Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #1

Where to add oil

We have an 04 holiday rambler with 8.8 l and 400 isl Cummins engine. I plan on changing my own oil. I have located one of the drain plugs but the manual indicates there are two. Still looking for the second.
I have found the large metal cap on top of the engine to add the oil. Access is conveniently located in the bedroom access. As I was looking at the engine from the backside doors I notice a place on the side of the engine(among the belts and pulleys directly above the ISL C insignia) that looked like a place to add oil. It has a plastic/ rubber cap and when removed it there was some oily traces but I couldnít be 100% certain this was a place to add oil. Anybody know for sure thatís for oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E232A16C-C7E4-4673-BC04-9052E335F41C.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	354676  
B2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Yup, the cap just below the TDC mark is an "add oil" location.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2003 coach (2002 ISL 8.9 liter) there are two plugs on most of the oil pans. One is located at the bottom the other is up about an inch or two on the side of the oil pan. Definitely use the drain plug on the bottom. I also suggest replacing the brass crush sleeve when changing the oil as they have a tendency to leak upon reusing. I generally keep several on hand.

As for filling with oil, I prefer to use the one on top of the rocker cover as the one on the front of the timing cover doesn't seem to allow oil to enter as freely due to the timing gears being directly behind the cover.

Mine is located in under the access cover in the closet and pretty easy to add oil from the bedroom.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:39 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use a hand pump to get the fresh oil in that front timing chain filler, and it keeps up fine.

As Mike says, if your pouring in the fresh oil, it may back up on you, depending how fast your pouring.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
On my 2003 coach (2002 ISL 8.9 liter) there are two plugs on most of the oil pans. One is located at the bottom the other is up about an inch or two on the side of the oil pan. Definitely use the drain plug on the bottom...
Drain the upper plug first, that should be half the oil in the pan. Makes it easier to move that bucket of oil. Once the upper plug is drained, then do the bottom one to get the other half drained. Easy! (That's why there are two drains, as draining into a five gallon bucket is so common on these engines, and you don't want to overfill that bucket.)

For adding oil, my engine has both the oil fill on the front (connected with a hose, in my case) and one on the top of the valve cover. I use the front one, no way I'm carrying oil into the RV!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #6

Many recommend Fumoto valve on pan or similar valve IDR names, if DIY. stick a hose on it and drain in buckets. You need to know thread and size I'm sure someone can tell you.
I've used 16 gallon mortar pan for M-11 that holds 10 gallons . A cheaper drum pump from HF with hose on it to pump in and out 5 gallon buckets. I make sure the oil filter will loosen then punch a hole in bottom. It holds a whole gallon don't want that to get away from me.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Many recommend Fumoto valve on pan or similar valve IDR names, if DIY. stick a hose on it and drain in buckets. You need to know thread and size I'm sure someone can tell you.
I've used 16 gallon mortar pan for M-11 that holds 10 gallons . A cheaper drum pump from HF with hose on it to pump in and out 5 gallon buckets. I make sure the oil filter will loosen then punch a hole in bottom. It holds a whole gallon don't want that to get away from me.

I installed a Fumoto drain valve at my last oil change per many previous recommendations. Should make it easy to drain directly to 1 gal cans.

Same engine as the OP, Fumoto FG2NS (Nipple Oil Drain Valve with M18-1.5). I got it directly from the Fumoto web site.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Drain the upper plug first, that should be half the oil in the pan. Makes it easier to move that bucket of oil. Once the upper plug is drained, then do the bottom one to get the other half drained. Easy! (That's why there are two drains, as draining into a five gallon bucket is so common on these engines, and you don't want to overfill that bucket.)

For adding oil, my engine has both the oil fill on the front (connected with a hose, in my case) and one on the top of the valve cover. I use the front one, no way I'm carrying oil into the RV!
Personally I don't like to disturb anything more than necessary so I only remove the lower most drain plug. That way I only have one seal to replace during an oil drain. When I drain oil I have two 5-gallon pails under the oil pan, one directly under the drain and when it gets nearly the top third of the bucket I push it against the other and it transitions from one bucket to the other with nearly a drop missed between the two buckets. I have absorbent pads under the 5-gallon buckets which makes it easy to slide them on the concrete shop floor. Plus you also have 2-3 quarts in the oil filter itself so no need to have to run a 5-gallon bucket to the top. When draining I like to get the oil flowing and keep it flowing to remove as many of the contaminants as possible during the drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I installed a Fumoto drain valve at my last oil change per many previous recommendations. Should make it easy to drain directly to 1 gal cans.

Same engine as the OP, Fumoto FG2NS (Nipple Oil Drain Valve with M18-1.5). I got it directly from the Fumoto web site.

Pertaining to the Fumoto valves, I know many like them but watch next time you drain the oil watch how much slower the oil comes out when using a Fumoto vavle compared to the full diameter of the drain plug. I prefer to get as large a volume of oil as possible flowing and keep it flowing to extract and carry the contaminants out of the engine with the least amount of restriction as possible and the Fumoto valves add too much restriction for my liking.

Just my personal preference as I don't care for the Fumoto valves for that reason.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote