Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2022, 12:43 PM   #15

Put on noise canceling earplugs and they are all quit
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #16

I'm going to have to assume that the Prevosts, Newells and other custom conversion coaches are all very quiet....they better be for a couple million dollars. As far as production diesel coaches, I thought our '05 41' Gulf Stream Atrium w/3 slides and a 400 Cummins was fairly quiet......until I bought our '07 Monaco/Holiday Rambler 45' Navigator w/tag, 4 slides and 525 Cummins that rides on the 10 air bag Roadmaster chassis. I was stunned at how much quieter and smoother is was, practically zero wind noise while cruising down the highway at 75. No squeaks or rattles on the highway, only when on rough roads or driving over bumps, holes, etc. I am kind of a "Cadillac" quiet/smooth riding kind of guy so I'm pretty demanding. I like my vehicles to be "library quiet" as possible. Like most of my previous motorhomes and classic trucks/cars, I plan on doing a full sound deadening and overall "tightening" (make sure areas that are prone to squeaks/rattlers like slides, shades, etc. are tight)of the Navigator to make it as perfect as possible. I've had good success with taking old Ford pickups from the 70's that practically have zero sound insulation or engineering and made them drive, ride, and quiet like a Buick. I'll add a few layers of various sound deadening material (some material are designed to "strengthen" the structure, reduce vibrations, and others are to reduce sound) inside, outside, underneath etc. Apply some commercial rubberized undercoating in key locations. Most likely install some KONI shocks all around, check bushings, balance tires, check all door and window seals....basically anything that can cause additional vibrations and/or road noise. The Navigator is already very quiet but I am pretty confident that I can improve upon the original engineering and manufacturing success. It's kind of a challenge and labor of love. Good luck with your search!!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthe70s View Post
I'm going to have to assume that the Prevosts, Newells and other custom conversion coaches are all very quiet....they better be for a couple million dollars. As far as production diesel coaches, I thought our '05 41' Gulf Stream Atrium w/3 slides and a 400 Cummins was fairly quiet......until I bought our '07 Monaco/Holiday Rambler 45' Navigator w/tag, 4 slides and 525 Cummins that rides on the 10 air bag Roadmaster chassis. I was stunned at how much quieter and smoother is was, practically zero wind noise while cruising down the highway at 75. No squeaks or rattles on the highway, only when on rough roads or driving over bumps, holes, etc. I am kind of a "Cadillac" quiet/smooth riding kind of guy so I'm pretty demanding. I like my vehicles to be "library quiet" as possible. Like most of my previous motorhomes and classic trucks/cars, I plan on doing a full sound deadening and overall "tightening" (make sure areas that are prone to squeaks/rattlers like slides, shades, etc. are tight)of the Navigator to make it as perfect as possible. I've had good success with taking old Ford pickups from the 70's that practically have zero sound insulation or engineering and made them drive, ride, and quiet like a Buick. I'll add a few layers of various sound deadening material (some material are designed to "strengthen" the structure, reduce vibrations, and others are to reduce sound) inside, outside, underneath etc. Apply some commercial rubberized undercoating in key locations. Most likely install some KONI shocks all around, check bushings, balance tires, check all door and window seals....basically anything that can cause additional vibrations and/or road noise. The Navigator is already very quiet but I am pretty confident that I can improve upon the original engineering and manufacturing success. It's kind of a challenge and labor of love. Good luck with your search!!
You're my kind of guy.

Things that are meant to be quiet, like our loved 2016 Lincoln MKZ, vs our 1966 Ford 427 S/C Shelby Cobra I built, that must,... be loud !

In the Lincoln I even hate it when my wife's purse squeaks a little bit, against the leather council. I've built other muscle cars and hot rods through the years being a retired autobody man, so most of them I used hush and heat wrap on the firewalls, floors, doors and headers. They help immensely !

When we raced 360/410 winged dirt sprint cars, my feet would get hot, so I even covered the firewall. You don't normally see that in these cars, but I'm a diabetic, so I need to be careful with high heat and cold.

I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you afford to cover most of the interior and engine bay ? How many yards (or miles) lol,... will you use ?
ZooOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
......Next trip there will be more.
I do not think Zoo is going to like RVing. It alway something!!!

Last year when heading north I hit a pothole coming out of a campground followed by a loud crash. Coming down the next downgrade a cold MGD rolled up to my feet.

This year was doing pretty good. Took a long break in a rest stop. No sooner did I hit the road, then beep ....beep.... beep

Just now I am back from prunning a tree limb that was hitting the MH and a plant that is sitting on the rear view mirror.

Last year there was this crazy bird that would sit on the arm of the mirror and peck at his reflection. All day long!

This year he came back so I put a plant up there. He loves it but still finds a pay to peck peck peck
Old 06-13-2022, 09:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooOnWheels View Post
You're my kind of guy.

Things that are meant to be quiet, like our loved 2016 Lincoln MKZ, vs our 1966 Ford 427 S/C Shelby Cobra I built, that must,... be loud !

In the Lincoln I even hate it when my wife's purse squeaks a little bit, against the leather council. I've built other muscle cars and hot rods through the years being a retired autobody man, so most of them I used hush and heat wrap on the firewalls, floors, doors and headers. They help immensely !

