Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #15

Exterior LED light attachment

I attached mine to the curb side slide out just under my awning.
Turned out great.
RJ 2005 CC Inspire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	159715  
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandsue74 View Post
I attached mine to the curb side slide out just under my awning.
Turned out great.
RJ 2005 CC Inspire

Nice location on side of coach. Looks like Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #17

Where they do not light up your neighbor's RV
frayfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayfl View Post
Are you one of my neighors lol
Dave9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayfl View Post
Are you that crazy ladie next too me that complains about every thing lol
Dave9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #20

I also added a couple of LED license plate lights underneath the coach just in from the edge. They light up the ground enough to see to get around without bothering anyone else, they also draw almost power if I'm dry camping. Cheap and designed for exposure to the elements.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #21

LED Exterior Lights

Yes, It is indeed Tiger Run. We go most every summer.
RJ 2005 CC Inspire
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #22

Original poster here:
OK, I got the coach home and am ready to do this. DW said I can't put holes in the side of the coach so I'm thinking of attaching the LED strip to the top of the slide just below the slide topper. The slide is 13 ft long so that should be plenty of lighting. I'm thinking of running the 4 wires from the LED strip along the top of the slide then through the rubber seals into the interior of the slide. Where the wires come into the interior of the slide is in close proximity to a panel with DC power available. It will be easy to run the wires from where they come into the coach through a chase made of the same wood as the cabinets then into the panel. No holes in the side of the coach.

Joe mentioned in one of his threads that he would not run a wire along the top of the slide. I can see it will be necessary to allow for enough slack in the wire to accommodate the slide extension. When the slide is stowed the slack will lay on top of the slide. Maybe that's why Joe didn't recommend running wires on top of the slide.

Joe, you want to chime in here?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #23

I attached two LED strips to our coach. One under the coach on the underside of the compartments, and one on the frame rail of the awning. Both are 12V and both use and RF controller, instead of the IR controller that requires line of sight. I used 3M double sided molding tape to attach both.

As mentioned before, attaching to the awning rail means that they can be used any time, awing out or in, and nothing on the paint. Mounting the strip to the underside of the storage compartments, means the light shines down and the source can't be seen when the compartment door are closed. I keep them dim enough so that they don't bother the neighbors. If I have any on, it's usually the bottom set, just bright enough to see where your feet are going.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Original poster here:
OK, I got the coach home and am ready to do this. DW said I can't put holes in the side of the coach so I'm thinking of attaching the LED strip to the top of the slide just below the slide topper. The slide is 13 ft long so that should be plenty of lighting. I'm thinking of running the 4 wires from the LED strip along the top of the slide then through the rubber seals into the interior of the slide. Where the wires come into the interior of the slide is in close proximity to a panel with DC power available. It will be easy to run the wires from where they come into the coach through a chase made of the same wood as the cabinets then into the panel. No holes in the side of the coach.

Joe mentioned in one of his threads that he would not run a wire along the top of the slide. I can see it will be necessary to allow for enough slack in the wire to accommodate the slide extension. When the slide is stowed the slack will lay on top of the slide. Maybe that's why Joe didn't recommend running wires on top of the slide.

Joe, you want to chime in here?
Tim, my thinking on this is that if you run a wire under the seal, not matter how small, water on top of the slide can get by that wire to the inside.

I just don't see the big deal in drilling a 1/4" hole in the slide wall up under the roller tube and seal it good with silicone. In my case, I had the curved "shield" under the tube which I removed and drilled the hole behind it, so it can't be seen at all. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Tim, my thinking on this is that if you run a wire under the seal, not matter how small, water on top of the slide can get by that wire to the inside.

Yes, I thought of that too, but I'm glad you mentioned it.

I just don't see the big deal in drilling a 1/4" hole in the slide wall up under the roller tube and seal it good with silicone. In my case, I had the curved "shield" under the tube which I removed and drilled the hole behind it, so it can't be seen at all. JMHO
Yes after looking at it again I agree that is the best way to do it and no hole is seen.
Both sold
Old 05-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Yes after looking at it again I agree that is the best way to do it and no hole is seen.
An RV tech friend of mine drills holes in the sidewall at a slight upward angle so water doesn't "go up hill" into the coach. He says it doesn't really wick into the sidewall backing itself only into wood. Just a thought.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #27

Good thinking hadn't thought of drilling at an upward angle. I'll be sure and seal the wire in the hole also.
Both sold
Old 05-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with Joe, first I drilled from the inside of a cabinet through the wall. Put a piece of tape on your drill bit so you can gauge just how far to go. Where I first drilled, I hit a metal beam and had to move back a little bit. No problem though, as it is inside the cabinet.
Then I made sure there weren't any wires that I would hit going to the outside wall. I ran a very small bit through the outside wall, went to the outside and drilled a 1/4" hole just big enough for the wire to go through.

Inside the cabinet, ran the wire down to the bottom and into that small (about 1 1/2" )space that they run all the AC and DC wires through. connected the wire to DC where it connects to the dome light in the bottom of the cabinet. On the inside I used white Duct tape to cover the wire and the inside hole. Then I used Lexel to seal the hole on the outside. It sets harder than silicone and makes a good seal.

Tags
door, led, light, lights