Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It just fits!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #16

Credit card.
Done.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:37 PM   #17

To each his own. Re credit cards, that may not mean very much if one is in South Sunflower, Nowhere, on a Saturday night trying to find a replacement tire. The risk one takes without a spare is being miles and/or days from a replacement tire, too often during one's long-awaited and anticipated adventure. In most situations, it's not the wheel we need in order to get back on the road....it's the tire. We already have the wheel on the coach, unless, of course, it is damaged in some way. Many HD emergency road service folks have the equipment on-board to dismount and mount a tire on a wheel as we wait patiently alongside I-Anywhere....but they need a tire to do that.

I carry an unmounted spare tire in very good condition in our coach basement for that reason, and storage has not been an issue for us. I'd rather have it and never need it than to need it and not have it. Especially in South Sunflower, Nowhere. Again, to each his own.....and just MO.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #18

I guess I'm just lucky, my motor home has a spare tire carrier located behind the rear bumper. Just pull a handle and the bumper slides out. So yes, I carry a spare and would call Coach Net to change.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #19

My Dutch Star has a bay made for a spare tire. Last year had a blow out on inside rear. Coach-Net had someone there in 45 min. Had me back on road a little over 1 hour. Told me if I didn't have a spare it would have been 6-8 hours.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettyjock View Post
My Dutch Star has a bay made for a spare tire. Last year had a blow out on inside rear. Coach-Net had someone there in 45 min. Had me back on road a little over 1 hour. Told me if I didn't have a spare it would have been 6-8 hours.

Only time against what you already paid for your spare. Not much unless you have a lot of flats, eh?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:40 AM   #21

I have a mounted spare in my back basement storage area. I sure was glad to have it when I had a blow out. I was back on the road and on my way in no time!
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 19.5 tire fits between my frame rail under my MH from. It is unmounted piece of mind. I also have a "Toque Multiplier" tool to remove my lug nuts and one jack stand. My leveling jacks can lift any corner off the ground if needed. I also have a full set of tools and can do brake or wheel bearing work if needed. But I too have all of my bases covered, I have a credit card and Coach-net. Fortunately, I have only needed one spare tire in over a 117k miles and Coach-net had a tire truck there in 30 minutes and was able to mount my spare on the side of the road and install it in about 45 minutes. Saved me a lot of time and I am sure a few dollars because I was able to purchase 4 new rear tires through Costco for $400 a piece the following week at my convenience.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Five blowouts? Wow,
Blowouts were not that uncommon in the early days. To be honest, I have not had a blowout in this century. All the blowouts were when Michelin was having blowouts in the sidewall. They blamed it on the motorhome manufacturer not putting but 60 psi in the tire and the tire being delivered to the dealer with only 60 psi damaged the sidewall. (According to Michelin to tire mounting machines are set at 60 psi and that is the the pressure that the manufacturer used to air the tire.) It kept happening and Michelin came up with a new story. This time they claimed that some company had bought thousands of tires and stored them in a warehouse for twelve years and were selling old tires that had been damaged by ozone. Funny thing, they redesigned the sidewall and the blowout problem got much better.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 AM   #24

With all the spare parts and tools that some people seem to carry, at some point I won't be surprised if I see a MH going down the road, pulling the same MH for spares, pulling a Snap On Tools truck .

Yes, I get it if you are going to Alaska...........
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Our first motorhome, an early 90s Southwind, had a compartment made especially for a spare and it came with a mounted tire. Our second, a 2007 Tiffin Open Road came with no spare and no place to put one. I found a commercially made tire carrier that used the receiver hitch (and still allowed me to use the hitch for the toad). I did see someone showing something along that same idea at the Tampa show but I didn't pay enough attention to tell you the name. I suspect an internet search could locate it for you.

Our current coach has no place to put a spare, unmounted or otherwise, and if I were to use another of the hitch mounted carriers it would block access to the engine, a mounted 22.5 is much too heavy to be simply lifted out of the way.

If I were making a trip to Alaska I might work harder to find a way, but for now I choose to count on Coach Net and my credit card to get me out of trouble, should it come my way. Would I be miffed at a multi day delay, probably, but I'm retired and rarely are any of our adventures time critical anymore.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We never had a spare until we had a blowout and the only decent tire we could get on a Saturday was a recap Michelin. Good enough to get us home where we replaced all six. So now the recap is in the basement storage filled with stuff you don't need often. We put it on a tarp with strings attached so it can easily be pulled out and won't leave black marks on the carpet.

With any luck we will never need it but it is there if we do.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Who carries a spare tire in a class A?

My tire size, 22.5, can be very hard to find. When I had all 6 tires replaced with new last month I noticed both interior rears looked like brand new, so I kept one and store it (unmounted) in a forward storage bay. I had plenty of room there in the Freightliner raised rail storage bay. I can't fill up all the storage bays anyway!

Now if I get stuck somewhere I won't have to wait for days for a replacement tire.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #28

My storage bays are to small for the 22.5 inch tire so I carry mine in the toad a Dodge Dakota pick up won't leave home without it.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a