Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
The flip side of your question is WHY do you need access to the roof?

Tim
"I like it on top"

PMs, wash/wax, replace vent cover. etc
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #16

Folks,

So are all half ladders the same? Amazon has them from 70-170$
Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look in the bin in front of the propane bin for the rest of the ladder. If not there you should see the clips on the bin roof that held it in place. The ladder slides into the pass thru and then snaps into the holding clips. My RV isn't here or I would take pics for you.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
The flip side of your question is WHY do you need access to the roof?

Tim
WOW... REALLY!?!?!? The roof should be inspected at the beginning of every camping season. Some of us who are able, able being important, take pride in our motorhomes and actually enjoy doing what is in our own ability.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My Diplomat came with a two piece rear ladder, where the bottom half had to be stored in a bay. I took the bottom half and stored it in my attic at home. If I needed to access the roof, I just pulled out my portable ladder.

My current coach has a two piece ladder where the lower section folds up when you want to open the rear engine bay. I'm thinking about removing the lower section and storing it at home. It's more work than needed.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Folks,

So are all half ladders the same? Amazon has them from 70-170$
As you can see by the responses so far, I think the majority of seasoned motorhome owners who do have the two piece OEM rear ladder, do not carry the bottom half with them. Since we all carry some type of collapsible, foldable, etc. ladder, why be redundant?

I'd suggest not purchasing the bottom half if you absolutely feel you do need it --and it sounds as if you're convinced you do not-- as you'll eventually find one somewhere that somebody does not want. Through the years, I've found them lying abandoned at campsites and RV parks, along the side of the road, at garage sales, and just those that people will gladly give you if they know you want one. I think we've got at least four in a storage unit that we'll eventually throw out somehow.

To answer your question, most of those bottom extensions you see are probably universal fit.

If you do decide that you want the EXACT part that came with your coach, I believe it will look like the image below ...it's what our 2007 Meridian had and I am fairly certain that Winnebago kept using that ladder into the next few model years on most of their models.

The bottom portion will have round hooks covered in vinyl at the top that will have a slit at the top where you maneuver around the last rung of the stationary ladder. It has a swiveling full-length panel that has a rubber strip that is meant to rest against the panel of the motorhome. It does not touch the ground.

The part number appears to be: 161990-01-01A EA LADDER - LOWER - BRUSHED ALUMINUM

You can order the bottom half from a Winnebago dealership like Lichtsinn (HERE)

Here is the complete parts catalog for your coach:

Go HERE ...it's a large PDF

The ladder part number is on page 103
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnebago rear ladder.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	201171  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:13 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I carry a 7' GP Logistics folding ladder.... It folds into a 7' X 4" unit so storing it is easy. I have a full rear ladder, but carry this for easy access other areas.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
As you can see by the responses so far, I think the majority of seasoned motorhome owners who do have the two piece OEM rear ladder, do not carry the bottom half with them. Since we all carry some type of collapsible, foldable, etc. ladder, why be redundant?

I'd suggest not purchasing the bottom half if you absolutely feel you do need it --and it sounds as if you're convinced you do not-- as you'll eventually find one somewhere that somebody does not want. Through the years, I've found them lying abandoned at campsites and RV parks, along the side of the road, at garage sales, and just those that people will gladly give you if they know you want one. I think we've got at least four in a storage unit that we'll eventually throw out somehow.

To answer your question, most of those bottom extensions you see are probably universal fit.

If you do decide that you want the EXACT part that came with your coach, I believe it will look like the image below ...it's what our 2007 Meridian had and I am fairly certain that Winnebago kept using that ladder into the next few model years on most of their models.

The bottom portion will have round hooks covered in vinyl at the top that will have a slit at the top where you maneuver around the last rung of the stationary ladder. It has a swiveling full-length panel that has a rubber strip that is meant to rest against the panel of the motorhome. It does not touch the ground.

The part number appears to be: 161990-01-01A EA LADDER - LOWER - BRUSHED ALUMINUM

You can order the bottom half from a Winnebago dealership like Lichtsinn (HERE)

Here is the complete parts catalog for your coach:

Go HERE ...it's a large PDF

The ladder part number is on page 103
Hi Theroc,

I can go either way on the ladder and I am all about dual use items.

I will see if my step ladder reaches safely for me to get to it. If not I will get a longer step ladder or the bottom half.

I do go up on the roof a few times a year to inspect it and the awning and slide toppers.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I carry a 7' GP Logistics folding ladder.... It folds into a 7' X 4" unit so storing it is easy. I have a full rear ladder, but carry this for easy access other areas.
Thanks Veraken,

I maybe on the market for a longer ladder.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #24

Not all coach half ladders are due to accessibility of rear radiator.. My bounder is a half ladder and it is not a pusher. Probably more for security and looks.
O-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #25

Thats what I thought O-Man.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #26

Being a part timer, i see no need at all in carrying a stand alone ladder in my rig. The one up the back does just fine for getting on the roof.

Ours too has the lower extension stored in the rear compartment. It's very easy to get to and attach when roof access is needed.

From the replies here, it's evident some people pull the factory extension out of their rigs. I can understand that a person might want to carry a stand alone. But at the same time, i can't understand why a person would remove the factory extension. Ours is out of the way, weighs almost nothing, and doesn't take up any space. 1st, i'd look closely in every compartment, under the bed, etc,,, to make sure it wasn't there some place.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #27

The 2 piece ladder was not specific to the diesel motorhomes. Our 2001 Adventurer also had the same ladder. The bottom of the attached section ended just above the left tail light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2831.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	201283

The portable section was originally stored on the floor of one of the cabinets. It was always in the way so I attached a couple spring clip storage bars to the top of the cabinet and snapped the ladder into them.

This is the model we used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1147/202305506

We left 2 clips on each bar and slid the rest off. I also used several more of these to clip brooms, mops, and washing brushes to the top of other cabinets.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Many of us have a need for a portable ladder and it can serve many purposes, whereas the 'bottom half' only serves one purpose only...

so mine too is 'saved' somewhere in the back of the garage...