Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #1

"White knuckle" driving fix

As a "new" to this forum (lurked a lot but never posted) member, I've read a lot of threads about new RV owners, tips and tricks etc. I thought I'd post about our new to RVing experience and how it went from worst decision ever, to wonderful.

We started our journey when we planned a trip to a family reunion several states away. My brother and I live in neighboring states but several states away from most of the rest of our family. We got to talking and decided to make it an RV trip and visit several other landmarks on the way. Initially we had been discussing renting RVs for the trip and had gone as far as reserving one however DH and I had been talking about buying an RV for years and one thing led to another, and we decided with the cost of renting for that time frame we might as well jump in and buy one. (My brother did the same but ended up bringing home a 5th wheel lol)

After weeks of searching for something in the price range we wanted for a first MH I finally found one about 8 hours away that was in great shape and priced right. DH and I took a road trip up there to check it out and made the decision to buy a couple of weeks later. We flew up to pick up our new to us 2008 Fleetwood Southwind and the sellers were awesome. Took us for a drive to teach us about the coach etc. and a few hours later we were on our way with our new home on wheels. Needless to say, that was where the excitement ended.

First off, I'll say my DH is a car guy, ex-military and an engineer. Not much scares him but after our first hour in the new RV I was wondering if our marriage would survive the trip. It started raining, it was dark, and the right-side drivers mirror kept folding in. I still have flashbacks of us on the side of the road in the dark with DH trying to tighten the housing because "he can't see a D@&N thing"! My dreams of a wonderful multi state first trip was quickly going out the window. This thing was scary! The fact that he was so tense made me even more tense. It pitched and rolled and seemed like a massive effort to keep the thing on the road and any thoughts I'd had of helping with the driving died in the first 30 minutes. Thankfully I had made reservations to stop about an hour down the road for the night thinking it would be late by the time we picked up the RV, so we only endured the torture for a short while.

We managed to get the rig parked and set up for the night and spent the next few hours trying not to broach the subject of the disastrous maiden voyage. The following morning, I can say with honesty neither one of us were looking forward to moving on, but we put on the brave face and took off. In fairness it was a bit easier the next day in the daylight, but the thing still swayed with every wind gust, and I began to dread the sight of a semi-truck. I was thinking surely this can't be right...people drive these things all the time and who in their right mind would want to do this regularly? It was NOT enjoyable and after another 6 hours of white-knuckle driving, we made it home with the understanding from my husband that after the trip he agreed to this baby was getting sold.

That started my quest to see what was wrong and what could be done about it because I'll be honest, I was not looking forward to our upcoming trip anymore either. Both for the harrowing ride and the thought that I might not like my husband anymore after we finished it. I searched forums and watched videos. We even went as far as taking it to an RV shop where the owner took it for a ride with us and said, "drives just fine to me" and got me to questioning the sanity of the RV population.

What I came up with were 2 things, shocks and sway bar. We discovered it already had the upgraded shocks on it so we started researching sway bars. DH talked to a lot of people about it and during one of his discussions with an RV mechanic about installing them he learned that all RV's come from the factory with the sway bar on the "loose" setting and that all DH needed to do was set it to the "tight" setting and if he was mechanically inclined at all he could do it in the driveway in about 30 minutes which he did.

I can't even begin to tell you what a difference it made. That thing drives down the road like a dream now. No more terror with wind or semi's, DH is just as relaxed and comfy rolling down the road now as if he were driving our SUV. Our first trip was amazing, and it was kind of funny as we were going along, we could actually tell which rigs had the "fix" and which ones didn't by watching how much they swayed going down the road.

DH has since then imparted that info to several of our friends that have RVs from Class Cs to air ride Class A DPs and every single one of them have been just as amazed at the difference in the ride as we were, so I hope this little tidbit of info helps some of you other white-knuckle drivers out there too.
Fixerswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
US1

Search 'CHF' on here. Its been covered many many times for the same conditions as you experienced. Look into installing a trac bar next.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #3

Please included the year, make and model of your equipment in your signature when you have a few moments - that way others will be able to give more accurate advice or draw similarities to their own rigs.

