Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Nice install Rick! I'm impressed with your mod. I was very fortunate and did enough homework on the original footprint to know that mine would bolt right in. I'm also glad to know that if i ever do want to upgrade gauge of wire... I can just piggy back an additional wire to the batts. Thank you!
The small case (cs130) alternator I replaced can be found in higher amperage,thus avoiding the cutting and welding. But there are reported cooling /reliability issues with the higher amperage small case versions. That is why I went to the larger case Delco. I also wanted to be sure if I have a failure on the road I can get a alternator that fits from any auto parts store.

The piggy backed wiring to the battery was recommended by the manufacturer who said the two together would approximate the capacity of a #2 wire.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
The small case (cs130) alternator I replaced can be found in higher amperage,thus avoiding the cutting and welding. But there are reported cooling /reliability issues with the higher amperage small case versions. That is why I went to the larger case Delco. I also wanted to be sure if I have a failure on the road I can get a alternator that fits from any auto parts store.

The piggy backed wiring to the battery was recommended by the manufacturer who said the two together would approximate the capacity of a #2 wire.
I am not sure of gauge wire Beaver mated with my 1991 factory 160 amp alternator & giant battery bay. Did not check so i am kind of a science experiment. Current 270 amp QP alternator will put out some serious juice so if i burn up this thread will be revisited!!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:34 AM   #17

Our Leece Neville 160 Amp unit went out while on a trip. Did not have time to send it out to be rebuilt, so put on a new unit. Several members of the CC Owner's group had changed over to the Delco Remy 200 Amp unit. I went with the Delco 200 A because it was available 30 minutes away from where we were camping, and the price was not bad either (I believe around $265, but would have to dig in receipts to see if my memory is correct.). I took my Leece Neville with me, and we compared the two on the bench before I purchased. They even swapped the pully over for me.

Had the Leece Neville rebuilt when were done traveling, and sent it to a friend for his coach when his went South... He had his rebuilt also, and has it available if I ever need it!

I think that was a great tip from Twinboat to check your wire size, to be sure it is adequate for the higher loads...

By the way, I feel 160A was more then sufficient for what my unit was asked to do... But OK with the 200A too!

If I change to lithium battery bank in the future, may look into changing the Alternator again too... We'll see!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Our Leece Neville 160 Amp unit went out while on a trip. Did not have time to send it out to be rebuilt, so put on a new unit. Several members of the CC Owner's group had changed over to the Delco Remy 200 Amp unit. I went with the Delco 200 A because it was available 30 minutes away from where we were camping, and the price was not bad either (I believe around $265, but would have to dig in receipts to see if my memory is correct.). I took my Leece Neville with me, and we compared the two on the bench before I purchased. They even swapped the pully over for me.

Had the Leece Neville rebuilt when were done traveling, and sent it to a friend for his coach when his went South... He had his rebuilt also, and has it available if I ever need it!

I think that was a great tip from Twinboat to check your wire size, to be sure it is adequate for the higher loads...

By the way, I feel 160A was more then sufficient for what my unit was asked to do... But OK with the 200A too!

If I change to lithium battery bank in the future, may look into changing the Alternator again too... We'll see!

Best to all,
Smitty
I'm gonna have my guy come out and run an addtional piggy back wire to be safe.

thanks guys for the help!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
My Mechanic says my cable is 2 gauge (standard on big rigs he says) and told me it should be penty to handle the new alternator

More facts. My Batteries in the front of the 40' coach are connected by massive cable to starter... in back of coach. Alternator has 2 gauge cable running short distance to starter. I think i am ok

Tags
alternator, upgrade