Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Where to get tires in the Deaborn/Detroit area?

Gang,
We're presently on a trip and, will be camping in the southern Deaborn/Detroit area for the next couple of days and visiting the area. Our coach an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 CAT, has developed a bit of odd tire wear on the outer edges of the right front. It's kind-a doing the same on the left front but, not nearly as bad. The tires, Michelin XRVs, 255 80R 22.5 are dated 3410 on all six and presently have over 45,000 miles on them. The pressure has always been correct based on the actual axle weight and, the Michelin tire chart.

The "odd" tire wear is in a form of cupping. It started on the outer-most tread and now, is progressing inward and is effecting the second-in tread. The wear bars are fairly close to being level with the tread but, not there yet. We've been "hearing" this cupping for well over a thousand to fifteen hundred miles now. The reason I've not done anything about this situation yet is, our route, which has been paralleling the top portion of the U.S. in Montana, N Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. And, in all that distance and places we've camped and visited, there's been ZERO places that carry and or service larger type RV tires.

So, at present, we're in Frankenmuth MI and, tomorrow will be heading down to the southern part of Detroit/Dearborn area. I'm hoping to get a lead on a place to purchase some tires in that area. Now, it's potentially possible that the coach may need an alignment too. I'll look into that when I speak with any tire folks I encounter and, where it may be possible to get one.

As for brand, I'm not brand loyal for sure. Not all that happy with these Michelins. I do have the inevitable sidewall cracking that's only been reported on here by most who own them. I don't pay much attention to those cracks due to the fact that Michelin says that's ok, as long as they remain within a certain size. Anyway, if anyone's got a line on where to look into some RV 22.5" tires in the Detroit/Dearborn area, especially in the southern part, we'd surely appreciate it.

If you're wondering why I did not do anything about this situation prior to leaving on this trip, it's because the cupping was so minute that it was almost non-detectable. If you ran your hand along the face of the outer tread, you, for the most part, could not really feel that cupping. It's only gotten worse in the milage mentioned above. And, I feel it's only gonna get worse and, I'm not in the mood for a blow-out, even before it happens. So, any history or, experience with businesses in those areas?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
tires