When we raced 360/410 winged dirt sprint cars, my feet would get hot, so I even covered the firewall. You don't normally see that in these cars, but I'm a diabetic, so I need to be careful with high heat and cold.

I don't mean any disrespect, but how can you afford to cover most of the interior and engine bay ? How many yards (or miles) lol,... will you use ?
It does look like we are cut from the same cloth . I am a tad on the OCD freak side, especially when it comes to our vehicles and RVs, so it's either go big or go home. You can pretty much eat off any of our vehicle engine bays. I've insulated the firewall, ceiling, floor, door panels, pillars of trucks and pretty much every nook and cranny. In regard to the cost, it does get a little pricey but I find that if I carefully shop online or even on Craigslist, I can get pretty good deals. A while back ago, I bought 2 large rolls of a Dynamat type product (can't recall the name off hand) for nothing off a person on CL that just had too much. Big car shows will sometimes have vendors selling product for a great deal. I've purchased mass loaded vinyl rolls, which are heavy but the ultimate in sound deadening and got a good deal online, same with jute backed foil insulation. I'm also very careful of how and where I use it and try to have zero waste. People think they have to cover the entire car in the dynamat type product but they don't. That product is only to provide strength and structure to reduce vibration so you only have to cover a percentage of the area. It's not meant to be a good sound or heat reducer. That's where the other layers of materials come in and they are more cost effective. Like I said, I like improving things and it's just a labor of love. I just detailed the basement bay doors and bays of our Navigator and am considering removing the black plastic door panels and doing some insulation, metal polishing, and replace the black panels with either brushed aluminum or polished stainless steel.....why, my wife asks?.....I don't know why, I'm just one of those guys that kind of likes things to be as perfect as I can afford to make it. You either get it or you don't I guess. Good luck and keep us informed of what you end up doing with your search!!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I do not think Zoo is going to like RVing. It alway something!!!

Last year when heading north I hit a pothole coming out of a campground followed by a loud crash. Coming down the next downgrade a cold MGD rolled up to my feet.

This year was doing pretty good. Took a long break in a rest stop. No sooner did I hit the road, then beep ....beep.... beep

Just now I am back from prunning a tree limb that was hitting the MH and a plant that is sitting on the rear view mirror.

Last year there was this crazy bird that would sit on the arm of the mirror and peck at his reflection. All day long!

This year he came back so I put a plant up there. He loves it but still finds a pay to peck peck peck
"I do not think Zoo is going to like RVing. It alway something!!!''

Is that directed towards me ?
Old 06-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooOnWheels View Post
"I do not think Zoo is going to like RVing. It alway something!!!''

Is that directed towards me ?
No, I was agreeing Fiesta and pointed out some of the more irritating noises that had nothing to do with a MH. Humourous in hindsight.

I enjoy it being quiet. One of the reasons I have a sailboat and an RV.

However, sometimes getting there involves noise.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
Quietest one I ever drove was a Bluebird Wanderlodge. It had over 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and it was still solid as a rock.
I had a bird as well. I had an FC 35 so she was noisey, but the only thing you would hear is the engine. No wind, rattles, or anything else. A true brick **** house.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
No, I was agreeing Fiesta and pointed out some of the more irritating noises that had nothing to do with a MH. Humourous in hindsight.

I enjoy it being quiet. One of the reasons I have a sailboat and an RV.

However, sometimes getting there involves noise.
I had a guy that homebuilt a toterhome for his motorcycle racing with his family. He he wanted to load up our sprint car and tools to go out racing with us. It looked great, but man, the noise it produced was louder that the sprint car 😬 You could hear the drive shaft, the trans and rearend, the for creaked, the mounted TV was shaking....Glad one of our local tracks is just 20 miles away. The other one is two miles from my home/shop, luckily (or maybe a blessing &#128124 is where we were racing !
Old 06-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #24

Buy a Prevost converted by Liberty. They guarantee it for squeaks and rattles for the life of the coach to the original owner. Lots of money, but it will be quiet.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #25
jrs

I can just barely hear my engine and most are likely the same (or close) it's not an issue. Can't hear the 3 stage Jake Brake either...
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Buy a Prevost converted by Liberty. They guarantee it for squeaks and rattles for the life of the coach to the original owner. Lots of money, but it will be quiet.
I have looked at a handful of pre 2000 years for under $150,000, with 80,000 miles to over 5000,000. One thing that surprises me is they look big inside without,...slides ? I don't know how unless they have a lot of mirror's ?
Old 06-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #27

The quietest DP is the one that's turned off!

But our Allegro Bus is a lot quieter than either of our previous two MHs.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
The quietest DP is the one that's turned off!

But our Allegro Bus is a lot quieter than either of our previous two MHs.
My old HR is coming up on 200k miles and I have to look at my indication to see what gear I am in.

I started out in the navy as a machinist mate listing to equipment run. When I was sleeping, slght changes would wake me up until I sensed there was not a problem.

By the time I got out, I was an officer sleeping in aft officer country. Same thing. One time there was a problem. Somethings that should have been running were not. #1 diesel started, then #2 diesel started. I was getting dressed and waking up other officers.

So I like to hear things running. If I am running my portable geneator in the boondocks, I have to crack a window to hear how it is running. If I am outside, I run my Onan because it is not very loud.

My criteria is not what is the quietest, but what is not very loud.

Tags
diesel, quiet, test