Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post

FYI ... this is my post on our CSI Policy.

We have not used the policy yet, but we do have a few things on the motorhome that we will be pursuing against the policy. Once we get it into the shop, I'll update to inform how the process went.
That's the same policy we have. Bought it through WW a year ago. We've used it 3 times so far. Each usage required quite a few hoops to jump through incl. an on-site inspection and some back and forth with Allegiance/CSI on approved labor costs. It was not what I'd call painless, but we did (eventually) get the costs covered with the warranty. WW actually jumped in to help us too, so the broker was helpful during the process. I'd definitely be interested to hear how your experience goes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Medico, sounds like your rig is worth about 4x what mine is, so it's going to be hard to compare as apples to apples for policy costs. Unless I can get and exclusionary policy with consequential damage for my rig for $1200 a year or less, based on a poll from another thread, I am going to self insure. I think my money is better spent on a preseason inspection and maintenance visit.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #59

I was just given a quote by National Warranty for $1700 for 7 yrs., $100 deductible and exclusionary. However, it did not say anything about consequential. My unit only has 600 miles on it. Still probably going to self insure. Their # is 800-311-4790 x 801.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
I was just given a quote for around 2200 for this excusionary policy for 3 years and 55k miles. I was wondering if anyone else has used this company? Last thing I want is to argue with them over repairs. I can get a zero deduct for 2500 but trying to get them to throw in that for free and increase miles to 100k.
khamsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #60

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
StevieG, I most likely will self insure as well. At $4000 for 2 years (with only one incident) it just is not worth it to me. Every new incident will be another $500. I'll just bank the money. Good luck with yours as well.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Kamsher, I bought a used RV and the owner had a 5yr agreement from National Warranty of Florida. I took it over for $40 or $50. It had 3yrs left on it. I used it for one leveler replacement, electric step replacement and rear seal work. Work was done at a Chev. dealership that is also a Workhorse RV service center. No problem with work approval. On the negative side electric driverside electric window didn't work. Found loose ground wire. Dealer fixed it but Nat. said it wasn't covered. $200 for labor cost to take door panel off and fix ground wire.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #62

Popcorn Man, thank you for the info. You don't know how much it helps. With the low mileage I think I will self insure. Again, thanks so much.
khamsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #63

I made the decision today to go with Wholesale Warranties on my 6 month old coach today with their ProTrek coverage 5year/55,000 with 5 year tire and wheel and here's why:

1. I have owned my coach for 6 months and it has spent 60 of those day at the dealer for warranty issues. I'm not sure what will happen once my 12 month factory warranty expires.
2. I could afford to self insure, but who am I to say if something takes 1 hour or 20 to do a job. A warranty company will specify how many hours it takes to do a job, even if it's not covered they can provide me normal labor hours for the job.
3. Wholesale Warranties offered me great coverage at a reasonable price. They make their living off of boards like this one and there's little to no bad press out of the thousands of contracts they have sold (they stand behind what they sell).
4. Gives us piece of mind knowing we have something to cover us in the event something major happens down the road. 1 inverter, heat pump, or refrigerator and we're even.
5. They were honest about their competition and told me about other companies that offered good coverage even though they didn't offer it. There price point was a bit better in my view.

Bottom line, I really hope I never have to use it and it's money down the drain. I rather be using my coach with piece of mind, than worrying about every little glitch and wondering how much it's going to cost me. Plus they gave me an additional year of Coachnet that I wasn't expecting.
dondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:57 PM   #64

Send a message via AIM to andrewsilver Send a message via MSN to andrewsilver Send a message via Yahoo to andrewsilver Send a message via Skype™ to andrewsilver
ProTrek warranty

Hi dondar, could you (or anyone else) share if you have the "emerald" or the "diamond" plan, and what it cost? I'm considering the diamond plan 5yr/55k/$100 deductible. Thank you.
andrewsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:46 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plus vs Minus

I was considering a policy since we bought a Used MH with 78K miles and 10 years old. we are now 15 years old and at 125K miles. The quotes were around 1800-2400 annually with certain deductibles.
I felt we could self insure and make our own repairs.

within the first year we had the lift and injector pump replaced at a cost of $3800 at a FL dealer in Iowa. At that time I wish we had coverage but then not sure if it would have been covered at all.

Our next incident was 2 years later with the loss of the Alternator at a cost of replacement of $1100. so now I was $5000 out of pocket compared to the lesser cost coverage with deductibles of $500 about $4900.

So now into the after the third year we had no warrenty repair and have not paid the $1800 so we are ahead by $1900. If we succeed with no repairs this year we will be ahead by $$3700.

