Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #43

Interest rates and the price of diesel. It's not rocket science.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcid View Post
Fuel is just one part.

Rent is up, food is up, fuel is up, service...
YouTube.
Everlanders.
Their home-built ExpeditionVehicle just got off the ferry from Central America.
First stop -- Columbia.
Filled the diesel tank.
The equivalent of us$2.02 a gallon.
Everlanders.
https://youtube.com/shorts/mM2R8kAifpk?feature=share
An aside, utterly unrelated:
We have Heeler puppies.
At our "Outside!", the free three jump the kennel gate and skedaddle, bowling down the steps as soon as we open the door.
The other -- non-free -- three stand against the gate, howling against the tyranny.
No relationship to today's subject whatsoever...
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #45

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
Interest rates and the price of diesel. It's not rocket science.
This...
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:33 AM   #46

Current Market

That pricing matrix (price drops) is a dealer thing. I always found the dealer had the poorly maintained used offerings. For what you're looking for, you'll find a nice coach with a private individual that can tell you some/all history of the unit. Good luck in your search.
dbteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:17 AM   #47

Trending on Resale Units

The market is certainly not for the resale units. Last year when I bought our Thor 2007 Presidido, we could not find anything used worth a darn until we ran across this Presidido. I have since been diagnosed with Parkinson's so we have decided to put it up for sale 2 months ago with only 2 lookers.

On the bright side, MAYBE some RV sites will start to open up since we cannot find one at all!! Just got tired of searching and searching only to find FILLED NO FOUND! I wish that there was a search engine for open sites only.
gdlee50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Just curious what you all think is driving the market right now and where it's trending. I have about a dozen tabs open on used early 2000s DPs and every few days I'll hit refresh to see how quickly it sold or whatever.

I've noticed this trend where it will start at $45k, then I hit refresh and it's at $40k, then $35k, then $30k and there it will sit for awhile.

Just curious if anybody else has noticed this and what the driving force is behind it. I mean, diesel is at $6 per gallon right now and I expect it to be over $7 in the next few months. I'm assuming it's basically because no matter how much cash you have $750 fill ups aren't for the faint of heart.

Just curious what you're all seeing out there.
I think you are on to something. It's the same for pick up trucks... I bought in March (early) because I knew rates would go up and finally found a 2500 that checked my boxes on a lot. I drove 500 miles to trade in and save around 7K vs local, got 2K below MSRP, and a great interest rate 3.24. Some of the same trucks are still on the lot from March. My local dealer has quit marking trucks up and is selling at MSRP, the trade in's have dropped in value except for smaller good MPG small units...

Oh yes, the world is changing...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #49

The peak was actually already over before market crashed, interest rates went up, or fuel prices soared. Those items together are accelerating the descent.
ledmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Went RV shopping with my daughter and her husband last Saturday.

Both lots we went to were completely full of new RV's and we were the only people looking.

This was in the Fresno California area which has a total population of about 1 million people.

I'm starting to think the RV boom is over.
I noticed the same thing when I likely was at the same huge dealership in Fresno. About 15 salesmen standing around and maybe a couple of customers. Their web site is showing around $7 - 10k discounts on travel trailers. They even had a luxury motorcoach offered at a $129k discount.

The parts guy told me that buyers just aren't showing up.

So as new rigs are discounted and some people who rushed to buy RV's during the past couple of years are bailing out, the used market values also decline.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #51

[QUOTE=Volunteering at a food bank, one is astonished by the mega SUVs and low mpg hot cars coming through for the hand outs. BTW most are less than 3 years old! Simply amazing. At the start of the school year we were giving out backpacks for kids and yes top-notch SUVs ...[/QUOTE]

Infuriating - I live near a gov subsidized apartment complex. The cars pulling out of there...

I've saved all my life, doing without houses, toys, & cars I could easily pay for, but chose to deny myself of. Now I'm considered privileged, told I don't pay my fair share, and expected to take care of people who spent 110% of their income on crap.

Sorry, you stuck a nerve.
gwill1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #52

Take advantage of the low price. Fuel is the least of the problem, availability will be a problem!
steady48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #53
Community Moderator

Why are Prices on Older Used units Dropping $5k Every Few Days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Isn't it funny how interest rates are climbing but they are still giving us next to nothing in savings interest? It's an insult, really. Soon they will charge us to hold our money.

Yes, that is why I switched years ago to Ally online bank….currently paying 1.00% interest on savings

Much better than the paltry 0.05% being paid by other banks
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:49 AM   #54

Many reasons:

a) High Inflation,
b) High fuel prices due to,
- Shortage of USA refining capacity,
- Shortages of labor, raw materials, etc
- Loss of Russian crude in the world market, and
- US oil producers being disciplined and not overextending themselves (like they did in the last 100 years).
c) Interest rates are predicted to go up (another 0.75%) on 27 Jul. Real interest rates (Gov't bond yields less inflation) are still negative suggesting interest rates will continue to rise for the rest of the year.
d) Widespread belief in Wall Street that a recession is coming or already is here.
e) Wall Street stock bear market reduces the wealth effect (inflated 401K plans) that led (at least some) people to buy MH in the first place.
f) The gradual reopening of alternative vacation spots (Disney, Hawaii, Europe, etc). (During the pandemic RV'ing was the only available, (relative) safe vacation option.)

We may also be approaching market saturation, but I lack the market data to verify that.
82 Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:44 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigceasar View Post
Then it would appear their business plan is succeeding. Revenue is down around 16% and expenses are down nearly 50%. As the season progresses, they have site availability to increase that revenue, whereas the previous ownership was capped out. There is no evidence their plan is a failure.
A bit off topic here. Your analysis seems to be suggesting that a 50% occupancy rate somehow reduces expenses by “nearly 50%”. Fixed expenses aren’t reduced simply because there are fewer RV’s in the park.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #56

We are probably going to sell our 2013 Tiffin. Not because we have to as it's been paid for since new, but we mostly we just travel between homes twice a year with two side trips. We no longer have a realistic need for it. I was surprised when my dealer told me what it could sell for. Roughly $25,000 more than two years ago. When I looked at the price of a 2022 coach equivalent to ours, The list price was over $175,000 more than ours was. That helps explain why ours has maintained and actually increased in value. I'm taking it to him to correct a few small items and have the chassis serviced like I have every year and list it with all the receipts and records. Guess I'll see what the real market is.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote