Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 04:14 PM   #1

Which diesels to stay away from

We are currently in a Class C and are looking to upgrade to a Class A diesel. Ove4 the years on different rv forums there are all different comments. But are there certain years and diesel manufactures that you would defiantly stay away from. We are looking for a used 2015-2019 some thing close to 36-38 ft.
What should I look out for?
Tacouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
If you are talking about diesel engines for those years your choice is Cummins and that's it.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Ed View Post
If you are talking about diesel engines for those years your choice is Cummins and that's it.
Actually, Navistar built diesel coach engines up through at least 2017 model year coaches as well. Tiffin used them.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A lot of people say get a pre 2007 coach. No DEF no SCR less issues. I have a 2014 Cummins ISL 450 HP and so far so good. The one thing I really like is the cleanliness of the diesel exhaust. I never have any soot on my toad, better fuel millage, and I am doing my part to clean up the air. The Cummins engines larger than an ISL have some mechanical issues and substantially poorer mileage.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #5

In the years you are considering, Cummins is really the only practical game in town unless you just must have a coach with the Maxxforce engine. The most common issues will be with the emissions systems, especially the DEF heads in that year range. Those parts, however, are installed by the chassis manufacturer not the engine builder, so you may wish to ask about specific coach chassis, like Spartan, that have these issues. Several current threads about the DEF head failures that cross all coach manufacturing lines.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #6

Cummins B engine with the #53 block.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdd View Post
Cummins B engine with the #53 block.
He is interested in 2015-2019 coaches. The #53 block was manufactured between 1999-2001.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #8

Besides Cummins the other I would consider would be CAT or Detroit but they quit doing MH's some years ago. I have the Cummins ISM 500, no DEF or DPF. I have a DT466 International (Navistar??) in a dump truck that runs like a top and it is a 1985. It can sit for a year and then fire right up as soon as I turn the key. The ISM will crank a few times before firing, just a strange quirk for the ISM as I understand.
Just be prepared for Cummins prices, cheaper than CAT though. I will ALWAYS go to an independent diesel shop first for work or service. Everything Cummins has touched has failed in less than a 1000 miles from leaving their shop. Had a new muffler and pipe installed at their shop in Spokane, WA. The pipe fell off in Dallas because Cummins forgot to install the bolt to hold it, fell off at the turbo connection. It's a wonder the heat didn't start a fire in the engine compartment. I could go on, find a good diesel mechanic.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #9

The Cummins ISX650 is a bad engine; swallows valves. There is another Cummins that had bad wrist pins but I've forgotten what engine that one is/was. Today, Cummins is it for just about all over the road (OTR) vehicles, commercial and RV. Ford makes diesels for its pickups, including the big ones. Volvo is in the RV game, but only for the very high-end MHs like Prevost. It's really sad that CAT left the OTR segment. They are good engines. I really like my 8.3 Cummins... I think the starter may... and I mean may... turn the engine over one revolution before the engine fires... maybe even less than a revolution?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #10

Newer Cummins engines must sense oil pressure before the ECM allows the engine to start, thus the longer cranking time. This eliminates a dry-start condition.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #11

Diesel power

I'd stay away fron any navistar powered coach (maxxforce)with the EGR feedback system instead of def fluid use, am a retired tech from a municipality, a couple of years before I left someone in the fire department decideded to buy 6 maxxforce powered ambulances against the advice of all in fleet services, I rmetired 4 years ago but still go back to visit, every time I go there is at least 2 (33%) of them in the shop, not for minor repairs but major work.
The fiasco over this engine cost navastar millions and millions in lawsuits from users across the country, I'm sure they have addressed this and are building or using a high guality engine now, but that paticular engine I'd avoid it.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
I'd stay away fron any navistar powered coach (maxxforce)with the EGR feedback system instead of def fluid use, am a retired tech from a municipality, a couple of years before I left someone in the fire department decideded to buy 6 maxxforce powered ambulances against the advice of all in fleet services, I rmetired 4 years ago but still go back to visit, every time I go there is at least 2 (33%) of them in the shop, not for minor repairs but major work.
The fiasco over this engine cost navastar millions and millions in lawsuits from users across the country, I'm sure they have addressed this and are building or using a high guality engine now, but that paticular engine I'd avoid it.

To broad a statement. The Maxxforce 13 had all the issues. The Maxxforce 10 is the old DT engine from years ago and is the engine in many Holiday and Monaco 2012-13 coaches before being sold to the Rev Group. As the gentleman in a previous post said his 1985 International cranks and runs great. My Maxxforce 10 runs great, is non DEF and gives over 9 MPG with no issues.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #13

The diesel mechanic I use says DEF maintenance issues are going to be the #1 expense for fleet owners in 2021, more than tires.
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
The Cummins ISX650 is a bad engine; swallows valves. There is another Cummins that had bad wrist pins but I've forgotten what engine that one is/was. Today, Cummins is it for just about all over the road (OTR) vehicles, commercial and RV. Ford makes diesels for its pickups, including the big ones. Volvo is in the RV game, but only for the very high-end MHs like Prevost. It's really sad that CAT left the OTR segment. They are good engines. I really like my 8.3 Cummins... I think the starter may... and I mean may... turn the engine over one revolution before the engine fires... maybe even less than a revolution?
The wrist pin problem was on a specific range of serial numbers for ISL400s made in 2005. A quick search will turn up the serial number range.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel