have been to many places that we said never again an it happens again.

In the Class C we went to a company picnic/party that was held in a field next to a river. Nice spot until it rained during the night. Seemed OK when we were getting ready to leave, drove about 5' and the motorhome sunk up to the axles. Luckily one of the employees had a big tractor and he was able to pull us out without damage.

In the Class A, which we had for just a couple of months, we were in Alabama trying to find one of my wifes friends. The GPS started us down a road that turned narrow and eventually came up on a power line hanging way too low. Had to back up about a mile to the highway, wife had to get out and stop traffic so I could back out.

Beartooth pass in Montana is a wholenother story.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2017, 12:05 AM   #16

Needed to get to west lake village ca from the coast located a mountain pass road that would take me directly where I wanted to go. It was dusk but only a short distance. There was a sign on the road that read trailers not advised but I had a 24ft Winnebago motor home. It turned out to be a nightmare climb in the dark steep climb with many switchbacks and steep drop offs and very narrow road so I couldn't turn around. My wife spent her time throwing up in the toilet. I just prayed we would survive the climb morel of the story if there is a sign that says trailers not advised that means motor homes too.
Roy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:07 AM   #17

These events are funny looking back but not when they happen. First was in a 5th wheel.

Just left the toll booth on I-70 planning to camp in Topeka, KS at Dear Run. Wife said you missed your turn, I said no way the GPS says turn at the next 4-lane. Went up a small hill, crossed some RR tracks (must be a short cut), road narrows then turns to dirt with corn fields all around. Luckily the farmer had room for me to turn around. I hear about this every time we go through Kansas.

In motorhome now, 45 ft with toad for about 65 ft. overall. Going to Graceland to see Elvis. I plug in the actual address rather than looking for
" historic locations". GPS takes us through old Memphis in some less than desirable places. Make our last turn and GPS says "You have arrived". We're on a narrow street in a old HUD Government Housing project. Luckily there was an abandon strip shopping center that gave us enough room to turn around.

The only good thing about these experience is you become a better driver of your MH.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
To the Country Coach dealers used indoor sales floor.
You can see what happened in my sig!

^^^^^^^ That's Priceless .... lol
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not really an RV story, but here's my story of a time when the vehicle was a bit too big for the road... I was a passenger on a 44 passenger bus full of military folks on a staff ride to tour Franklin Battlefield in Franklin, TN a couple of years ago. Now, Franklin is a beautiful historic town just south of Nashville. The roads are narrow in town, and there is no way I would even try to take my dually down some of them. Still, our driver was doing a great job narrowly avoiding certain tragedy along the way. Just as I was thinking he had mad driving skills, the truth was revealed. His luck was greater than his skill, and there were limits to both. The bus cut a corner a little too sharp, taking out a crosswalk light and destroying a rim and tire on the right rear.

What could make it worse for this poor E4 driver, you ask?... Well, the Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major were both on board when it happened. I don't think he drove anything bigger than a bicycle for a while after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_104143_zpspwqytqsv.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	175539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160316_103520_zps8lpzvzry.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	175540  

Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hwy 16a, Mt Rushmore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	175541  

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
RVing since 1971 and did this twice last time was a month ago. Headed for Santa Fe Sky's RV park and entered the RV park into the Magellan, address came up and I punched GO. Like the warning says be sure to check the directions. Well I paid a lot for this GPS and just know it won't make a mistake. Followed the direction through Santa Fe downtown and up toward the foot hills. Made sense Santa Fe Sky's picture of park showed a great view of the area. Arrived a the last turn. Dirt Road up a hill. Road got narrower, GPS Lady says Turn Right in 500 Feet. She says you have arrived. Very small driveway with a little cabin you could see through the cedar trees. WE are in a 36 foot Class A pulling a 24 foot Cargo Trailer. Looked in the rear view mirror. Wow not going to try backing out must be a place further up to turn this beast around. Drive
another mile and the road narrows to about 10 feet with cedar limbs touching the sides. Now what I am blocking the road. Resident wanting to get to work blocked. Residents coming home blocked. Everyone yelling and screaming. Wife on the phone with someone trying to give us advise who have not idea of the predicament. Local home contractor building a home nearby comes out and helps me back the trailer into a drive. Unhook and now how am I going to turn the motor home around. 36 feet long the road fence to fence about 30 feet wide at the deepest driveway with locked gate. So back and forth bashing down little cedars and some barbwire fence. Finally around. Now because of the angle of the trailer when we disconnected can't get the hitch to the trailer tong. Contractor get his skid loader out and finally get the two hooked together. Now the people who are blocked are ready to kill me. So we get the hell out of dodge ready to kill the guy who programmed the Magellan. Long and short. I pulled the tail pipe out ripping the surrounding fiberglass, barbwire marks all over the back and front. Trailer sway bar and battery box ripped off by the skid loader. Blood pressure broke the gauge. Wife screaming you idiot. I am sure there are other stsory out there that beat this but I am sure this situation has got to be near the top. And one last work Caution with direction to Santa Fe Sky's RV Park. Great place they need to give good direction on their web site. Young lady who cked us in said this is not the first time this has happened to folks headed to their place. Richard
:roflmao: i couldn't hold but laughed while feeling your pain then... a great story and an expensive lesson delivered !
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
How about this one...not as exciting. I pulled into a Pilot J truck entrance at around 07:00 am on day for a non-fuel stop, all fuel lanes were full so I proceeded to steer forward (somewhat blinded by the trucks in que for fuel loading) only to turn and find barricades to a large pothole forward in the lot bypass lane (which could not be seen on approach until I passed the last truck in que and steered right). As a result, I had to stop there, drop the toad, move it, then back the rig out such that I could proceed through a fuel lane to escape. All the while being watched by truckers who were backed into the parking spaces and preparing to pull out while I'm the RV guy out there blocking many of them.(they were all understanding though).

