Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #1

Why are so many RV sellers so dishonest

I know this is just a rant from a disgruntled rv shopper and I hope you ll pardon my venting. I have been shopping for older dps for about a year now. budget forces me towards the older units, that and being unsure how dw will adapt to lifestyle. anyways I look on various websites Craigslist and even auctions. dealers to me have nothing I want unless it is 2 or 3 times book value and then arent that great of units. I have gone to see many units declared to be no leak no pet or smoke units only to find obvious sign of water intrusions bad flooring smelly interiors etc even met some cat sized rats in them. I always ask before hand of needed repairs and am told they need nothing. and then find major repairs and neglect. to top things off they always are asking way over book pricing saying it's because they have that rare peach. I know older means to expect wear and tear but so many units are ignored and need major help. why misrepresent them and cause buyers like me to travel a couple hundred miles only to be disappointed because they lied. by the way pictures do lie when taken to conceal defects. Where are the good older cared for units that are at least not astronomically over priced? Grumpy on a rainy sunday.
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Pretty simple answer.....your expectations of what a nice coach is, may be waaaaay different than what the seller thought was a nice coach. I doubt you'll find an add that says, old motor home, beat to death, leaking roof and needs valve job. Many people put their junk up for sale and some will buy it with aspirations of fixing it. I'm sure on your list of must haves, there will be things you're willing to accept (broken stuff) and fix yourself. Some people are willing to accept a larger list of broken stuff....so the junk sells.

I do find it funny when people say no pets, no smoking and you see pet bowls on the floor and ashtrays on the table when they post photos.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

You ask a great question.
Part of the answer is the seller motivation to sell it.
  1. Health issues
  2. Owner passes
  3. Can't afford to operate it anymore
  4. Traveling life style changes
  5. Needs a expensive repair
  6. Upgrading

Each situation creates the need to GET RID of the thing and it appears few people will be honest with you as to the reason or willing to tell you it has problems because that will kill a sale.

I am not sure every seller will lie to you but what they will not tell you will be real important.

The system is rigged.
I say so because unlike a new vehicle sale once you drive away it your headache and after all the goal was to get rid of the thing and cash your check.

Part of the problem is a Motorhome is really a very complex machine and few of us truly know how it works. You can not take it apart and even with a inspection list you would need days to really do a detailed inspection. I had a 15 page list and failed to see a hole bunch of stuff.

Another issue, the seller maybe lazy when it comes to fixing things. Not everything must work and now you get to search for the broken stuff.

I think dealers are the worst because they have no true operational knowledge of the rig, never actually lived in it and there motivation is purely financial.

Good luck in your search.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
I know this is just a rant from a disgruntled rv shopper and I hope you ll pardon my venting. I have been shopping for older dps for about a year now. budget forces me towards the older units, that and being unsure how dw will adapt to lifestyle. anyways I look on various websites Craigslist and even auctions. dealers to me have nothing I want unless it is 2 or 3 times book value and then arent that great of units. I have gone to see many units declared to be no leak no pet or smoke units only to find obvious sign of water intrusions bad flooring smelly interiors etc even met some cat sized rats in them. I always ask before hand of needed repairs and am told they need nothing. and then find major repairs and neglect. to top things off they always are asking way over book pricing saying it's because they have that rare peach. I know older means to expect wear and tear but so many units are ignored and need major help. why misrepresent them and cause buyers like me to travel a couple hundred miles only to be disappointed because they lied. by the way pictures do lie when taken to conceal defects. Where are the good older cared for units that are at least not astronomically over priced? Grumpy on a rainy sunday.
if you were looking near st louis I know one honest seller
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:46 PM   #5

See "Used car salesman" in dictionary. HTH.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Also I think budget will determine the quality of unit DP are not cheap
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
Judge Judy calls it 'fluffing'. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #8

When looking at photos one of the first things I do is look for any air "fresheners" in which case I totally avoid the rig. One of the first things I do if calling is ask the person how long they've owned it. If the answer is less than 2 years I don't set a time to look at it. If I do look at it and I notice any air freshener smells I move on, I see no reason healthy adults should be using them in functional coaches and find they almost always point to some issue being covered up.

If things are still going well I asked to see the title, confirm it's been registered for awhile and also confirm the person on the title is the person I'm talking to. If it doesn't line up or match I move on.

Anyway, this has saved a lot of troubles and headache as I just don't have time for the "selling it for my uncle" story or the "got it from a guy who owed me money" or whatever nonsense.

I'm hunting as well so hopefully we both find what we want sooner than later.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I can't speak to the obvious lies about things like pets or smokers, but I don't think most typical RV owners have a clue about owning one. I know I didn't when I started. That's what leads to most issues you see in coaches for sale. We bought a 16 year old Monaco in pretty good condition, but some of the maintenance had been skipped over the years.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 AM   #10

We looked at a lot of used coaches before we made the decision to purchase new and found many of the same issues that you did. Most were rode hard and put up wet. Independent dealers seemed to be the worst since they buy at auctions or get trades from other dealers that they don't want. After six months of looking we changed strategy and shopped new. There are lots of great, well kept units out there but it's time consuming and likely will require travel time to find them.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #11

I understand your frustration. Our first rv was a class C, bought from a good friend, well cared for by all previous owners for, as MS said, a trial to see if we liked RVing. It grew on me quickly & began our search f/ a diesel pusher. Our budget did not allow for new but I went to shows & dealers and researched new as well as older coaches to determine how different ones are made (it's appalling how cheaply a $200, 000 coach is made) but more importantly how well each stood up to age & use. Once we decided on brands acceptable we began our real search.

After combing through the junk, we were fortunate to find a 16 yr old Monaco Camelot, 1 owner, well cared for & as a bonus, low mileage. As a diesel mileage isn't a factor as much as maintenance is. But, low mileage can mean nonuse or sitting in one place lived. In this case, they made a lot of short trips plus the owner is a mechanic by trade & he serviced the engine, transmission & generator more frequently than Cummins recommended.

Of course their are some relativly minor issues to fix; minor air leaks & power transfer switch so far have been the worse.

Once you narrow it down to 2 or 3 brands you feel best with, (for us it was certain Newmars & some Monacos) then you can target only those which helps immensely.

PS: most dealers lie & desperate sellers lie worse.

Happy Trails
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of reasons why it's hard to get a true picture and often different ones apply to each seller. Some of the more common seller types are:

1. CLUELESS: The seller is clueless, full of misinformation which he believes to be factual. Probably the most common category of seller.

2. DESPARADO: The seller is desperate for somemoney and will say anything he thinks you want to hear. This is the category where outright lies are told.

3. STORY TELLER: The seller has little or no meaningful info about the RV - he just gets in and drives it. Since he has no info to relate, he instead tells stories about how he got it, his family's health and happiness, and the funny thing that happened on his last camping trip (4 years ago).

4. UNDERWATER: The seller owes far more than the RV is worth and has no concept of its market value. He wants you to pay what he thinks it is worth.

5. The MECHANIC: The seller doesn't care much about anything cosmetic and little about appliances and house systems. He is, however, meticulous about mechanical things, e.g. oil changes. He shrugs off your concerns about the broken fridge door and waxes enthusiastically about the performance chip he added to the 18 year old engine.

I'm sure you can think of more types, or variations on the above...
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, dish