After the fourth year we had repairs but unwarrantable for brakes etc to amount of $1300. so we are still ahead of the game by another $1800.

When I bought the MH I got $5000 of the asking price which was already about $10000 below others on the market so overall I feel I am way ahead of any aftermarket warranty insurances.

this was a good lesson to us about after market warranty policies. We are taking a second look at our hurricane insurance for our Florida home. With a cost of $2500 annual and $4000 deductible it is easy to accumulate $15K in the bank for self insured roof or damage. 5 years = $16.5 and that is a lot of repair, enough to replace the entire roof system.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #66

We are taking a second look at our hurricane insurance for our Florida home. With a cost of $2500 annual and $4000 deductible it is easy to accumulate $15K in the bank for self insured roof or damage. 5 years = $16.5 and that is a lot of repair, enough to replace the entire roof system.[/QUOTE]

If your roof is gone 16.5 isnt squat! Water , wind damage to interior , electrical and plumbing,floor, furniture ,clothes ,electronics. Place to live besides the mh which is probably messed up if the house had roof loss.
If you have a home mortgage they will insist on coverage. Hurricane andrew survivor. State farm saved our bacon!!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsilver View Post
Hi dondar, could you (or anyone else) share if you have the "emerald" or the "diamond" plan, and what it cost? I'm considering the diamond plan 5yr/55k/$100 deductible. Thank you.
I have the 5/55/$100 deductible Diamond plan. The cost will be based on your rig, whether it's new like mine or already out of warranty. I found the price to be very reasonable for the piece of mind it gives me.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondar View Post
I have the 5/55/$100 deductible Diamond plan. The cost will be based on your rig, whether it's new like mine or already out of warranty. I found the price to be very reasonable for the piece of mind it gives me.
Why would anyone buy a warranty on a new motorhome? I would think the aftermarket insurer would defer any payments requests to the manufacturer before they would put out one penny. Seems like just another way for a dealer to sell you something that is a waste of your money..

I am the original poster on this thread and decided after a LOT of research not to go with an ESP. Over a period of 4 months, I read more contracts than I care to mention... and even though I am not an attorney found they all have several binding ways NOT to pay on claims. While most of the guys on here say the reason they got an ESP was "for peace of mind", that is IMO, a very false sense of security.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Why would anyone buy a warranty on a new motorhome? I would think the aftermarket insurer would defer any payments requests to the manufacturer before they would put out one penny. Seems like just another way for a dealer to sell you something that is a waste of your money..

I am the original poster on this thread and decided after a LOT of research not to go with an ESP. Over a period of 4 months, I read more contracts than I care to mention... and even though I am not an attorney found they all have several binding ways NOT to pay on claims. While most of the guys on here say the reason they got an ESP was "for peace of mind", that is IMO, a very false sense of security.
I have 5 months left on my factory warranty and my rig has already spent quite a bit of time being serviced for this and that. It's going back in for a slide issue next week. There are quite a few things besides the engine and transmission that could end up costing me quite a bit. Buying the warranty now is much cheaper than trying to purchase one once my factory warranty has expired.

I hope I never have to use it like I mentioned in my original post. If I do, I win. If I don't, I still win (perceived security). Heat pumps, household fridges, inverters, water heaters, and electrical issues are all very expensive to diagnose and fix. The fact is we all have issues with our motorhomes. I really don't want to be in the middle of a trip worrying about how much something is going to cost me this time.

Financially, on average these policies pay out less than their premiums. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business. There are also those that have avoided tens of thousands of repair costs because they were covered.

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer on whether to self insure, or buy an extended warranty. For me, it's about risk tolerance. I don't have a crystal ball to look into the future. I sure don't want to be the guy with a blown engine after 4 years, even though I had all of the required maintenance performed, and stuck footing the bill (this happens).

Anyway, those are my thoughts
Old 01-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dondar, I would probably feel the same way if my rig spent a fair amount of time in the repair shop. I've been very fortunate so far. I bought a 10 year old motorhome last December with 32k miles on it in Corbin Kentucky, about 10 hours from home. When I got home I brought it to the Cat / Freightliners guys about 10 miles down the road. I had them go through the chassis with a microscope. As for the plumbing, electric, etc., I am used to doing all that stuff on my boat. Anyway, when my mh left the shop, it had an oil change and some front end work done. Total cost was $800. I drove it about 5k miles last year and had no issues whatsoever. So I feel I am ahead right now by a lot. In March when I uncover it, I will bring my rig back in for a total going over and some maintenance work. After hearing how much some guys spend in the shop, I feel very lucky... So far!