Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Pilot, none of us can hear the noise, nor predict the future...but I will say...many of the large rear ends do make some noise as you describe...and have gone thousands upon thousands of miles. While yes in the perfect world a ring and pinion won't make noise but occasionally 1 gear set does. If uncertain....have someone with knowledge listen for you...
Agree...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #16

The problem is just your U-Joints. With power applied (noise) with coast (quiet). Grease your U-Joints. Yours has 2 Joints on the Very Short drive shaft and you might be able to save them. BUT most of the times when you hear noise it might be to late.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try to find a shop that can/will run the drive train raised on jacks or a rack. It can be as simple a wheel bearing. A few years back I took my truck in and told the dealer it was a wheel bearing. They called me and said it was a pinion bearing, meaning a new gear set. After that bill, still noisy, ended up as wheel bearing.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Try to find a shop that can/will run the drive train raised on jacks or a rack. It can be as simple a wheel bearing. A few years back I took my truck in and told the dealer it was a wheel bearing. They called me and said it was a pinion bearing, meaning a new gear set. After that bill, still noisy, ended up as wheel bearing.
X2,
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #19

Has oil. Will check for zerk fiting and grease. Plate on housing says Eaton Axle, Model 19060S, EAD 508055 and has a spec number and a serial number. Customer was Dynasty.

Running on a rack is a good idea to. Hadn't thought of that. Also going to try to find an "expert" to ride with me and see what he thinks.

This morning one of the front airbags sprung a leak. They were kind of ratty so didn't suprise me. Now looking for some air bags and some one to change them. Any suggesions for source. I have a call in to the local navistar/international truck dealership here for his assistance, but no reply yet. Any one done front ones lately and what did it cost you? Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #20

The noise is most likey the ring and pinion. The "lash" or distance between the ring gear and the pinion gear has worn to be too large. The noise goes away on accel or deccel due to torque taking up the lash in the gear set. On occaision the the rear differential can be shimmed to tighten the lash without replacement of the gear set. You may also try a heavier gear oil to take up some of the excess lash.
Springer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #21

I would place my money on the rear pinion bearing. The fact that the noise comes and goes with loading and unloading tells me that it is probably the bearing. No matter what it is, it will require removal and disassembly. Good luck.
Steve 97 Imperial
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
Mileage? Check the U-joints.
U-joints will thump, grind, and rattle - but I've never heard one whine...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #23

I agree. Bearings whine, ring and opinions whine.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Bad wheel bearings rarely, if ever, will whine on acceleration, but not on deceleration - they will usually just whine ALL the time...

A differential whine under acceleration that quits when decelerating - or the other way around, is usually either poor gear lash adjustment, or worn gears...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
pinion bearing,the rear-end assy has to be removed to get the pinion shaft out and then press off and press on new brg. As stated prev. this can last for as long as you own it without any troubles except hearing it. Very common in big rig assys.
Larry
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #26

U-joints maybe, differ. gears possibly but probably the pinion bearing. Doesnt happen often but if its the pinion bearing --probably needs a re-build. Lots of labor getting the axle out from under the coach but its the easiest way to get at the differential.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #27

I have overhauled hundreds of rear axles over the years and from his description I believe that he either has a pinion bearing gone bad or the preload on the ring and pinion has loosened up causing the whine. Either way the difff will have to be unbolted from the axle housing and disassembled. If it is loud enough for him to clearly hear it, then the problem needs to be addressed. ignoring it can only cause more problems in the future as the bearing puts metal into the fluid and the other bearings.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #28

Drain the gear oil out and check to see if any metal in it. If no metal refill with the proper lube and keep on trucking. My nephews truck has had the rear axle whining for 5 years and still no metal so he keeps on going. Sooner or later all rear axles will whine some so if its not getting louder every day i would hold off on a rebuild if i was you. Just my .02