Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2017, 04:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
That's a good point. maybe I should go somewhere to buy where (sporting good store, bestbuy, etc.) I can get my hands on it before buying.
It could be the way they are held. My husband is horrible at pushing the button with all of them...and getting his mouth close enough to be heard. I even switched radios with him one day cause I though one was broken. I don't think he ever played with walkie talkies as a kid.

I find they work best if you hold them sideways across your palm and press the talk button with your middle finger. You get a more positive press and seems more comfortable.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #30

Which 2-way radio brand (walkie-talkie) do you recommend?

Why W-Ts?
iPhones, earbuds, done
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:47 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have used many different Motorola 'talkabout' FRS/GMRS radios over the years. I recently I pulled them out on a cross country trip with multiple vehicles, so everyone would have backups and they could be rotated without charging downtime. They all sounded very muffled compared to my current Midland LXT600VP3 set.

. . . so if anyone wants some old Motorola FRS/GMRS radios, they're yours for shipping!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
FRS = Family Radio Service. The FCC (Federal Communications Commission) pretty much defines a few channels (radio frequencies) that can be used for wireless communication devices and they set aside a few channels for use with walkie talkies that don't need a license. These are not CB (Citizens Band) frequencies.

EDIT: everything you wanted to know and then some...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Radio_Service

....and what I just found out was that you can now use the GMRS... licensed channels without a license beginning last month provided they are used at low power. I'm not sure that most people give a flip about these FCC regs for low powered devices. The technology is really quite old and went and left in a flash... except they do come in handy for our applications.
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of that before.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksatter View Post
Family Radio Service - private, short distance, two way radio service. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I'll check them out.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 PM   #34
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Cell phones is what we have now.
But iPhone now has new feature that prevents receiving calls when driving (the phone can tell when your moving - and gives a caller a message that you can't take the call). I like this feature and would like to leave it turned On - plus its easier to use a 2-way radio than to dial phone while driving.
Thanks for your reply.

In case you din't know you can customize the Do Not Disturb feature to allow your wife's phone to ring you while keeping all other calls on DO Not Disturb.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Why W-Ts?
iPhones, earbuds, done
Here’s a few examples why. Husband pulls out with antenna up as he goes to dump. Do you watch in horror as he rips it off the roof? Fumble with the cell phone in a hurry to make a call or frantically or yell at the back of the camper as they head for the trees. And why is it that you can accidentally call someone in less than a second, but to call someone in a hurry it takes 5 minutes. Lol Or the easy way to push a button on a radio and say “Dude...the antenna is up”.

Another example, get to campground. No cell service at all where u are at...nothing. You find how much you take for granted the ease of cellphones and wish you had remembered to put the radios on the rig before leaving.

Those times where you have no cell service and you need to have a two way conversation when guiding the maneuvering process. In our case just getting down/up the drive. Lol

Can you live without them, yes. Do they come in handy? Depends on your situation.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We purchased and use a pair of Motorola T465 hand-helds. Use them to communicate during close proximity and guided maneuvering (backing into campgrounds, tight spaces, etc.) as well as when we're somewhere such as a big rally or park and want to be able to easily communicate with one-another other than by having to pull out a cell phone and call.

The ease of hearing and speaking to one another is far more quicker and easier to do with the small hand-helds when one of us is outside the coach giving positioning directions while the other is driving the motorhome.

Also good to have in many places where reliable cell-phone reception is absent.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 AM   #37
YC1

Well Motorola of course!

I receive a retirement check from them. Telecommunications tech for 40 years. Best darn radios ever built.

There is a reason they call them bricks. I have had them run over by loaders and was able to put them back together. Not always the case but they are tough.

The pair on Amazon is a great deal. Those should last a life time.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cell phone on speaker if needed. I just usually let my DW stand back there making all kinds of weird hand gestures while I back in.. lol

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:14 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a pair of Midland LXT630 that I snagged off Amazon. Have worked well for “around the campground” and car to car. Like all of the radios in this class by all manufacturers, take the range claims and toss out the window. The only way you are getting those distances is if you are on the top of Mount Everest and the receiver is downhill in a large valley with NOTHING in between.

The bright yellow color helped ours stand out when the kids leave laying around.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For close in communicastiond it would be hard to recommend one brand over another, as they all work well

CB.. Larger, and for best effect you need a long antenna but the stubby antenna models will work for close in work... NO licende required.

FRS (Family radio service) 14 channels. Way smaller (higher frequency) low power. Perfect for backing into Campsites.. Many makes and again not a lot to recommend one over the other.. No license needed

GMRS Includes the 12 FRS channels and as I recall 7 or 8 more. HIgher power means longer range.. License needed $80/10 years.. Must have a clean "record" with the FCC to get a license.

HAM: Icom/Kenwood/Yesau are all good brands today. Much higher power. Many more frequencies.. Depending on the frequency the range can ber.. Truly amazing (I sometimes type to places like Italy and Japan) Each operator needs a license.. you get change back from 15 dollars when you take the test (last ( knew) that is the only fee.

Advantage of CB over FRS/GMRS.. Occsionally you will find yourself in the land of NO CELL SERVICE Even with the "Can you hear me now" network there are dead spots.. Sometimes CB will "Fill in" if you need to yell for help.

Advantage Ham Radio: There are places where CB won't help either. So long as you are above ground with the proper class license and a decent radio.. You can ALWAYS reach another ham.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
There is also a free cell phone app that makes it push to talk. Don't know how it works without dialing but it does.

LEN
Old 11-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #42

Howdy!

We gave up on walkie talkie type radios and now just use our cel phones.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio