Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Where to mount rear camera display ?

Hi everyone, I just got a rear camera system for my 96 Bounder and I am not sure where the best place to mount the display screen is. It's a Pyle PLCM7700 with a 7" display. For now I'm going to install the camera kind of high on the ladder side support looking down. It's got a 2nd camera input so i want to mount the 2nd camera(pretty inexpensive $20-$30) on the passenger side mirror looking down the right side of MH(yes I too am plagued by foggy window syndrome) I just cant figure the best spot the display screen. If you have a camera system.......how about posting a picture showing where your display is.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Since we all grew up looking UP and to the right at a rear view mirror in our cars, I'd say to put it up under the cabs overhead cabinets.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Since we all grew up looking UP and to the right at a rear view mirror in our cars, I'd say to put it up under the cabs overhead cabinets.
I actually have a rear view mirror attached to the windshield to see what is happening behind me inside the coach. Comes in handy if I am talking to DW but she isn't really there.

I mounted my monitor on the right side top dash.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wherever you mount it, if it has any controls that you might want to use while driving make sure you can reach it WHILE driving. In my 2007 35E Bounder it is hanging under the overhead TV up front - but in order to reach the Day/Night switch, or the Brightness or Contrast I need to unhook my seatbelt and raise up out of the driver's seat - something I'd rather not do while going down the road at 55 mph...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #5

I have a backup camera on both my RV and my Mustang. I am now addicted to them. The camera needs to be dead center, as high as you can get it. It is NOT a substitute rear view mirror, use it only for backing up. I applaud you for getting this system, you will love it.
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
I have a backup camera on both my RV and my Mustang. I am now addicted to them. The camera needs to be dead center, as high as you can get it. It is NOT a substitute rear view mirror, use it only for backing up. I applaud you for getting this system, you will love it.
My camera is running whenever the engine is running - I use it to monitor traffic directly behind me, or sitting immediately off the rear corners. It's invaluable for determining when it's safe to make a lane change. Use it for a LOT more than just backing up!
Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is mounted just under the roof and centered. I leave it on all the time and use it to know when I'm clear of vehicles I'm passing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #8

Bounder Rear Camera

I just purchased a 1999 Bounder 28T, it has an old backup camera and monitor (black & white) which is pretty useless. I would like to have a system where I could see behind me while traveling, not just backing up. Two questions: 1) what is a decent system with sufficient clarity to actually see behind, and about how much would it cost; and, 2) can one wire into a 12V flat screen TV to get a better picture? I assume these subjects have been discussed in the past, but I am new to this Forum (and to this class of coach), so, any help would be appreciated.
Willis Clarke
willisclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input, I think temporarily im going to get one of the no slip dash mats/pads and just try it on the dash next to the instrument cluster...just don't want to do a permanent mount and then realize i don't like it there. I'll update this post with pictures when i get things installed.
Thanks again everyone.

Tags
camera