Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #43

My friend owns a trucking company (OTR 18 Wheelers) approx. 197 trucks. He made the switch from Cummings to Volvo with 10 speed automatics and he has never happier 3 yrs and 500,000 miles ago average per truck.He says the trucks get better fuel mileage and have next to no engine problems plus the engines are quieter running. And his drivers like them especially when running in the mountains, his trucks run all of the lower 48 states. If money$ is not really a prime consideration for your coach just get a Prevost with Volvo would be my choice using his experience..
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmiester View Post
Besides Cummins the other I would consider would be CAT or Detroit but they quit doing MH's some years ago. I have the Cummins ISM 500, no DEF or DPF. I have a DT466 International (Navistar??) in a dump truck that runs like a top and it is a 1985. It can sit for a year and then fire right up as soon as I turn the key. The ISM will crank a few times before firing, just a strange quirk for the ISM as I understand.
Just be prepared for Cummins prices, cheaper than CAT though. I will ALWAYS go to an independent diesel shop first for work or service. Everything Cummins has touched has failed in less than a 1000 miles from leaving their shop. Had a new muffler and pipe installed at their shop in Spokane, WA. The pipe fell off in Dallas because Cummins forgot to install the bolt to hold it, fell off at the turbo connection. It's a wonder the heat didn't start a fire in the engine compartment. I could go on, find a good diesel mechanic.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
My Prevost has a Detroit diesel. It’s bulletproof. Not sure if it’s available in other motor homes, but if so, it’s probably the best available. It’s known as the “million mile” engine.
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:51 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Rang View Post
My friend owns a trucking company (OTR 18 Wheelers) approx. 197 trucks. He made the switch from Cummings to Volvo with 10 speed automatics and he has never happier 3 yrs and 500,000 miles ago average per truck.He says the trucks get better fuel mileage and have next to no engine problems plus the engines are quieter running. And his drivers like them especially when running in the mountains, his trucks run all of the lower 48 states. If money$ is not really a prime consideration for your coach just get a Prevost with Volvo would be my choice using his experience..

So what coach maker uses Volvo? I haven’t heard of any.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #46

Prevost is owned by Volvo and gets a Volvo engine, older Prevost's have a DD.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacouser View Post
We are currently in a Class C and are looking to upgrade to a Class A diesel. Ove4 the years on different rv forums there are all different comments. But are there certain years and diesel manufactures that you would defiantly stay away from. We are looking for a used 2015-2019 some thing close to 36-38 ft.
What should I look out for?
I have read several of the post and there is a lot of controversy on the available engines. In your date range Detroit and Cat are not an option, they were not available at that time. That leaves Cummins (my first pick for you) and Navistar (I personally would not even consider this as much of an option). Some say that that the Maxforce engine is the old DT series engine and they are similar but not the same. Their fuel system among other components are different and their emissions systems are pre DEF. I own a fleet of 30 or so trucks and my experience with Navastar has been troublesome that is why I don’t recommend them. If you were to buy a Prevost then it I think would probably have a Volvo engine. So really your choice is Cummins, not a bad option but they have their issues as well. If you can find a 40’ An under coach with a 450 you would have a pretty nice pulling coach. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Ron View Post
It is not only the Cummins 650 HP ISX 15 but other ISX 15s series engines as well.
The ISL 400 had the same problem. Many owner's of Bluebird M380's found out the hard way.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Nothing by Thor, even if it has a cummins engine..
Narrows your audience, but trust me
Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #50

He's not going to find a isx 15 in a 34-36 ft coach
rogerray45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:08 AM   #51

Maxxforce 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Like the OP I'm in the market for a diesel powered coach. I have talked to several diesel mechanics and small trucking company owners and what I get is that you should avoid the Maxxforce engines like the plague and not worry about DEF as the way a motor home is driven it won't be a problem. The issue with DEF is apparently when the are used in city traffic or left to idle for a long time, not things motor homes generally do. If you're out on the highway the coach regens automatically and it's not an issue, or so I'm told. I was also told that Cummins should be your engine of choice. For what it's worth.

I have a Maxxforce 7 and no issues with it. The most problems were on Maxxforce 11 and 13.
Freddyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:43 AM   #52

I have two Maxforce 7’s in my fleet both had emission issues that led to engine replacement.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Also Navistar, Detroit Diesel, and Volvo, but you will likely find DD & Volvo only in luxury class coaches.

I would avoid Navistar if I could - it can be a challenge to find a shop that will work on a Navistar in a motorhome. A Cummins engine in a Freightliner chassis is the easiest to get serviced - most any diesel shop will be familiar with it.

Rush Truck Centers coast to coast work on the Maxxforce 10 in motorhomes. Had Navistar warranty work done at Rush.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
How is cranking the engine (dry?) many revolutions to build oil pressure better than just starting up it on the first crank were it would have full oil pressure immediately?
You'd have to ask an expert, I simply regurgitated what I have read.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Also Navistar, Detroit Diesel, and Volvo, but you will likely find DD & Volvo only in luxury class coaches.

I would avoid Navistar if I could - it can be a challenge to find a shop that will work on a Navistar in a motorhome. A Cummins engine in a Freightliner chassis is the easiest to get serviced - most any diesel shop will be familiar with it.
Cumming Great Plains just replaced the fuel distributor module in my injector pump a few weeks ago. The service manager said the work would have taken longer and been more expensive but for the Spartan side-radiator chassis.
One of their mechanics was thin enough to lay on top the ISC and do the work from outside the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:18 PM   #56

I said earlier that I don’t think there are not many options from 2015 on As well as the size they are looking at as the OP said they are looking for so I think it is Cummins, Cummins, Cummins. Detroit, Cat, Volvo are not options either due to date and or size of coach. That said I had Winnebago 39Z on a small Freightliner chassis and the 6.7 Cummins with a rear radiator. I would never and repeat never buy this combination again. The very large fan on the Cummins 6.7 engine is held on by 4-8mm 8.9 bolts, mine sheared all four bolts and left me on the side of the highway looking at a tow and a expensive repair. The radiator had to be removed to repair. I highly recommend you look at a large chassis coach with a side radiator and a 400HP or larger engine, preferably a 450HP. Just my opinion based on my experience. I have not had good luck with the Navistar products but I don’t think it is an option for the OP based on their coach age and size preference.

Remember to make sure you have a floor plan you love and the driver is comfortable when driving. If the cockpit of the coach is not comfortable for the driver you will fatigue faster behind the wheel intern shortening the comfortable driving distance. This was the case with my Journey. My Country Coach was the best in the wind and my Newmar Essex is the most comfortable overall except in high winds.

Good luck to the OP and hope you find a coach you like and enjoy.

Tags
diesel