Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #57

I always carry a spare have needed it twice in the past four years. We have 19.5s but I can no longer lift them. Have actually considered two spares. Two years ago we were coming out of Denver onto I-76 we blew both passenger side rear tires. Fortunately my roadside service was able to find a place who brought me two new tires and mounted them there. I could have limped some place with my spare if I had to. I felt the price was reasonable. When we returned from the trip went to my regular tire dealer and he moved them to the front so all the rear are matching. Prior to our next trip I plan on replacing the four that are left.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #58

Our Lazy Daze 31 ft. stores the spare (which we have dad to use) under rhe queen

bed, easy to pull out or place flat in its place

Bob W
AddieLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
I had a blow out 3 weeks ago i carry a fully mounter spare fits nicely behind 2005 meridian fuel tank under neath,called aaa road service gave them all the info yes tire 22.5 in 45 minutes later aaa arrives when you saw his face you knew that he could not fix he was unprepared so 1.5 hrs later i was on the road changed my self took a while but i was prepared,any yes you can get the lug nuts off with a 3' extension on a breaker bar won't leave home with out it.
AAA isn’t necessarily set up for larger class A rigs. That’s why good Sam and FMCA repairs services are better. You should always make it clear that you have a 22,5” tire that needs to be mounted. I carry a mounted spare in my 2011 Southwind 32VS. The right rear bay has a slot for the spare. For those who choose not to carry either, a tire service will charge you around $750 for a tire, mounting and labor. Also I have a generic polished aluminum wheel that’s fits the front and will fit on the duelly inside or out. I had a flat and the tire service mounted the replacement tire and with the heavy duty pneumatic wrench he torqued them to spec.
and I was on my way.

Btw a winch between the frame is a good idea, I’d like to see photos of the set up.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
We carry a mounted spare. When we get new tires, the best one becomes the spare, but we only use it until we can get a new tire. We have had one valve stem fail and one flat. Because we had the mounted spare, we were not charged anything additional. Roadside service paid all the charge.
Same here. Has saved our bacon 2x in 16 years.

Also have 2 on the trailer. All have been used and made a major problem into a minor inconvenience. Plus the peace of mind they add.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #61

Spare

I made a tire carrier for the back of my 2018 HR Vacationer XE, tucks up between the frame.
daad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
So if I get a flat in from this won't work? Click image for larger version

Name:	104.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	299202
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykris View Post
OK, I have seen people do this, but should we carry a spare for our Class A, or do the shops have our sizes readily available??
we occasionally go into Mexico, and carry a spare just in case. Have had road side service in remote parts of the US unable to do much more than change a tire, hence carry a spare. My son in law made a really cool tip out tire rack in my basement to carry that big beast of a tire and wheel.
azlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #64

I just now finished fabricating and installing rear carrier and mounted an aluminum box on my TT.

I removed the spare tire carrier and placed the tire between the aluminum box and trailer. I ran a 1/2" running stud thru the rim's bolt hole and attached it to the box.

Then I ratcheted the tire down. Strap will be replaced with a wheel strap similar to a tow dolly strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3644.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	299208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3646.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	299209  

Name:	IMG_3645.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	299210  
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #65

22.5 Spare

I carry a 22.5 Toyo that matches my new Toyos that is mounted on a factory aluminum rim which I bought online used. I have the tools necessary to change it out , but I’d probably call roadside service if available to change it out...
User2532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #66

Toyo Spare

Mounted on a roadmaster tire carrier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5643E5B0-4613-4C13-9DF1-25F5345A6C5B.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	299212  
User2532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #67

Yes we learned the hard way. Blowout with bent rim and no spare. Stuck on I75 in Atlanta for 5 hrs. Goodyear truck service brought the wrong wheel even though I gave them the MFR + PN stamped on the wheel. So still stuck trying to find a tow. Our RV insurance company had a concierge service but they could not find anyone to tow a motorhome. We probably made a dozen calls and finally got hold of a nearby service that had one guy willing to tow a Class A. He rescued us, sold us a used wheel and 2 tires and mounted them, let us go eat while they were doing it (we were towing my pickup), and even straightened the bent wheel with a sledgehammer and made us a spare. Left Atlanta about 10PM finally.

Kudos to Tara Wrecker, Jonesboro GA!

So now I carry the spare in the rear hatch (that's what its for on my 2006 Mirada I guess), along with a long breaker bar, long pry bar, impact socket set, and Milwaukee electric impact driver with a charged battery. I will use the hydraulic lift system to get the tire off the ground. (I dont care what the lawyers say - its had both front and rear off the ground before and I dont plan to get under it of course)
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #68

I also carry a spare tire on a wheel that is ready for mounting on the coach if it is needed. I did this after wasting the better part of a weekend in NC waiting for a new tire and wheel. I was forced off the road by oncoming traffic and blew the curbside outer rear tire and damaged the wheel. Now any roadside service with a jack and sufficient tools can change the tire for me.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #69
DHM

275/70r22.5

I have a spare tire on a rim, 275/70R22.5. It weighs about 170 lbs. I carry it in the basement of our diesel pusher. 2003 National RV Tradewinds 39’.

I am fairly self sufficient. I have all the tools to dismount and remount a tire from its rim, and can remove and replace a tire installed on the RV. I’m 63 and if I can do it, so can most RVers.

Torque reducer for 450 ft lbs lug nuts
Tire irons
Tire soap
700 ft lb torque wrench
Portable tire cages are fairly inexpensive, $220.

I have carried just a space tire off the rim in the past.

I purchased 7 new tires on Amazon and installed them myself. I use centramatic wheel balancers on all four positions, wheels always stay in balance, $500.

I know this is not for everyone, YMMV.
DHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #70
DHM

Lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
Yes we learned the hard way. Blowout with bent rim and no spare. Stuck on I75 in Atlanta for 5 hrs. Goodyear truck service brought the wrong wheel even though I gave them the MFR + PN stamped on the wheel. So still stuck trying to find a tow. Our RV insurance company had a concierge service but they could not find anyone to tow a motorhome. We probably made a dozen calls and finally got hold of a nearby service that had one guy willing to tow a Class A. He rescued us, sold us a used wheel and 2 tires and mounted them, let us go eat while they were doing it (we were towing my pickup), and even straightened the bent wheel with a sledgehammer and made us a spare. Left Atlanta about 10PM finally.

Kudos to Tara Wrecker, Jonesboro GA!

So now I carry the spare in the rear hatch (that's what its for on my 2006 Mirada I guess), along with a long breaker bar, long pry bar, impact socket set, and Milwaukee electric impact driver with a charged battery. I will use the hydraulic lift system to get the tire off the ground. (I dont care what the lawyers say - its had both front and rear off the ground before and I dont plan to get under it of course)
I agree. I’ve had my 27,000 lb RV in the air on its levelers. Works great. I also will lift it slightly with the levelers, then finish lifting just the tire with a bottle jack. I have 12,000 lb jack stands for when I go under the motor coach.

My 2 jack stands weigh 70 lbs total. It all adds up. I must carry 200 - 300 lb of tools, but it is worth it to be self sufficient.
DHM is offline   Reply With Quote