Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Who has an Oven? Do you use it?

We are searching for our first Class A and my DW wants an oven.

She thinks it would be useful and a necessary appliance in any kitchen. We use the oven at home at lot (probably more than our cooktop when preparing dinners.

We are looking at pre-owned MHs, and most of the used MHs I have seen and like don't have an oven.

Some posters have said that a MH oven is "not like a home oven" - in that they are too small. They suggest using an "outside grill" as an oven when needed.

Does anyone here have an Oven?
And if so, do you use it, and is it as useful as your home oven?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife likes to bake and was given a hand mixer, in hopes of using the oven frequently. It was a feature we wanted when looking for a motorhome.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

Don't have a MH.have a 34' 5th wheel
We FTd in it for 7 years and used the propane OVEN almost daily.

Have pre-heat it and then check temp with oven thermometer so you have correct temp. Then rotate items about half way thru cooking time
And use a 'pizza stone' or 'unglazed terra cotta tile' placed on bottom shelf that covers burner. Helps even out the hot/less hot zones.

Does it work YES..just have to experiment with temp/cooking times
As good as oven in S&B -----NO but usable with good results

AH.....need new/different cooking pans/cookie sheets etc due to smaller size
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

We have an oven. We use it mostly to store the coffee pot and coffee. My wife uses it as an oven very rarely. We have a toaster oven that covers 99 percent of our oven needs and can be used on the picnic table leaving the heat and odors outside.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
We have had ovens in our 5th wheel and truck camper, and have used them a lot. We have an electric convection oven in our Class A and hate it. I bought one of these: https://www.campchef.com/deluxe-outd...ping-oven.html

The two top burners give the added advantage of being able to cook bacon or other "spattery" foods outside, thus saving a lot of wall-cleaning inside.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:11 PM   #6

Had an oven, recently removed it, mostly used for storage space...convection microwave oven is the cat's meow...Only reason would be if you are a big time dry camper.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So it looks like the recommendations are pretty evenly divided - For and Against.

The toaster oven is a good idea for those fries and late night snacks.

I know most of the MHs have a Convection-Microwave. We have one at home too, but we never use the convection mode. She says its not as good as a real oven, and since we have the oven at home too ...

I suppose, if I don't get her an Oven, I better plan on doing all the cooking.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #8

I've very rarely used the oven on any of my RVs. They don't work nearly as well as home ovens. Cooking a frozen pizza usually results in burned crust and frozen toppings. Also, be ready for your coach to smell like anything you cook. I'd much rather have an extra drawer and skip the oven.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The wife isn't too sure on how to use the convection feature in the microwave. I have a toaster oven, but can only use it with external power.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Mine came with a Sharp Carousel convection microwave. I do use the convection side of it often for pizza or cookies. You are correct it's smaller than a normal oven, 12 inch round pan is all the bigger I can go for pizza (which accommodates most frozen pizzas). However it does cook well as an oven, I don't really notice the smaller size as I only ever cook for myself or two on occasion.

I have not tried baking a double layer cake in it, but if I did, I imagine I'd have to do one layer at a time and that might be annoying.

As an aside, I did manage to fit a full size roasting pan in it last year, of course I removed the turntable to accomplish it. It just barely fit, so no baking rolls while the turkey was in the oven.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #11

I would say a lot of it depends on where you use your motorhome. If you stay mostly at places with hookups then a propane oven would seem unneeded. But if you are like me and never go to a place with hookups not having one makes as much sense as having a residential fridge. My current coach only has a convection microwave and having to run the generator to bake something is very annoying.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We do have an oven, but only because it was in the MH. My wife has used it very occasionally and after getting her to read about convection/ microwaves we are likely going to change out the existing Microwave. We do use the cooktop burners, a lot, so may do something in the future to change out oven for more storage.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

We have had both a propane oven and a convection-microwave oven. We thought we wanted a propane oven, but found a motor home that we liked that had only a convection-microwave oven. My wife didn't think she would like the convection oven, but after using it a few times, she really likes it. It does take some learning to use. You have to adjust the time and temperature. It does better than a propane oven.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM   #14

We use it at least once every trip, we would not be without it.