That desire for a fresh cup of coffee cost me 2 hours of frustration and I ended up pulling away in absence of getting one (coffee refill).

Chances are...it will happen again!
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took the grandson on his first trip to Yellowstone about 4 years ago while still in the 30 ft. class C w/ toad. Things went great on the way. Showed him Chicago, The Bad Lands, and Mt. Rushmore before Yellowstone. We enjoyed Yellowstone and Teton National Park for over a week (would have stayed a month, but had to get him back to his Mom). Left Jackson for a couple of days in Arco, ID. to see Craters of the Moon National Monument. My OLD GPS indicated that I could save 50 miles and a couple of hours by taking Rte. 22. I thought that was a great idea until I was locked into the decision by a 2 lane Road that crossed Teton Pass. Rte. 22 climbs to 8432 feet and the grade hits 10% in spots. Had to climb in 1st gear at 3 to 5 MPH. I later found that Teton pass was listed as one of the world's most dangerous roads. We made it fine and the 19 miles from Jackson to the Idaho line only took 3 1/2 hours. Wife says if I ever try that again, she's getting out and walking (if she does, she will probably pass me). When discussing the trip, the grandson tells about Teton Pass before mentioning that he also saw some of the most beautiful parts of our country. But that's kids.
AA4TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:29 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can handle most any road but old trailer parks with less than desirables living there must be avoided.
Pulled our new 41' DP in, less than 2 hours later gone. Neighbors wanted to use our RV as a door stop in winds to hold the piece of junk shed door open.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Northern Wisconsin on our way to the Chippewa Flowage to go fishing. Our 1985 34 ft Airstream diesel towing our 16 ft boat.

Brand new Garmin which was when they first came out. Had it all programed in so no need for maps.

OK, just passed our turn to the east but no problem, tell the Wife I'll just take the next cross road. OK, here's one that looks pretty good. Nice road, asphalt and smooth. What's this, folks looking at us kinda funny like. Oh, oh, road turns into gravel. Ok, no problem, we'll just go a little slower. Oh, oh, road turns to dirt. OK, better turn around first chance. Oh, oh, road ends in woods. No turn around. What's that? Ok, bear just walked in front of us.

I tell the wife to get out and see that I don't turn too sharp as I back the boat into the woods to turn around. What's this? No? She doesn't want to get out with the bear. Ok, get in back of coach and tell me if I turn too sharp. OK. Crunch! Stop! Wait a minute, stop should have come before crunch.

Dented in back of Airstream, no damage to boat. Haven't heard the end of it yet and that was more than twenty years ago.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #26

Where Should You NOT have Gone?

Our GPS system took us right up 475 out of Santa Fe right up the side of the mountain this summer. We had just been there with the kids skiing in February. I knew we were in trouble but I kept thinking there was going to be a place I could pull through and then when there are hairpin turns at 15 miles an hour you know you're really in trouble . 3/4 of the way up we finally found a campground we could pull through. Otherwise we would have had to drop the toad and try to pivot that rig around on a narrow mountain road. And then we had to go down. I haven't drank alcohol since 1989, but I was looking at the beer menu that night at dinner. It was unbelievable. I don't cuss in front of my kids, but I think they learned some bad words that day. Learned that I've just got to look at the map because not everything can be trusted on the GPS system.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Hwy 16a, Mt Rushmore
Wow. Did you get through that (looks like mirrors folded in)? Or did you need to find a new route?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #28
OCM

Chaco Canyon N.M. 23 miles of dirt road that is on the U.S. registry of "Worst Roads in America". Went in from the West, in a 37' DP with toad, went out East and found the other "Worst Roads in America". Advice...ditch the MH at the turn off,buy a Humvee or horse before attempting to see a very interesting place. Or, you can use it as a test of driving skills, religious beliefs, and limits of suspension components.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote