Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #1

Which to buy???

Hello all,
We are thinking of upgrading from our 2014 Thor Hurricane 32A model with 25k miles on it to a 2016/2017 Thor Aria 3901 DP or a 2016/2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 36U DP.
I am concerned about the build quality of the Thor, since owning one, but after inspecting the Thor Aria, it seems to have an overall better build quality than my Hurricane. Thoughts anyone?
I am not familiar with Fleetwood products.
Both have the same chassis, engine, etc.
Both have very similiar floorpans that we like and are close to our Hurricane. I would greatly appreciate any and all opinions out there.
Thank you all.

G Man
G Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

I vote for the Fleetwood
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
If you want build quality, buy used for the same money. Traded our 2014 Thor in for what we have now and we could not be happier.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #4

I too, would go Fleetwood
Dano52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
If you want build quality, buy used for the same money. Traded our 2014 Thor in for what we have now and we could not be happier.
What would you suggest as far as used?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #6

My question is not a poll.
Any pertinent facts, reasons, thoughts, experience, etc. about your answer is what I am looking for.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man View Post
Any pertinent facts, reasons, thoughts, experience, etc. about your answer is what I am looking for.
If you'd like taking a short cut to seeing quality, first look for a side radiator and most all else will fall into place.
For the best bang for the buck and discounting the super high end models,
Going with newer, I'd be looking at Entegra.
With older and while they were still being built on the Spartan chassis, then American.
Note that the Revolution was and is built on the American platform, no matter what the name and stems from when Fleetwood owned American.
Don't like full wall slides and a deal breaker for me.
Going back to your original question, I'd take the Pace Arrow.
Just my 2 cents worth.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
There's a good discussion going on here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/whic...lp-328081.html

I love our RV, and if doing it over I would be looking for something very similar to what we have.

Must-haves in no particular order:
1. Side Radiator
2. AquaHot
3. No full-wall slide (our last one had one)
4. Air leveling (ours has HWH Active Air, but that's a luxury)
5. It must have started life as a high-end coach. Monaco family, Foretravel, Newmar, Entegra. As long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, it pretty much guarantees a quality chassis. He mentioned Spartan and American above, Monacos are built on Roadmaster chassis which are also excellent platforms. In Monaco (or family) you want the RR8S or if you don't mind rear radiator the RR8R.
6. Full paint
7. Check to make sure the one you choose doesn't have a problematic engine
8. No DEF or DPF
9. Good maintenance records

Residential fridge or not is a preference thing. I prefer residential, but there are plenty that take out residentials and put in RV fridges. Changing from one to the other isn't a huge deal.

Our last coach was a 2014 Thor with 12,100 miles. Traded it on this one and believe me we wouldn't trade back.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:35 PM   #9

Why don't you like full wall slides?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Quote:
There's a good discussion going on here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/whic...lp-328081.html

I love our RV, and if doing it over I would be looking for something very similar to what we have.

Must-haves in no particular order:
1. Side Radiator
2. AquaHot
3. No full-wall slide (our last one had one)
4. Air leveling (ours has HWH Active Air, but that's a luxury)
5. It must have started life as a high-end coach. Monaco family, Foretravel, Newmar, Entegra. As long as you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, it pretty much guarantees a quality chassis. He mentioned Spartan and American above, Monacos are built on Roadmaster chassis which are also excellent platforms. In Monaco (or family) you want the RR8S or if you don't mind rear radiator the RR8R.
6. Full paint
7. Check to make sure the one you choose doesn't have a problematic engine
8. No DEF or DPF
9. Good maintenance records

Residential fridge or not is a preference thing. I prefer residential, but there are plenty that take out residentials and put in RV fridges. Changing from one to the other isn't a huge deal.

Our last coach was a 2014 Thor with 12,100 miles. Traded it on this one and believe me we wouldn't trade back.

RobbieH,
What kind of Thor did you have and how much did you get for the trade in?
Do all the coaches you suggest come with side radiators?
I do understand the benefit of one verses a rear one.
Do you have any knowledge of Motor homes of Texas?
They seem to sell high end used coaches.
Thanks.
G Man
Old 03-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Why don't you like full wall slides?
When your brand new coach spends 172 days in the shop during the first 11 months of ownership because the full wall slide keeps breaking, you will come to hate them too.

Quote:
RobbieH,
What kind of Thor did you have and how much did you get for the trade in?
Do all the coaches you suggest come with side radiators?
I do understand the benefit of one verses a rear one.
Do you have any knowledge of Motor homes of Texas?
They seem to sell high end used coaches.
Thanks.
G Man
2014 Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C, with a purchase price of $115,000 plus TT&L, about $123,000 out the door. I swapped titles (even trade) for the coach I have now and could not be more happy. The dealership had it undervalued. I did some shopping yesterday and found 2005 Safari Gazelles for sale ranging from $99,000 to $125,000, and none of those had AquaHot ($11,200 option) or HWH Active Air ($9,300 option).

Not all coaches come with side radiator. Monaco made a huge number of different models, some with side and some with rear. I can tell you all Safari Gazelle models have side radiators, but that limits it to just one particular coach.

Motor Homes of Texas is in Nacogdoches, the same city where the Foretravel factory is. That's the extent of what I know about them. I got my new 33SW from MHSRV (horrible service) and traded it at a nearby used dealership after three years of ownership.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Source of confusion? "Both have very similiar floorpans that we like and are close to our Hurricane. I would greatly appreciate any and all opinions out there."
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:49 AM   #13

I like the aria for the overhead bunk (kids). Too bad newmar or other don't make something similar.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:
When your brand new coach spends 172 days in the shop during the first 11 months of ownership because the full wall slide keeps breaking, you will come to hate them too.

Totally understand! Our Hurricane had the large slide out break while being full times. Thank god it was covered under warranty!!

2014 Thor Four Winds 33SW Super C, with a purchase price of $115,000 plus TT&L, about $123,000 out the door. I swapped titles (even trade) for the coach I have now and could not be more happy. The dealership had it undervalued. I did some shopping yesterday and found 2005 Safari Gazelles for sale ranging from $99,000 to $125,000, and none of those had AquaHot ($11,200 option) or HWH Active Air ($9,300 option).

Not all coaches come with side radiator. Monaco made a huge number of different models, some with side and some with rear. I can tell you all Safari Gazelle models have side radiators, but that limits it to just one particular coach.

Motor Homes of Texas is in Nacogdoches, the same city where the Foretravel factory is. That's the extent of what I know about them. I got my new 33SW from MHSRV (horrible service) and traded it at a nearby used dealership after three years of ownership.
You have opened uo my mind about what to look for and get. Thank you. Can you send a pic of your Safari?