Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
From 2004 to 2013 most 40’ DPs have very little CCC unless it has a tag...enough CCC is very important for FT use. In 2012 a 24,000 rear axle became legal...up from 20K giving rigs enough CCC without a tag. OP, doubt you will find one with a 24K axle within your budget.
Once you’ve had a coach with a tag you will not go back to a non tag because of the improved handling alone plus the increased CCC you need for FT.

38’ max for public CGs is not true, especially out West. I do not know who sets the max length in public campgrounds because they have no idea where I can put my 45’ rig. Granted there are not many sites big enough and if you arrive Friday there will be a 20’ rig in a big site. Our favorite are USFS CGs that do not take reservations showing up Sunday evening or Monday and in 14 years rarely having to go to our second choice.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Do you plan to do much/any of the service or repair of the RV yourself.

I am very biased toward the direction of a SIDE RADIATOR (assuming you are thinking of a DP) if you plan to do a lot of the maintenance yourself.

If I ever get another one this is a MUST HAVE on my next coach. So much better access not only for bigger jobs, but just changing/adding basic fluids.

Even if not doing most of the maintenance yourself, I can't help but think it will be quicker, therefore less time and money, for a shop to work on those.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #17

Thanks for all of your experience and advise....... yes, I do plan to do most of my own maintenance and we plan to travel a lot. I have never thought about the tag idea, but worth exploring.

The search continues.......... I do enjoy hearing your advice and experiences...
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #18

We were just part timers but had a similar budget a few years ago so I will give a counter to most of the advice you have received. We looked at a lot of used DP in that price range and just couldn't get past the dated decor in those year models. We ended up ordering a new gas coach just like we wanted and never regretted the decision. We have since moved up to a DP but not at that budget. No doubt that the DP drives and rides better but when it's parked there is really not that much difference. The new gas coach had more to offer us than the 10 year old DP.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Newmar
Tiffin
Entegra

Quality coach manufacturers with good support.

40' without tag is typically the most coach for the money. For more money larger than 40' will typically be tag with side radiator.

Go back in years untill prices align to your budget.

Allow $5000.00-10,000.00 for tires, batteries, and bringing services up to date - as needed.
X2,

Might require a bit more patients but will be well worth it
Russ Potteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
From 2004 to 2013 most 40’ DPs have very little CCC unless it has a tag...enough CCC is very important for FT use. In 2012 a 24,000 rear axle became legal...up from 20K giving rigs enough CCC without a tag. OP, doubt you will find one with a 24K axle within your budget.
Once you’ve had a coach with a tag you will not go back to a non tag because of the improved handling alone plus the increased CCC you need for FT.

38’ max for public CGs is not true, especially out West. I do not know who sets the max length in public campgrounds because they have no idea where I can put my 45’ rig. Granted there are not many sites big enough and if you arrive Friday there will be a 20’ rig in a big site. Our favorite are USFS CGs that do not take reservations showing up Sunday evening or Monday and in 14 years rarely having to go to our second choice.
Ok, I got to ask; what is "CCC"??????
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
Ok, I got to ask; what is "CCC"??????

Cargo Carrying Capacity. How much weight you can carry for people, supplies, equipment, fuel, water, propane, etc. without exceeding the GVWR. In addition to total weight you need to know how much weight available on each axles GAWR. Many times hit limit of axle before overall limit.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Cargo Carrying Capacity. How much weight you can carry for people, supplies, equipment, fuel, water, propane, etc. without exceeding the GVWR. In addition to total weight you need to know how much weight available on each axles GAWR. Many times hit limit of axle before overall limit.
Thanks. Been RVing for over a year and never heard that before
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
[QUOTE=Roger G;We ended up ordering a new gas coach just like we wanted and never regretted the decision. We have since moved up to a DP The new gas coach had more to offer us than the 10 year old DP.[/QUOTE]
Your recommendation bothered me enough so I found what you’ve done. Bought a new 2012 36’ gasser around age 50. Kept it 5 years and now have a muck bigger Phaton DP that you do not like the gold strips on it.

Did you miss the Full Time use that the OP asked about and 38+ feet? 36-38’ is the max length on a gas chassis and at that size you do not have much Cargo Carrying Capacity. Even 40’ DPs in the OPs price/age range can be lacking on enough CCC for FT use...some as little as 1500 lbs or less.

“Ordered a new gas’s coach.........never regretted the decision......have since moved up to a DP”. So after 5 years you never regretted buying a gas rig BUT you got rid of it...I could not tell from your posts but it sounds like you may now be closer to the OPs situation of using a RV FT and realized you wanted a bigger rig with more CCC.

After 14 great years with a 04 Dynasty 42’ we just upgraded to a 08 HR Navigator 45’ which will last us until we age out...hopefully another 14+ years.
I would regret my decision if I changed after 5 years and Yes, I’ve been there and made that mistake before going to 42’. SO for 14 years I’ve said “Buy more RV than you think you need...ONE TIME and not like me” Granted that’s been on RV.net, not on here.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #24

So let me ask more....... and I may need to add to my budget a bit..... but is there a "best" time of year to purchase a new unit? and is there a "best" RV Show to get the best deals? Again, we are looking for a DP in the 40' range for a full time coach.
Happy Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pat View Post
So let me ask more....... and I may need to add to my budget a bit..... but is there a "best" time of year to purchase a new unit? and is there a "best" RV Show to get the best deals? Again, we are looking for a DP in the 40' range for a full time coach.

If buying new, I would not buy at show. Prices aren’t that special. For each brand there are nationwide dealers that are known for giving best deals, typically around 30% off MSRP. Can find dealer names in the various owners forums.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #26

For 40K more I can get you a 2017 Newmar with 7950 miles
Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Take a look at ours that we are selling on RVT. 2015 Fleetwood Expedition 40X. It's fully loaded with all options. May fit your needs and the coach is awesome. I'm anal about service and maintenance and it comes with a full warranty for another 4+ years. We are leaving the rving fun for health reasons. Our loss could be your gain? PM me if interested.
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Your recommendation bothered me enough so I found what you’ve done. Bought a new 2012 36’ gasser around age 50. Kept it 5 years and now have a muck bigger Phaton DP that you do not like the gold strips on it.

Did you miss the Full Time use that the OP asked about and 38+ feet? 36-38’ is the max length on a gas chassis and at that size you do not have much Cargo Carrying Capacity. Even 40’ DPs in the OPs price/age range can be lacking on enough CCC for FT use...some as little as 1500 lbs or less.

“Ordered a new gas’s coach.........never regretted the decision......have since moved up to a DP”. So after 5 years you never regretted buying a gas rig BUT you got rid of it...I could not tell from your posts but it sounds like you may now be closer to the OPs situation of using a RV FT and realized you wanted a bigger rig with more CCC.

After 14 great years with a 04 Dynasty 42’ we just upgraded to a 08 HR Navigator 45’ which will last us until we age out...hopefully another 14+ years.
I would regret my decision if I changed after 5 years and Yes, I’ve been there and made that mistake before going to 42’. SO for 14 years I’ve said “Buy more RV than you think you need...ONE TIME and not like me” Granted that’s been on RV.net, not on here.

Close but not exactly. 2014 36ft gas coach, 49 not 50 at the time, and the wife doesn't like the gold, I could care less. Not sure why my opinion bothered you so much that you felt the need to do a background check on me but I was merely trying to point out that within that budget a new or newer gas coach shouldn't be discounted as an option. I know several people who full time in a gas coach and have met many more during my travels. I'll admit that I didn't pay attention to the 38+ length in the OP but 36 coaches abound on a gas chassis. I'll be the first to admit that the DP is much more enjoyable to drive and ride in but when they are up on jacks, there really not that much difference between the two.