Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
The manuals are overwhelming but on most DPs full service to the chassis/engine is once a year or 12k miles. The remainder of the motorhome maintenance is the same as a gaser. And yes, the parts are higher on a DP.
Let's not mislead. DP are more expensive because the components are usually more complex and expensive.
The first item comes to mind is daily checks of the air brake system on a diesel. Now I would agree most don't do this. That doesn't mean you shouldn't.
I sold my DP back a few years. Yes there is more to do on a diesel. Agreed the oils have a longer mileage span but still need to be done annually.
An RV requires regular maintenance. If not maintained you can expect and plan for major failures at some point. The maintenance does not have to be hard but does need to be done. It is not for a lazy person IMO. Also not sure if the OP is lazy as they already did more than many by downloading and looking at a manual.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
$350-$400 per year for oil, filters, and lube of the coach and generator. Less if I would do it myself. Just add fuel and go. I pull a 13,000# trailer, so it gets worked, especially up 11,000' mountain passes. The reliability is the main reason I have purchased new. I don't want someone else's troubles. For that I deal with the depreciation. It's worth it to me. Life is too short to always wonder what the next problem will be. But,,,, that's just me.
Your cost estimates for oil are about the same as we pay annually for our gasser. Quarterly oil changes and filter system change outs are close to your annual expense. We tend to put a lot of miles on our coach so I am starting to think a DP will be in our future. Our 94 has a lot of git-up-and-go and we haul a 3410# Grand Vitara four down. I find our gasser kinda runs out of gas on some of the bigger hills out there. The run up from Camp Verde to Flagstaff being one of those problem climbs.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #17

I so appreciate the support, comments and advice from your replies!

Wife and I pulled trailers for about 5 years about 30 years ago, then the kids got older and we started renting condos and houses for vacations. For the past 7 years we have been using VRBO for vacation rentals (now that's lazy travel) but are tired of that lifestyle and want to take our home with us. We won't be going full-time, more like 4 months a year.

Yes costs are a concern for us and it looks like this is within our budget. But we are such conservative spenders it's hard to sink it into something that is not going to appreciate. Maybe you relate to that part.

I can easily spend a lot of time on the couch, but just finished re-siding and painting the house. I just need some motivation and thank goodness for my wife for some of that! If she said buy one tomorrow I would get of my rear end and do it.

The manual was just so overwhelming at first, but I think I'm getting used to the idea.
saberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
An old DP demands annual maintenance, but it does not have to be overwhelming. If you travel far distances it makes it worthwhile. Once you drive one, you will not be happy with a gasser. Maintaining a DP does cost more than a gasser, and although uncommon, can be very expensive.
On the other hand, all the stuff that comes with the DP is usually of a much higher quality.
+1. We love our DP and it was a fixer upper.
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #19

You didn't say where you're located or what your budget is but you might keep watch on this consignment place in Texas. They always have high quality motorhomes in great condition. They have a 2000 Country Coach right now which is very good quality.

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

We would not hesitate to buy from Motorhomes of Texas.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You didn't say where you're located or what your budget is but you might keep watch on this consignment place in Texas. They always have high quality motorhomes in great condition. They have a 2000 Country Coach right now which is very good quality.

ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory

We would not hesitate to buy from Motorhomes of Texas.
Try PPL sales in Houston, TX. Prices and service is much better.
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:05 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With the initial cost, depreciation and the maintenance, you have to get into this because you want too not because it makes any financial sense or budget sense. It cost more to travel and there is more work involved, but it is also a great time and you can see and do things you could not do by staying in a hotel. The memories are priceless.

Can definitely relate to your comment "But we are such conservative spenders it's hard to sink it into something that is not going to appreciate." If you know this is something you want to do, get the RV with the amenities you want. It is usually more expensive to buy something and find out it does not meet your needs or fulfill your wants and have to upgrade again in a year or two. Oil changes and filters are only the tip of the iceberg as far as costs.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #22

I am not sure how tight your budget is, but you need to put aside at least $2K per year for repair and updates. Tire replacement alone is a considerable amount of money.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #23

I too wanted a DP (drove diesels all my life) but I'm also a fanatic about the condition of my vehicles. I spent a year looking and made a couple costly and stupid mistakes flying and driving to look at "too good to be true for the price" DPers. It soon became obvious that on my budget and desire for condition the gasser was the only course for me and I'm surprisingly happy with it. I'm not going to lie, still would prefer the DP but as Clint Eastwood once said "man's got to know his limitations"
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:19 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I too wanted a DP (drove diesels all my life) but I'm also a fanatic about the condition of my vehicles. I spent a year looking and made a couple costly and stupid mistakes flying and driving to look at "too good to be true for the price" DPers. It soon became obvious that on my budget and desire for condition the gasser was the only course for me and I'm surprisingly happy with it. I'm not going to lie, still would prefer the DP but as Clint Eastwood once said "man's got to know his limitations"
We looked at coaches for a long time before buying our DP. We too spent a lot of time and effort going to look at "bargains". We learned, slowly, that the real bargains are few and far between and they go quickly. There are lots of used motor homes, there are fewer good used motor homes and even fewer good and cheap used motor homes.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:22 AM   #25

saberg-

Things haven't changed since your trailer experiences 30 years ago. An RV is a tool- it transforms materials (time, money) into experiences. You've decided you want the experiences. As all RVs depreciate, the only thing you haven't decided is if you want (and/or can afford) to pay someone else to work on your motorhome.

I work on anything related to our coach's "house," and leave the chassis work to a mechanic. And I'll lose money on every improvement and repair when I sell it.

Here's my thinking: Except for inveterate tinkerers (or those who want to know everything), most people want to point their RV at the destination and go. No worries about what will or won't work along the way, or on arrival. That means buy a well-built (and if used, a well-maintained) RV, learn about it and maintain it well. If you have the money to do that, you're golden.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
used DP

we bought 92 34 ft Itasca DP from original owners son this June,90,000 kms on it, he couldnt tell me when it was serviced last. no idea what kind of oil was in it.just that he got it from his 85 yr old father 2 yrs ago. and all he did was install 6 new tires. new alternator and belts,front air bags and some used batterys . so while installing a new radio in it,i found his fathers name and address on the original Bill of sale. took me a while to find a phone no. but found it. phoned him, he said he has never changed the oil in it., just the filter every 20,000 kms ,he said it sat under a canopy in Arizona for 16 yrs up on blocks. from 92 to 2008 .
ok so was good thing i changed all the oils and filters, and he told he got between 12 and 16 with this ? at 90 KPH , time will tell
Old 10-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #27

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...l-pusher&cat=4

OP - Here is a coach from a pretty dang well respected member, and Moderator, of this board. (Only when he has a contrary opinion then I do on a subject, is he just a tad bit less respected!) All kidding aside. If you can judge a coach by the character of it's owner - then coach should make someone very happy. Gary's posts, always indicate that he takes serious care of his equipment, and he does things the right way when it comes to using good quality components when making modifications.

Many, many more good traveling miles on this good quality coach. And no, I get no commission - but feel very comfortable saying it is worth a look!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:19 AM   #28

Hi saberg and welcome aboard,

You have one thing in common with all of us, we all started at the beginning! I know what you're thinking, "wow was that profound or what"! Ok, you may be thinking something less than that but if you'd allow it I'd just like to add this...

I've been lurking, learning and trying to figure things out for awhile here on the forum and other places. And although its not scientific I'd have to say of those having gassers and diesel pushers easily 95+% have gone from gassers to diesel. Leaving less than 5% going from diesel to gasser! There is a reason for that and the numbers don't lie!

I'm making no judgement for you or engaging in the gasser vs diesel debate. Just giving you the facts as I know them! If I were pressed for more i'd say if you can afford a diesel buy a diesel but don't let anyone tell you "Gasser Bad"! If its more in your wheelhouse you buy a gasser you do it and go out and see this wonderful country of ours!

You may even meet me out there... Ok, maybe a good reason to stay home!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote