Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2023, 04:32 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Why aren't there more mid door Diesel Pushers?

You would think that a mid-door would be safer than the door on the side of the passenger seat. If there is a front-end accident and the front end gets pushed back the only way out is through the emergency exit. Which is not a great way to climb out of your MH. Now there used to be a door on the driver side but that is gone now. Let me know your thoughts.
Navyskcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2023, 04:37 PM   #2

Yup, we preferred our mid-door DP floorplan over the two front door coaches.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:41 PM   #3

I remember somewhere on a YouTube video Newell rep saying you lose about 3-6 ft of storage and interior space.
But the mid-entry Newell is still very popular.
I think it was an Andrew Steele video.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:10 PM   #4

If you are in accident in any fiberglass body mh and the front is pushed in you will need a coffin not an escape door
Have you looked at videos of mh's after an accident
Piles of junk.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
I remember somewhere on a YouTube video Newell rep saying you lose about 3-6 ft of storage and interior space.
But the mid-entry Newell is still very popular.
I think it was an Andrew Steele video.
I believe you nailed it. To much living space lost.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A front-end accident in a DP.....you'll be able to climb out the windshield as it will be gone. What if you're "T-Boned" in a mid-door RV and it's not operable. All of these RV's come with an escape window.

As to the mid-door on a DP, they just were not popular enough to offer a model for very long. Newmar offered a mid-engine that was only available for a year or so, it just didn't sell. Gassers have a mid-door because they're forced to, but you lose design ability and slide size when you have to put an opening in the middle of the RV.

Lastly, a driver's door on a Class A required a gymnast to climb in, not to good for seniors.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:28 PM   #7

Love the mid door on our Forza . Puts you into living area . Easy access and no twisting to get around seat .
Old 01-16-2023, 08:36 PM   #8

You lose about 4 ft of linear space upstairs and the basement bay beneath it. All in all, about 120 - 150 cu ft.

The location of the entry also dictates where slides can go (or vice-versa), and that makes for design limitations. The fully custom Newell chassis can minimize the impact because they have greater flexibility in layout.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My last diesel coach had a door just in front of the rear axel and directly across from the 1/2 bath. I miss being able to walk out under the full awning and straight in to use the toilet. Only gave up about 30 inches of wall space.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:02 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Having a mid door coach, I would not consider a front door for a future coach. It easy to pick them apart … but once you live in one, I do not know of other mid door owners that I have met that would switch. The availability is limited to some manufacturers but well worth researching.

From my perspective, the front is much quieter (no air leaks and road noise), the front passenger has a better view while traveling, when parked, you can swing the passenger seat around and not need to move again until you pull up stakes, the entry is much easier logistically (groceries and goods are close to where they are stored), you can enter and exit while camping without “cutting through” the living area, I like the floor plan and can easily justify the loss of the 30” wide storage area taken up for access. Just my opinion as a happy mid door owner.[emoji854]
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I like my mid-door and am happy with the amount of space. DW loves being able to build a nest around the co-pilot seat without having to tear it down at every stop. Given a choice she would never have a front entry again.
Old 01-17-2023, 05:36 AM   #12

One big reason I went with my Palazzo was the mid-door. A big reason of that is I still work and the mid door allows a workspace with desk at the passenger seat which I had with my gas MH. With the seat forward I have a window office with usually a great view that is somewhat separated from the rest of the coach. Kids can go in and out the mid-entry without bothering me as well as working while the wife is driving. Wife still works remote too and we can both work at the same time without getting in each others way, she usually works on dinette.

So depending on how you use your space I don't think you lose much, in fact it can be a gain. Front entry pushes the passenger seat further back and no dedicated workspace. Under coach storage is just moved around I have a storage bay where the front door would be. Palazzo doesn't have much basement storage overall compared to other DP's but that mainly due to its length of less than 35ft and straight rail, still plenty.

Entrance under main awning is also a better setup as is direct access to kitchen and bathroom. Door is more in the campsite than up toward end of it.

Currently made mid entry DP's:

Thor Palazzo
Fleetwood Pace Arrow - no desk
Winnebago Forza - only 34T - small desk built into chair same as front entry
Newell - no desk

My dream coach is a mid entry Newell with bunks and custom desk in passenger seat.

Palazzo passenger area with desk that pops out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	63b05317b3ea9618672daaf3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	384502
Old 01-17-2023, 06:07 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I suspect those that have never had a mid entry rig will defend the ridicules front door plan, but ask anyone who has a mid entry rig, and you'll get 2 thumbs up.

Carry-over from bus conversion seems to drive the front entry floor plan IMHO. As some have said, little living space is lost once the entry/exit is moved away from front corner. I like being able to just open the door and set groceries beside the fridge, rather than walk through the living room area. Or take one step inside to quickly grab something cold out of the fridge.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:40 AM   #14

I also like the mid door much better than a front door. It's easier moving things in and out, no tracking through and keeping that cleaned up.

Mine has a desk/table in front of the door, the dinette is behind the door. I lose the same step well space a front door loses, not 4-6 ft

I don't buy a loss of 100+ cu ft of storage either. In the right front where the front door step well would be I have a compartment I use for engine spares. Again, a trade off.

I had a gasser with a driver's door. The front seats would remove by flipping a lever. It was the easiest motor home ever to work under the dash. Other than that I didn't use it much. The gas fill was on the right so it was the long way around for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entrance door.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	384503  
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, door