Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khi1500 View Post
Alternator out or belt missing
Others have said that the alternator's juice can't charge batteries if one of them has a dead cell. My ScanGage showed mid 14V charging during the drive, and that's actually higher than normal (13.8-13.9).

Also, the aux genset was running all the time, so it would be supplying volts if the alternator had gone out.

As it happened, the coach started and we got home, but ScanGage was still reading high output. Once the second starting battery was replaced, all went back to normal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:56 AM   #44

Hi Rick-

So it's sorted out then? I've followed the thread to date and while it looks like you're on the right track, post back in a month and update us. I'm with the folks who think there's still something else that prevents your batteries from getting a full charge but I can't say for sure what it might be.

To solve a mystery? Scooby Doo, and the Mystery Machine, of course!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #45

Alas, the coach will be sitting next to the house for several months until we leave again, but it's connected to SP and the house charging gauge is reading normal. Float charge around 13.3V

I think that Twinboat and others sorted this out by confirming that 8.5 years is end of life for most batteries, and the dead cell could have caused all of the other problems (transmission, no aux start, dead camera).

I now have 2 new starting batteries and all gauges appear normal, so let's hope that all's well. I'll start the coach each month and run it for 15 minutes, and will be sure to pay special attention to the charging circuits.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That could be a high idle issue.
This ole buggy doesn't have high idle ;-)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Alas, the coach will be sitting next to the house for several months until we leave again, but it's connected to SP and the house charging gauge is reading normal. Float charge around 13.3V

I think that Twinboat and others sorted this out by confirming that 8.5 years is end of life for most batteries, and the dead cell could have caused all of the other problems (transmission, no aux start, dead camera).

I now have 2 new starting batteries and all gauges appear normal, so let's hope that all's well. I'll start the coach each month and run it for 15 minutes, and will be sure to pay special attention to the charging circuits.

Yeah, 8 years is a long time. Good luck when you're traveling again, and let us know that the fix is still fixed!
Old 06-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

So you don't have it plugged in next to the house? It only takes a 120V connection We haven't talked about if you have a BIRD system or not - this system manages the charging of both banks once the house bank is charged.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:05 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
So you don't have it plugged in next to the house? It only takes a 120V connection We haven't talked about if you have a BIRD system or not - this system manages the charging of both banks once the house bank is charged.
...connected to SP and the house charging gauge is reading normal.

Sounds like it’s plugged in.

What’s your interpretation of those words?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

You're correct, of course. The gauge is the one in the coach that monitors inverter, charger functions.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #51

Quote:

What’s your interpretation of those words?
Thanks for that arrogant response! Too many abbreviations/acronyms used here.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #52

Quote:
It seemed appropriate given the statement/assumption in the form of a question, the Captain Obvious 120V remark, the BIRD acronym and the further assumption that the OP knows nothing about the charging system on the coach.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Thanks for that arrogant response! Too many abbreviations/acronyms used here.
Don't be a jerk, we're here to learn and share information. If you don't know that SP means Shore Power, then ask. It's a pretty common term, especially when used in context.

Likewise, I have no idea what BIRD means, and it doesn't seems to relate to my coach since the Magnum handles SP, genset and inverter power on it's own, without my help.

Why don't you explain what BIRD means in relation to the OP, so we can get one more acronym into our books?
Old 06-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #54

It’s a Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay. A device that allows both house and chassis batteries to be charged when either bank is being charged.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #55

Quote:
It’s a Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay. A device that allows both house and chassis batteries to be charged when either bank is being charged.
I thought BIRD was a Sesame Street character!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Are these things add-ons, or are they part of a modern system? Seems that it would be internal to the inverter/chargers we have installed.

While it doesn't apply to the OP, a little knowledge is always nice to get.