Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Whole Coach Water Filter Question

Good Day; In one of these threads I read that my new coach ( Entegra Vision ) which has a whole coach water filter in the water bay and even though it is filled with water probably doesn't have the water filter in the canister - well sure enough it does not, it's just water, no filter.
So the question is I've put a water filter in the canister now do I treat it like my house fridge water filter and drain 4 gallons of water through it before being able to drink any water from the tap?? Makes sense that I flush a new filter - right?
Thanks .. Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
WDW

I flush and sanitize my system before installing the filter. Then drain off the pressure, install the filter and run enough water to get rid of the air bubbles.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:10 AM   #3

You would think there would be a factory tag attached to cannister or new filter strapped to it with note to install upon delivery.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Community Moderator

It won't hurt doing it, but I'd do more like 6 gallons because unfiltered water is in the hoses between the filter and the tap you are draining it at.

Although the filtered water is safe to drink admittedly we have never drunk it - we carry two 5 gallon water containers and get them filled in grocery stores or walmart for about $.35/gal, for drinking and cooking. We also add a portable water filter at the RV site faucet in addition to the built-in filter in the bay. There is no right or wrong, just DW insists doing so.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The instructions on my filter is to run water through it for a minute before using. I do this once before we start using water on a trip.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also use a Clear Source two canister system outside my RV. The first filter is .5 microns and the second is .2 microns. .2 microns is the same as that used by the Life Straw filters that allow you to drink stream water safely. Im sure this is way overboard since the RV parks we visit generally have good water quality, but I like knowing the water in our tank is pristine since we drink and cook with it.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Great Thanks everyone - I'll drain for a minute, sounds reasonable, and I'll add some RO water jugs to my stuff and use those for tea and coffee etc.
Thanks again - always find help here appreciate it .. Paul
Old 03-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
And I'll add an outside filter as well to the water line - protected now!!
Old 03-12-2021, 08:02 AM   #9

I would personally tend to worry more about the quality of the water in the rigs tank and hoses than the quality of water at parks. The water in the tank and the hoses grows stuff. Especially if the filter filters out chlorine, then the hoses contain often stagnant untreated water.

Treating the system periodically (several times a summer?) with bleach helps, but does not eliminate the growth. That is my best reason for carrying jugs of water for drinking

Tags
water