Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
While 12 VDC should have hot on the black wire, I never trust RV wiring. I use a volt meter and check hot and neutral. I have found white hot on a few items.

Better safe than sorry...just takes a minute to check it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Jay whats the name of the park as I have camped at a few down there, and how long are you going to be there. Like one guy said you have a 50/50 chance of being right, what's going to happen if your wrong the 2 amp fuze on the CB will blow and you get a new fuze.
I'm at Token Creek until it closes for the season on Oct 10th. On the 16th I'll take up residence at Lake Farm until I leave for the season on the 22nd.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #17

go to the hardware store and buy a 30 cent flashlight bulb. With one wire touching the side of the bulb, touch the end of the bulb to a metal frame ground. If the bulb doesn't light, try the other wire.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Meter ---10/4.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
If it's not practical to go buy a meter or test light, use a spare light bulb as a tester. Hold one of the wires on the body of the base of the bulb and touch the tip of the base to ground. If the first wire doesn't light the bulb, try the other one. If neither light, turn on the key and try again.

If you don't have a spare bulb, borrow one from an indoor light fixture that won't be missed if you run into a problem.

If you have a choice, a wire controlled by the ignition switch would be better since it will ensure the CB is shut off when you pull the key, preventing it from running down the battery.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Joining the "Use a tester" chorus!
Most of my experience is with older trailers- white is always ground for those 12v systems...except when it's NOT

I think an electrical tester is the second most important thing an RV owner should buy, the first being a 500 tablet bottle of Aspirin

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jay,
Found this on the internet for RV wiring. I would go with the voltmeter as the answer and the link as a guide.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Perhaps there is a harbor freight near by.. That's an opportunity to pick up a cheap digital multimeter for about 5 bucks .. Otherwise black should be hot on the rv side . just strike the bare end of the supposed power wire onto a ground .( lightly and quickly ) It will spark a little if it has power
Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
Perhaps there is a harbor freight near by.. That's an opportunity to pick up a cheap digital multimeter for about 5 bucks .. Otherwise black should be hot on the rv side . just strike the bare end of the supposed power wire onto a ground .( lightly and quickly ) It will spark a little if it has power
...and might blow a fuse.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Jay stayed at Token Creek many times great park except for speed bumps. This place is shocking how big it is for its location. Oh I better say something about the CB hook- up to make this legal, hope you got your CB wired.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Francesca
Exactly!