Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Campers are made to be opened with a master key in the lock. Can you imagine having to open 150 campers every mourning with a different key for each one. It would take half a day. I carry my old lot keys in my motorhome. I can unlock almost all camper locks. I carry these to help anyone who has accidentally locked themselves out. However the deadbolt is keyed differently. Always lock your deadbolt.
Airstream used to install a safe in their motorhomes that was a pretty good safe. It was chisel proof and had spring loaded latches that popped out and held the lid in place if you drilled the lock. I ordered a few for my customers. They were $225.00 a few years back. Of course a professional safe cracker would laugh at these, but I don’t think pros are hitting motorhomes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
If you get ideas on a public forum for a place to hide things, is it still a good hiding place?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
If you posted an ANSWER on a pubic forum for a place to hide things, is it still a good hiding place.............
Because meth heads or people looking for a quick score check RV forums before they strike?

I mean maybe professional thieves but I suspect they already know the hiding spots. Your common every day opportunistic thief is going hit the easiest mark for a quick in and out score before the owner gets back.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
If you get ideas on a public forum for a place to hide things, is it still a good hiding place?
Exactly, we split down any monies and hide in many various places throughout. Even been known to find some 2 years later we'd forgotten a place we'd hidden it in LOL.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks guys - excellent suggestions ! I'll have a good look around.

Podivin has a point - I'm not going to let you know where I find a good hiding place when I find one .. LOL

Thanks again .. Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #19

You're right Paul. A few months ago everybody got mad at me when during a discussion about where they hid a spare key. After about 20 to 30 locations, I said great, now you gave the bad guys more places to look. BTW ikeep my spare key on a lanyard around my neck.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.amazon.com/Patrol-Hidden...s%2C210&sr=8-2
Old 10-21-2021, 06:52 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bolt an ammo can down in an area where it's hard to access, like the back of a bay, where it would be difficult to pry open, but still easy to access.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Not a bad idea to have a second wallet as well. Put a little cash and your expired credit cards and expire drivers license. If you're mugged, give up the phony wallet.
I spent a lot of time working in Mexico in the early 2000s during the cartel wars. This is what our security advisors told us to do.

One extra step is to have a separate sacrificial live checking account with a couple hundred dollars in it with a debit card linked to that account.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #23

Our toilet has a plastic wrap around base that hides the plumbing in the back - there is space to put nearly anything back there...

There is also room in our Class A basement up on the chassis frame rails.

Look around, you'll find plenty of spots.

How about in a spare (dummy) stinky slinky?
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
In the back closet are marks on the wall where I was going to install a safe. As I was looking closely at the safe, I determined it was a piece of junk. So I took it back, got my money. Have never purchased a second one.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We've had three RV safes....most people could get them open/out with a big screwdriver.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I don't know how most thieves normally operate, but if I need to really hide something from the DW, I'll just throw it behind the kitchen pots and pans.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a small gun safe and punt it in the back of a closet.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcruiser View Post
Thanks guys - excellent suggestions ! I'll have a good look around.

Podivin has a point - I'm not going to let you know where I find a good hiding place when I find one .. LOL

Thanks again .. Paul
Same here.

Has anyone bought a can safe?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote