Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Why not just coach her on how to signal you when to stop. And teach her to use the same signal each time for the same command. Nothing is more comical than to see the person standing behind a vehicle being backed and flailing the arms as if they are trying to disperse a pungent odor.

You should learn how to interpret what you are seeing in the camera and the mirrors. Sorry to be so blunt, but know where you are going and what is out there that can get you. Check out the area before you start to back into a slot.

My desire for having the 2-way radio is not as much for communicating when backing up (yes, hand signals will do fine) but more for communicating Car-to-Coach, for running around the campsite, hiking trails, and when she "loses" me in the Home Depot store.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Motorola. FRS type. They have several in the $60-$90 range for a pair. I think the ones we have are the 400 model.

Have had cheaper Midland and Cobra units - they are marginal at best. Aa
x2 - have had mine for 8 yrs without any problems. Motorola is my number one choice.
Ksatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #17

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone tell me what FRS is? Just tell me what the letters stand for and I can probably google it and figure it out.

Thanks,
Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #18

FRS = Family Radio Service. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) pretty much defines a few channels (radio frequencies) that can be used for wireless communication devices and they set aside a few channels for use with walkie talkies that don't need a license. These are not CB (Citizens Band) frequencies.

EDIT: everything you wanted to know and then some...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

....and what I just found out was that you can now use the GMRS... licensed channels without a license beginning last month provided they are used at low power. I'm not sure that most people give a flip about these FCC regs for low powered devices. The technology is really quite old and went and left in a flash... except they do come in handy for our applications.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but can someone tell me what FRS is? Just tell me what the letters stand for and I can probably google it and figure it out.

Thanks,
Jack
Family Radio Service - private, short distance, two way radio service. Hope this helps.
Ksatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #20

We have the Cobra CXT1035R walkie-talkies. More than a basic unit, but they work great for communicating while parking or from coach to car when driving separately.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #21

I just open my driver side window...have my wife go to the back of the fiver where I can't see her and let her YELL at me!!! No muss, no fuss, NO BATTERIES NEEDED, and provides some brief yet intense entertainment for our new neighbors!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We just use our cell phones when necessary.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #23

I just bought the Midland T30's at Wal-Mart for $39. Sound is a bit tinny, but range is good & transmission is clear and crisp. I set the 'Roger Beep' to off. The Weather Radio function is useless unless you have a very strong signal.
Rick-Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My desire for having the 2-way radio is not as much for communicating when backing up (yes, hand signals will do fine) but more for communicating Car-to-Coach, for running around the campsite, hiking trails, and when she "loses" me in the Home Depot store.

That changes the narrative a bit. Those radios are good for finding each other at WM or HD. They pose an issue that may be a problem. They work by line-of-sight, meaning that if there is a hill or large structure between you both. They will not allow much, if any, communication.

So, if a fair distance developed between the MH and car, you probably will not make contact.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #25

Ahhh the fun of getting down our drive, and across the river.
We live in a cell signal challenged area. There is no hand signal or yelling at the backup camera for us. I have to hear my husbands response to how close is the tree and are you still on the road. lol Getting down the drive and back up is quite the complex project. Friends that have visited have requested a video.

Then there is the over the river (mighty spring lol) Its about a quarter mile of one motorhome width steep twisty road with drop offs and lots of trees. In a car there are spots where you can squeeze by someone coming the other direction but not in the motorhome. The added bonus is no cell signal in that stretch. So FRS radios to the rescue. I drive through in the car, guard the road and tell my husband to start driving.

For some reason I have 3 sets of FRS radios. My favorite set by Motorola are awol somewhere in a box from when we did the floors in our house. They were an investment and were used when hiking when reliability across distances really mattered.

Digging around I found a random set of generic ones I purchased in 2003. they work but they really mean 1 mile signal as in not even a block you could get the same response yelling. lol The higher frequencies weren't available at that time.

So off to buy something. I picked up Cobra rechargeable ones. Very basic but they have the higher frequencies. It also has the weather alert channel on them which comes in handy in these parts with frequent tornadoes. They seem adequate only used them a few times. Need to be on the higher channels 13+ to get any distance out of them even though they say 16 miles thats a joke on any of them. North Dakota on a farm maybe but not where anyone would need them.

They have also come in handy when camping in an area with no cell service. My husband went fishing and I was able to find out when he planned on heading back for lunch.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately, no matter chat brand you buy, they are likely made in China.

I got a nice pair of Motorola's at Home Depot that have drop in chargers.

They work great, but the push to talk button takes a lot of pressure to push. I often see the YL's month moving in the mirror, but can't hear her because she is not pushing hard enough.

Be sure to get ones with drop in chargers, as it is worth the extra money.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #27

Spartan Chassis
We use the Motorola Talkabout model MT351R. Works best for long distance. I use them between the MH and Jeep. And Jeep to Jeep on the trails. Also works good on the ranch for communicating back to the MH's . Came with charger and purchase on eBay used like new $40 with carrying case.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post

I got a nice pair of Motorola's at Home Depot that have drop in chargers.

They work great, but the push to talk button takes a lot of pressure to push. .
That's a good point. maybe I should go somewhere to buy where (sporting good store, bestbuy, etc.) I can get my hands on it before buying.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio