RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #1

Which Brands and Models of Class A's?

Looking for a new rig. At least new to me. What are the Rv brands with Tag axel and Aqua Hot or some type of hydronic heating system? Any suggestions? Looking for a 2005 -2008, priced around 100k up to 120k. I prefer pre-def units.

I know high end Newmars, Beaver, Country Coach, Monaco, and Tiffin. Any others to consider?

Thank you for your assistance.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #2

Well... I guess you can add Foretravel to the list. We are very satisfied with our Beaver.
MO Fred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #3

One concern of mine about any high end coach from that era is the possible presence of orphaned components (hydronic heating systems, automation systems, proprietary slide systems, etc.)
Old 11-24-2020, 10:27 PM   #4

National RV (Pacifica, Tradewinds, Tropi-Cal) made some good quality coaches. They also owned Country Coach, I believe. They went out of business in 2008, but with the exception perhaps of certain body parts (front or rear caps or locker doors, for example), most parts are common to other brands as well. RV salvage yards can help you with the others if ever needed.

They also made the Dolphin and Seabreeze, Surfside etc, but those were gassers.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
American coaches in those years cannot be beat.
Eagle, Tradition, Heritage models will not set you back over $100K.
Revolutions are very good too. The only difference is Rev does not have hydronic heating in those years.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisok View Post
I prefer pre-def units.
So do I, but if you limit it to that, you leave out a lot of decent choices.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you'll be filling DEF up at every fuel stop. You won't.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #7

We bought a 2006 Bluebird Wanderlodge 450 Lxi last year. It's been great.
Prof_T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #8

I did quite a bit of research before I bought. I had no RV experience whatsoever, so this forum played a HUGE role in my (still ongoing) RV education. I wanted a big comfortable Class A. I knew that because the wife wanted that in order for her to buy in on the idea. I then studied years of manufacture. For me, the 2004 to 2008 years hit the sweet spot of build quality, reliability, performance and cost. I then decided that I wanted a top quality coach from a manufacturer that was still around. Coaches like Travel Supreme, Monoco, Country Coach, and so many others are not simply nice, they're absolutely spectacular. I was worried, however, about parts and support availability. Certainly, others who own these spectacular coaches can better comment on that than I can, as to if that is an ongoing or periodic problem or not. I eventually narrowed down my choices to Newmar and Tiffen. Both have impeccable reputations, especially for coaches built in those years that I was targeting.

Like you, I wanted to keep the price below $100K, in fact I really wanted to keep it in the $85k or so range. I wanted no computerized operating screens, no DEF, no pollution controls, I wanted a vault like build, top quality cabinetry, and rock solid reliability. I also wanted an Aqua Hot type system, for both comfortable heat and endless hot water. Essentially I wanted an overall analog coach, from the peak period of that generation of coach.

What I found eventually was my current coach. It's in beautiful shape, it was and is well maintained, it had only two owners before me, it's got a tag axle, and only 64K miles - it checked all my boxes. I turn lights on and off with simple mechanical switches, the heat and A/C are operated by old school thermostats. It's got a brand new residential fridge, which was a must have for me, and a king size bed. Even the price was right. It's a 2005 43' Newmar Mountain Aire, and we are very happy with it. Keep researching, keep asking questions, and eventually your choices will start narrowing down as you learn more. I can't speak enough praise about the guys and ladies on this iRV2.com forum. You're in the right place, as there is so much talent, knowledge, and kind generosity from those who possess both in sharing all that they know. Good luck in your search!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

Tiffin Allegro RED QBA -- awesome coach, bunkhouse for kids or kennels, 340 Cummins motor, it just works. Recommend every time.
Scott001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A tag axle comes with size (weight), not brand. It's included when the chassis needs an extra axle to support the GVWR, which typically means somewhere north or about 35,000 lbs. Typically that means longer than 40 ft too, but a few 40 footers are heavy enough to need a tag.

Hydronic heating is more expensive, so mostly found on luxury or near-luxury models, though often optional there as well.

National RV's Islander and Gulfstream's Friendship model may have a tag and hydronic heat, but those models weren't big sellers and thus seldom seen on the resale lots.

Tiffin Allegro Bus and Zephyr had both tag & hydronic heat in the models greater than 40 ft.

American Coach's Eagle and Heritage models often had both in those years, but the Traditions did not until 2007, when Traditions over 40 ft were offered and hydronic was optional..
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #11

Thanks for everyones help. I appreciate everyones time and experence. Here's to hoping the we have a covid free secound half of 2021.
Dennisok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a