Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Who has CB's and How Relevant are they anymore?

Back in the early 2000's I had a CB in my first Class A. Even then, I cannot recall that I ever used it for anything. So on my subsequent RV's, I never reinstalled it. Looking at used units online, I still see a lot of them with CB's installed.

Who still has CB's and do you use it? Are they even relevant anymore? Curious if you have one and use it, for what use does it come in handy?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
They are pretty much useless. I installed one in my coach 5 years ago and have used it only twice, to listen to truckers when stopped in a long line of traffic. Today you can get better information using Google Maps or Waze. I would not install one again.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ummm.... are subspace communications down?

Personally I barely had use for one back in the 70s when they were all the rage. I HAD one, but it wasn't much in the way of useful. Naturally that's just my opinion, and worth just exactly what you paid for it.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:22 PM   #4

We have one in our class A. We do not use it very much... but it comes in handy sometimes for traffic backups. I don’t need it for “Smokey” alerts in the motorhome as speeding isn’t an issue.
Pacman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #5

I like to listen to traffic problems and as yet another back up for weather with alert warnings. I’ve never joined in a conversation but I am not opposed should something interesting come up.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

Mine is in the cabinet over the bed collecting dust.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My rig has one but rarely use it. Like others it's fun to listen in during traffic issues.

I do use the WX function to listen to local weather info from time to time.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you travel in a caravan or with another RVer, then it is essential. I use mine all the time when traveling with our buddies.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

Have had one in this coach for five years since new. However, haven't turned it on in a couple years. Will be taking it out soon. Make you a great deal.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you travel in a caravan or with another RVer, then it is essential. I use mine all the time when traveling with our buddies.

We use the FRS "walkie talkie's" when in multiple vehicles.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We've had one in our coach since new & I could count on 1 hand how many times we've used it. Like others, we used to use if stuck in traffic (came in handy the 1 time there was an overturned semi on the PA Turnpike so we'd know how long we were gonna be stuck). Unfortunately, relatively short range, even with a better antenna. I don't think it's even been turned on in 3-4 years at this point.

We have live traffic on our GPS as well as phones so the CB is pretty much a dinosaur.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-1701A View Post
Back in the early 2000's I had a CB in my first Class A. Even then, I cannot recall that I ever used it for anything. So on my subsequent RV's, I never reinstalled it. Looking at used units online, I still see a lot of them with CB's installed.

Who still has CB's and do you use it? Are they even relevant anymore? Curious if you have one and use it, for what use does it come in handy?
Well Star Trek,
To me, they are about as relevant as one wants them to be, for any given situation. Just because you have a few folks on here that say, "naw, we never use it so it's worthless", doesn't mean IT IS worthless. It's simply another form of communication that may or may not be used ALL the time or even slightly. We've had one in all four of our coaches and, if we get another coach, we'll have one in it too. We quite often travel in groups or, even just two coaches in tandem.

And, in many situations, when the wife is cruising in the toad scouting for a camp spot or, for any other reason, we communicate back and forth for various instructions or ideas. They (the radios) don't take up very much room and, for the most part, are pretty simple to install and setup so, even if it's used moderately, it's not like it was a major investment that is in the way causing problems. It's another choice in the RV kingdom that works for some but, not for all.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
We use the FRS "walkie talkie's" when in multiple vehicles.
We use FRS but found that even with a Motorola Talkabout long range set if someone is out of sight you cant get them on the FRS radio. This was recently an issue when we were traveling in an area with poor cell service.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:50 PM   #14

I don't even know which channels to monitor.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote