Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
White streaks from roof on front sides and windows.

My 35K Bounder sat for 4 or 5 months this summer and early winter w/o use. The AC was left on and we got white streaks on both front sides and side windows. I have tried several cleaners and cleaner waxes w/o and luck. Has anyone been successful in removing these streaks and how.
I am thinking about trying rubbing compound or 0000 steel wool. Has anyone used either of these or if other things worked what?
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Get some RV black streak remover. Any RV dealer will have it, and of course, Amazon!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The super fine steel wool will get it off your glass.

Like Joe mentioned, black streak remover should clean it off the clearcoat. It will also remove any wax you have on there.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

I would not recommend steel wool for the clear coat. I light rubbing compound will remove them. Use with foam pad, you do not need to use a wool cutting pad, that is very aggressive and should not be needed. I would try the streak remover first as advised above.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Get some RV black streak remover. Any RV dealer will have it, and of course, Amazon!
You will like the results after using Crown RV and boat hull cleaner.
Most any store like Home Depot, lowes, Menards, etc. sells it.
A little spray will do the job when used as directed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

I’ve had good luck with Acetone. It sounds like the roof needs a conditioner.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
white streaks

Thanks for the suggestions anyone done this?

Any more suggestions will be appreciated especially any that have worked
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The super fine steel wool will get it off your glass..
Yes 0000 steel wool with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water will get the stains and streaking off the GLASS.

When this streaking takes place in other areas of the MH like on the sides of the coach, you can get most of it off with some the cleaners mentioned or a rag with the 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. BUT...if that stuff has been baking in the sun for several months cleaners won't get it all off. It usually will still leave some streaking. There's only one way to totally remove it. You have to polish it out with a buffer then wax it again. I've done this several times over the years, especially up front where the gutters up top drip down the sides of the coach.

This is the polisher I carry on board.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-MT30...9&sr=8-1-spell

I have this problem from time to time with black streaking coming down from the roof. You can't keep the roof clean all the time. But I have switched to using RejeX instead of wax for the entire coach. This stuff is amazing and was developed for aircraft. It puts a beautiful, shiney, thin film on the coach and when streaking happens, you just wipe if off with a damp rag. RejeX is also a great UV blocker and you can put it on the windshield too which makes removing bugs a snap.

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrewstx View Post

Dicor products are available easily on Amazon or at virtually every RV and camper store.
I did a clear version of this on a travel trailer I had several years ago. The cleaner and conditioner stopped the streaking every time it rained and made it go much longer between needing to be cleaned.

https://youtu.be/1OQBKL7Z_dQ
Old 01-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:

I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't done it.

0000 Steel Wool on the glass, dry!
Old 01-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc70 View Post
I would not recommend steel wool for the clear coat. I light rubbing compound will remove them. Use with foam pad, you do not need to use a wool cutting pad, that is very aggressive and should not be needed. I would try the streak remover first as advised above.
Steel wool for window glass only, never on the gelcoat or clearcoated paint. For gelcoat, a cleaner or if bad use polishing compound followed by a good wax. Do not use polishing compound without waxing after as the gelcoat will fail if not protected with wax.

When done either use a conditioner on the roof, or if it is fiberglass/metal use something like Rustolium TopSide paint. Easy to apply TopSide and it is very effective.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My 35K Bounder sat for 4 or 5 months this summer and early winter w/o use. The AC was left on and we got white streaks on both front sides and side windows. I have tried several cleaners and cleaner waxes w/o and luck. Has anyone been successful in removing these streaks and how.
I am thinking about trying rubbing compound or 0000 steel wool. Has anyone used either of these or if other things worked what?
First step
Sounds like your roof has oxidation of the gel coat. The oxidation needs to be removed and the roof needs to be waxed. Otherwise, the streaking will continue when ac is running, dew is forming, and in rain shower conditions. After this issue has been resolved...….
Next step
The streaking on the sides of your motor home can be removed with a cleaner wax but both roof and sides will most likely need a fiberglass Heavy Oxidation Remover applied by a buffing machine and followed up with a high quality wax. Do not use rubbing compound on your gel coat! And do not paint your roof! Very bad advise. Removal of oxidation and waxing by machine is the only proper fix. Then wax the roof and sides at least once a year, more if you live in hot summer latitudes.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, you have a TPO roof. You don't wax that, but you should clean it regularly with rubber roof cleaner. If the black streak cleaner won't remove the streaks from the painted part, I'd try Meguire's polishing products starting with the least aggressive. Try https://www.meguiarsdirect.com/megui...ound-16oz.html
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:39 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
First step
Sounds like your roof has oxidation of the gel coat. The oxidation needs to be removed and the roof needs to be waxed. Otherwise, the streaking will continue when ac is running, dew is forming, and in rain shower conditions. After this issue has been resolved...….
Next step
The streaking on the sides of your motor home can be removed with a cleaner wax but both roof and sides will most likely need a fiberglass Heavy Oxidation Remover applied by a buffing machine and followed up with a high quality wax. Do not use rubbing compound on your gel coat! And do not paint your roof! Very bad advise. Removal of oxidation and waxing by machine is the only proper fix. Then wax the roof and sides at least once a year, more if you live in hot summer latitudes.
Yes TPO roof. My mistake. No waxing the roof....sorry for the confusion.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, wind, window