Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #15

Any broken bolts on the front of the engine should be easy for a professional to remove.

It's the head and manifold bolts that are most difficult to access and remove. Accessory bolts - easy peasy!
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #16

I certainly wouldn't replace an engine because of a couple of broken bolts.Like previously mentioned before,if I couldn't do it myself I would take it to a good repair shop and them remove the broken bolts.and if they can't do it either,then I would have the bracket or whatever it is,welded to the block.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #17

If the motor is still in the MH, taking it to a machine shop might be a problem. I suggest calling around to locate a machinist that is willing to bring his tools to your MH and extract the bolts or drill them out and re-tap the holes. I certainly would not spend the money to replace the block before having a machinist try to remove the bolts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #18

I would buy a new rv. My answer to the original question.
shortboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
broken bolts are generally a piece of cake. The easiest way is to place a nut over the top of the broken off bolt. You can do that even if its even with the surrounding surface. Then weld the nut to the broken off stud/bolt. If its small enough, you can do it with a wire feed, but in general a tig welder makes the job easy. I generally just hold the nut in place with the tip of a screwdriver and then touch the tig torch to the broken stud enough to stick the nut to it. Then fill up the nut with steel rod and you can just turn it out when it cools. Make sure you wait until it cools some. They normally come out quite easy because of all the heat you used.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
Commercial Member

courtjester:

Great suggestion. I'll include that idea the next time I break off a bolt. Thanks!

Erich
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #21

I'd say 95% of bolts that we get in at the shop break due to the threads being seized in the hole. If you are lucky and it didn't break off flush with the surface you may be able to use a stud puller but usually the bolt just snaps again at the surface. If it is seized usually nothing is going to take them out but time and a drill. Can't tell you how many people have brought this type of work to the shop with some sort of easy out busted off in the bolt. If the bolt is seized in the hole an easy out is not going to work. Not an easy job at all especially when the engine is installed. May be impossible to drill out while still in the vehicle even with a 90 degree drill, access sometimes is just impossible. Also unless your very good at it you will need to helicoil the hole after you drill it.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBro View Post
does it cost more to buy a new rv or to buy a new engine and have someone put the new one in?
its a ford mallard 88 with a v8 ford e350 460 engine

I have to bolts broken off in the block and extractors won't work and im not ballsy enough to retap it.any tips would help to fixing my problem id rather not have to buy a new engine or rv.
My thoughts are to just repair it and it's not like the engine is completely shot. Even with a new engine in a nice coach, you'd be lucky to realize $3K for it in a sale and would be giving it away in a trade.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote