Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Now talk to that same trusted AC tech. They HATE those sealers for AC or radiators. They really mess up your system longer-term. I've never met a GOOD mechanic that will use them. If you are planning on selling the MH in a year or less, then go for it!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #16

The AC unit is likely an Evans Tempcon..... they were bought out a couple years ago by KODA , but you can still look up authorized repair shops.... they will be familiar with the needs of an RV system.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #17

Never put "sealant" in the system.
Fix the real problem with a new part.
Put dye into the system whenever it is being charged. For the next time.
Replacing 90% is someone who doesn't know how to diagnose.
Might as well remove the radiator cap and slide a new RV under it and fix "all" the problems while at it...
Old 06-19-2021, 07:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Any commercial truck repair shop will be able to handle that fix.
While reading the problem description and the two shops that merely re-charged the system, it's obvious what was NOT done; neither of the shops pulled a vacuum to actually test for a leak first.

Dave, This pdf might be useful: https://www.btrac.com/documents/svc-...i-feb-2011.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #19

Simply recharging the system is not a solution, you need to find the leak. Dye is the best way, anything else is just throwing parts at it. If the next shop won't use dye, thank them for their time, don't pay them a nickel and drive away, they don't know what they are doing. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Might as well remove the radiator cap and slide a new RV under it and fix "all" the problems while at it...
Dye was used 3 times...with no evidence of a leak. You guys that talk big must have mega bucks to spend on fixing motorcoach dash a/c systems. I don't. When the compressor locked...I opted for a DIY replacement with a system flush, new condenser, dryer and new o-rings where ever a connection was obtainable. It still leaked out after a month. My electronic Halogen leak detector couldn't find the source either and I didn't have the $4000 for Freightliner to repair the system (their quote) and if less than $100 of Red Angel was going to cure the leak....I was all in.

A/c repair isn't rocket science as many on here would have a lot of you believe. But if you can actually FIND a shop that is willing to do the work outside of the big truck places...GREAT. I needed a new fitting clamped on to my suction hose at the compressor and in all of Little Rock I found ONE shop that was willing to work with me AND had the room to park the coach and then crawl under to put the fitting.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Like most repairs, 75% of the cost is labor. Replacing a few "extra" parts that may fail in the near future is money well spent.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #22

Quote:
While a 30,000' view of a 90% rebuild sounds like a shotgun approach, a detailed review of how we got to a 90% rebuild does make sense.

First, talk to any trusted AC tech and they will tell you the valves commonly need to be replaced if you do most anything to the system.

Next the dryer. Same situation. Touch the system, replace the dryer.

Now we get down to what has the leak. Replace evaporator core/compressor/condensor/lines. About 6 parts if you count all the valves as 1. Not hard at all to get to 80% (Based on that framework, we are only doing an 80% rebuild.)

Now talk to that same trusted AC tech. They HATE those sealers for AC or radiators. They really mess up your system longer-term. I've never met a GOOD mechanic that will use them. If you are planning on selling the MH in a year or less, then go for it!
I have been servicing HVAC units for over 40 years, and I can name 2 trusted AC techs, so the idea you have talked to one is pretty amazing, many oem manufacturers install a sealer at time of manufacture, I have units running flawlessly for years where i have added a sealant that before had to be serviced (charged every year). YES the leak maybe could have been found and fixed if you had a full day to spend with the unit, or for $50 you can add the sealant and not revisit the unit again maybe ever... the sealant for an HVAC system is not the same as for an engine cooling system but they also have their place and are often the factory recommended repair, Again if you are putting your faith in 90% of the people who call themselves "techs" I would say it is misplaced trust... JMHO A/C systems are relatively simple systems compress expand compress... cheers
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Like most repairs, 75% of the cost is labor. Replacing a few "extra" parts that may fail in the near future is money well spent.
No it is not "money well spent" you have 3 wear parts on an engine driven refrigeration (ac) system, the drive belt (yes replace it every few years it's cheap) you have the compressor clutch (could last the life of you system) and you have the compressor... again could last the life of the system... replacing good parts is a 100% waste of money and resources, and introduces particulate into a once pristine sealed system. why would one suggest replacing known good parts with questionable replacement parts in a sealed system for no reason other than a ill perceived peace of mind? YES if you have a catastrophic failure that has polluted the system then IMHO replace anything you can reasonably get to and mechanically flush the rest.
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I totally agree. Not too many people realize what these "sealers" can do to an A/C recharge machine when the machine gets plugged up with someone's band aid.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I totally agree. Not too many people realize what these "sealers" can do to an A/C recharge machine when the machine gets plugged up with someone's band aid.
Haha....and while we're here debating this....what brand of oil is the best?
Old 06-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKimball View Post
Haha....and while we're here debating this....what brand of oil is the best?
It may sound funny to some folks but to me, who has owned no less than five different AC test / charging stations during my years in business there is no humor about it. When these machines get contaminated with junk there is a significant expense involved for the shop owner which is who I was.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:08 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The 2 trusted AC techs I spoke of: 1 is a close relative; the other is his best friend since high school. Both have 20+ years experience, SAE certified. I've seen & heard stories of them fixing other mechanic's messes, and doing it for pennies on the dollar vs quotes from other shops. So, yes, I would trust their options 1000%!

There are 2 types of sealants: 1 is just like the 1 used in radiators (floating solids); the other is temperature triggered. Neither will guarantee no damage to your system. Yes, #2 is better than option #1.

Yes, an AC repair can be expensive, because most parts are hard to get to, but owning a MH is expensive. As they say, don't swim in the deep end of you can't swim.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #28

Check relief valve

Check the rear of the compressor. There is a pressure relief valve that may be leaking. Mine had bubbles coming out when running. It was dripping oil. This caused my R134a to leak out over time.

I was able to fix for a $10 part. However I then spent $100 on AC gauges and a Vaccum pump. I was able to do the repair and recharge my own system. All is working great now.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, service