Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #1

Which years to avoid that have ISX Cummins's

I have heard others mention some bad years for the big Cummin's diesel called the ISX that produces 600 hp. One member said he was on his third teardown as the valves keep breaking. I have seem some very nice used coaches that have that motor but don't know which ones are faulty. I tried to google it but was unable to find an answer. Thanks in advance, David
skippy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #2

Which years to avoid that have ISX Cummins's

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...6868&submit=Go

Here you go.

Actually - I went back and looked and am not sure if this is the information/engine you are talking about. Still good info to know if you’re looking at a motorhome with one of these engines, so I did t delete the link.

Mr_D will need to chime in on this as he’s the one who’s been dealing with this costly repair X 3. The cost of one of his repairs is more than the value of my gasser - makes me love my 20 year old grasser, but I still am trying to convince my wife that a diesel in our future would be nice - just not one with this issue!
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Here you go.
I read all 50 ISX recalls and nothing on intake valves. Hopefully it’s the 600-650 HP 07 and later ISX as I have a 525 06 ISX.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

I remember reading about a poster on here having severe problems with his 600 horse, I mentioned it to a good friend who sells these for boats and fire trucks. He said there’s always some duds in the bunch but they have sold many thousands of these engines and put them in over the road trucks with no abnormalities across-the-board.
Maybe some current Cummins mechanics would be the best ones to talk to from their experiences.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

From what I read, it's the earlier ISX 600-650 hp versions that "ate" an intake valve. This version is for the motorhome application. There appears to be a piston rod issue in the heavy truck version as well.

I'm told Cummins redesigned the 600+ hp version of the ISX to solve the problem. The problematic one had dual overhead valves and the redesigned one does not. Search with Google and you should find plenty of info on it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OK here I am
Intake valve problem is not under a recall. Look up Cummins TSB150130, dated 05-Dec-2016 titled "Intake Valve Chordal Malfunctions"
Products Affected
ISX15 CM570
ISX15 CM870
ISX15 CM871
ISX15 CM871 E
ISX15 CM2250
ISX15 CM2250 SN
ISX15 CM2350 X101
QSX15 CM570
Mine is a Dec 2008 production date CM871.

The rebuild I'm having done right now is a preemptive one. The second rebuild was done in May 2015 and Cummins had just released a new head and acid resistant valves. Cummins can not determine if the head I got had the new valves due to "slipstreaming" parts. They used up the old parts first and my head was one of the first done.
Most of this is already posted in the Cummins forum on various threads about ISX problems.
Once rebuilt with the correct head and valves there have been no reports of add'l problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've tried getting a camera to the #6 intake valve without success. Did get a picture of the intake temperature probe and the #4 intake valve...amazing the amount of deposits on them from the EGR. I have a 06 525 HP CM570 engine with 50K miles on it.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I've tried getting a camera to the #6 intake valve without success. Did get a picture of the intake temperature probe and the #4 intake valve...amazing the amount of deposits on them from the EGR. I have a 06 525 HP CM570 engine with 50K miles on it.

I tried a second time to get a picture of #6..,this time I fastened the camera to a stif wire. By putting different bends in the wire I was able to get the camera to #6. Does not look any different than #4 above.

Tags
cummins