Glad you got away from white knuckle driving and thanks for sharing the experience.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Please included the year, make and model of your equipment in your signature when you have a few moments - that way others will be able to give more accurate advice or draw similarities.

That info is both in her post and in their profile
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
That info is both in her post and in their profile
IN the post.......but a Signature Line will show up with other posts

OP....WELCOME!
Glad you were able to find information that helped with your 'white knuckle' ride.

Now you/DH get to make HAPPY memories and look back at this with a chuckle

*Please make a signature with RV Info so you won't have to repost it each time
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
Rear trac bar

Fixerswife: your DH did the CHF. Look at the topic in Ford Chassis forum . You may want to add a rear TRAC bar to help the rear push generated by semis when being passed.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:14 PM   #7

Glad y’all figured it out, many don’t.

When we bought our 2002 Tradition 2 years ago, first trip was pretty much sawing at the wheel the whole way. Passing trucks was sketchy and it was porpoising so bad it occasionally hit the front suspension bump stops.

I looked in the huge service records folder provided by the previous owner when we got home and saw that he had it in the shop to try to make it drive better, even checking to see if safety steer made a kit for it, but apparently never cured the issues.

Luckily I knew how to adjust the slack out of the steering box (wasn’t much) and I found a broken sway bar bushing bracket. Those 2 things made a world of difference and raising the ride height back to specs helped the porpoising.

It drives like a dream now. Easy to hold the line when passing trucks.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IN the post.......

*Please make a signature with RV Info so you won't have to repost it each time

Do y’all not see this when you click on her user name? Just asking because app may work differently.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	353985
Old 01-16-2022, 10:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes Rob, we can see the info in the profile. It's just a lot easier to see it in the post itself without going to search the poster's profile. And some people may not know to search the profile for info.
It takes new users a while to figure out that it is useful to use a signature, and if you are a supporter I believe you can use a longer signature.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:24 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Welcome. I did the same thing. A simple thing like road dips made it feel like I was on a roller coaster. CHF, replacing the rear sway bar bushings with poly bushings, and most of all, a rear track bar. The thing drives like a truck now, instead of a loosey goosey RV
Old 01-16-2022, 10:31 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
One must assume this is a Ford F53 or Workhorse chassis. Not unusual to spend thousands to make them handle without those windy day white knuckle blues.
Sadly, been there, done that. Yes, it was ultimately a deal buster for us.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
Yes Rob, we can see the info in the profile. It's just a lot easier to see it in the post itself without going to search the poster's profile. And some people may not know to search the profile for info.
It takes new users a while to figure out that it is useful to use a signature, and if you are a supporter I believe you can use a longer signature.
Thanks,
Thanks for the tip. I updated the signature so hopefully it will show now. One of the reasons I posted is because many (including us) new RV owners don't even know what we are looking for, we only know there is a problem. I was shocked after we found the fix that even the person we took it to with over 20 years selling/repairing RVs didn't even mention it as a possibility. Sometimes it's easier to find the symptoms than the cure.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:46 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome! As you can see, occasionally we get off topic. Congratulations on your first upgrade! There will be many more. You'll want to check out the other suspension and safety parts on the rig to make sure everything is tight and not worn. A good once over by a truck or RV mechanic will help, but they won't catch everything. She's your ride, you'll want to make sure for your own peace of mind and comfort that it's running right and safe. A good RV driving course is another thing I would recommend sooner, rather than later. If you face a situation like that again, just pull off and wait it out. Getting there isn't worth anyone's life. We all do it when the conditions get sketchy. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow Fixerswife! Pretty "adventurous" (stated with the most positive intent) dipping your toes for the 1st time ever into the RV driving waters by taking your inaugural trip on a dark and rainy night. I don't like, as a rule, driving our MH at night at all, although I'll do it if circumstances warrant. The entire dynamic of driving a RV, especially the Ford gas Class A, is so different than almost anything else you'd have experience on. Talk about trial by fire! Glad you toughed your way through it, and more impressively, used the experience to learn about your rig and find the fix to correct its shortcomings. Bravo!

Sent from my moto z3 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote