Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
Senior Member
Mr_D's Avatar
Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 37,507
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Mr_D, a Limited Liability Corp registered in Montana is in fact legal in all 50 states. Federal Law and all that.

Ralphie, you are making some good points, but you are also guilty of confusing the CORPORATION with the individual who owns it. A corporation is a separate entity, separate from it's ownership.

Kirk, you got to read the fine print. The law in most states seems to be written to address people moving permanently to that state, and read such that "once a vehicle has been kept in the state for 30 days..."
Of course, if one drives the vehicle out of the state on the 29th day, and buys a tank of fuel and gets and keeps a reciept... well according to most of these laws, they have to start counting again...

Good legal counsel is always recommended of course.
Well first of they are NOT a corporation they are a Limited Liability Company. They may be legal in Montana but if you are a resident of another state they may be illegal there. Here in WA (and many other states) they are going after the illegal LLC's for taxes owed. Also y9ou may be in violation of laws on fuel taxes.
Legislative Updates
Requirements For LLC-Registered Motorhomes
Is your diesel-powered motorhome registered as an LLC, or limited liability company? If so, you might be required to possess an International Fuel Tax Agreement license or a fuel trip permit when traveling out-of-state.

The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is an agreement among jurisdictions in the United States and Canada for the uniform collection and distribution of fuel tax revenues.

According to the International Fuel Tax Association (IFTA Inc.), which oversees IFTA compliance, an IFTA license or a fuel trip permit is required for diesel-powered vehicles that:

weigh more than 26,000 pounds, or 11,797 kilograms;
have three or more axles, regardless of weight; or
have a combined weight (with towed vehicle) greater than 26,000 pounds, or11,797 kilograms.
The IFTA exempts motorhomes used by private individuals exclusively for recreation. However ...

LLCs Not Excluded. LLC-registered motorhomes that qualify under the weight or axle requirements are not exempt from the license/permit requirement — even if owners furnish poof that the LLC was not formed to transact business.

“To determine whether or not a motorhome is a qualified motor vehicle and subject to the tax collected under the International Fuel Tax Agreement, the member jurisdictions will look at how the motorhome is being used,” said Lonette Turner, executive director of IFTA Inc.

“If it is being used in a business endeavor of any kind, it is subject to the fuel use taxes collected under the IFTA, regardless of whether an individual or a company registers the vehicle. Because an LLC is a limited liability company, the term alone indicates that it is a business. This may cause jurisdiction enforcement officers to look more closely at the vehicle.”

About The IFTA. The 48 contiguous U.S. states and 10 Canadian provinces are members of IFTA. Jurisdictions set their own tax rates, and are only required to notify other base jurisdictions of the proper tax rates to collect.

An IFTA license allows the holder to file one tax return for travel in all IFTA jurisdictions. A fuel trip permit allows out-of-state registered vehicles to travel in a state for a limited time without obtaining a license for fuel tax purposes.

Fuel trip permit fees and IFTA license fees, as well as fines and penalties, vary across jurisdictions.

Qualified vehicles driven solely in one state are not required to have an interstate fuel permit or an IFTA license. (A few jurisdictions may require intrastate reporting or licensing for qualified vehicles. Check with individual jurisdictions for more information.)

License Or Permit? IFTA Inc. doesn’t make suggestions regarding licensing, Ms. Turner said. “It usually comes down to a business decision for the operator of the vehicle, whether it is more cost-effective to license or to simply purchase trip permits.”

If you usually operate your vehicle in one jurisdiction only, but make occasional trips outside that jurisdiction, you may wish to consider purchasing trip permits for that occasional travel.

If you plan to travel out-of-state before receiving your IFTA license, you must purchase fuel trip permits for each jurisdiction in which you travel. Permitting services typically can be contacted from any major truck stop.

To obtain an IFTA license, contact the jurisdiction where you are based; that is, where your motorhome is registered. You must complete a form specific to your base jurisdiction. If you qualify, you will receive an IFTA license, two decals, and information about IFTA compliance and record-keeping.

The International Fuel Tax Association Inc.’s Web site, IFTA, Inc., contains a Links page that lists the Web sites of every IFTA base jurisdiction. From the One Stop Shop page, you can select contact information for any IFTA member state or province.

“My best advice,” Ms. Turner said, “is to contact each state you’re going to, or that you’re from, and just make sure to get information ahead of time.”

About LLCs

A limited liability company is a business structure that limits the owner’s personal liability for the debts and actions of the LLC. At the same time, it simplifies the taxation of income by passing profits or losses on to individuals.

Owners of an LLC are called members. Members may include individuals, corporations, other LLCs, and foreign entities. Most states also permit “single member” LLCs, those having only one owner.

All 50 U.S. states allow the formation of LLCs. Applicants must file articles of organization with the Secretary of State and pay the required fees.

Each state has different rules regarding LLC formation. For more information, check your state’s requirements and federal tax regulations.

California and the IFTA

IFTA talk began to circulate in the motorhoming community after an FMCA member reported that California was enforcing the IFTA permit requirement for vehicles entering the state. On Internet forums opinions began to circulate, including whether inspection stations were checking motorhome registrations for LLC ownership.

The California State Board of Equalization (BOE) administers the diesel fuel tax program and the state’s participation in the IFTA. Several inquiries to the BOE produced the same response: Qualified diesel-powered motorhomes registered as an LLC will be considered a business. They must possess a permit or IFTA license, or risk a $100 fine.

Business Endeavor? FMCA member Allan Griefer of Las Vegas, Nevada, heard about the IFTA rumors. He contacted the BOE in California to verify that the IFTA applies to LLC-registered motorhomes even if they do not transact business.

Mr. Griefer received a written reply from Margaret Shedd, legislative council for the BOE.

“Such an (LLC) ownership of the motor coach is considered a business endeavor,” Ms. Shedd wrote. “The individuals that make up the LLC are business partners with limited liability when the motor coach is used by one of the other members of the LLC.”

In her response letter, Ms. Shedd said the BOE will examine the ownership of a qualified motorhome only if visual evidence indicates the vehicle is being used in connection with a business endeavor.

Visual evidence includes business logos displayed on a motorhome or towed vehicle. In such cases, Ms. Shedd said, the board will examine the registration and the specifics of the case to decide whether the vehicle should be registered under the IFTA. "Staff will not examine the registration of a motor coach that does not have visible signs of business endeavors."

Obtaining A Permit, License. In California a fuel trip permit costs $30 and is valid for four days of travel in the state. The permit also allows California-registered vehicles to re-enter California after traveling out-of-state if they are unlicensed for fuel tax purposes. The permit must be obtained prior to entering or re-entering the state.

To order a permit, send $30 (check or money order) for each permit to the Motor Carrier Section, State Board of Equalization, 450 N. St., MIC: 65, P.O. Box 942879, Sacramento, CA 94279-0065.

For a listing of locations that sell California fuel trip permits, visit the BOE Web site, California State Board of Equalization.

To apply for an IFTA license valid for travel in all IFTA member jurisdictions, California residents may call the State Board of Equalization at (800) 400-7115 or (916) 322-9669.

Getting A Refund. In California, if a motorhome owner is assessed a penalty for not possessing valid IFTA credentials or a fuel trip permit, the person may seek relief of the penalty by following the directions on the back of the assessment. If relief is granted, the penalty will be refunded.

A Request for Relief from Penalty form is available on the BOE Web site, California State Board of Equalization, under “Forms & Publications” as a fill-in form.

Lonette Turner, executive director of the International Fuel Tax Association, said each IFTA jurisdiction has the right to handle administrative remedies, such as penalty relief, according to its own laws. "Only if they don't have such a law would IFTA appeal provisions apply," she said.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft, HWH Active Air
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '21 Jeep JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #30
Junior Member
goodtime's Avatar
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
We have considered regristering ours in FL as it rarely spends 6 months in PA. FL doesn't have the inspection law that we have. Of course if buying new Mt or amother state with low sales tax may be right for you. When we bought ours that 6 percent PA tax was a killer.
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
Junior Member
goodtime's Avatar
Nor'easters Club
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 24
Try oregon i did and saved big time look at rmv web
goodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #32
Junior Member
luckyme's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
SD,TX, and FL are the most popular. My SD tags (total for both coach and car) are about $180 per year. No income tax, 3% sales tax on RVs purchased if you are a resident.
We use Alternative Resources for our mail forwarding service. They offer a number of services to help full timers.
This is their site HERE
  • NO state income tax
  • NO state inheritance tax
  • NO personal property tax
  • NO intangible tax on investments
  • 3% excise tax on purchase of vehicles, RV's.
  • LOW vehicle licensing fee.
  • Rank 47th in lowest private passenger car insurance rates.
Thanks Clay, This is great information for SD. Does anyone have a link like this for FL and Texas?
luckyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #33
Senior Member
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Does anyone have a link like this for FL and Texas?
Check out for Texas as they're headquartered in Livingston, TX.

RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #34
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
I am a Minnesota resident but was thinking of registering using a Montana LLC. Last night I saw the following news report. Check it out:
BattleMidway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #35
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,943
Thanks for the information. By the time I pay for the LLC it is only a few dollars more with no hassle to do it here in Missouri.
You just have to remember the tax doesn't stop. Personal Property tax every year.
new coach could cost you 10 grand
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mileage register on Toad? chapdog Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 42 07-20-2011 10:06 AM
Itasca fwd floor register heater issue Normy Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 15 11-02-2009 09:24 AM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.