Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #127

Usually stay out of these posts - BUT - I just don’t get it -

Pay more - - just nuts

Get to bring all the oil and fuel in on your shoes - -

Sorry I must have just grown up in a different time,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #128

I use GS Elite for 9 cents off st P/FJ and TSD at Loves. Rarely needed with about 100 capacity. Going for convenience, not saving. Have found off highways diesel is higher than using the card more than once.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post

Pay more - - just nuts

And, apparently you have different types of non loves/TA/Piolot where you are.

Around here, like at the local station I fill up at when I get home from a trip, there is just as much spilled diesel as I've seen at big truck stops.

Further, most of the smaller stations are much hard, not impossible, but harder, to get in and out of with a DP and toad. Some require going down city streets and making hard 90* turns, etc.

That said, on my normal routes, I have mapped out smaller truck stops because there are no Loves/TAs/etc.

I try and only go to the ones that are high traffic and hopefully rotate fuel often through high sales, but all of them are nasty, oily messes.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
And, apparently you have different types of non loves/TA/Piolot where you are.

YUP, must be - oil and fuel all over the ground at the Loves/TA/Pilot. and not at the places I choose to fill up at.

Around here, like at the local station I fill up at when I get home from a trip, there is just as much spilled diesel as I've seen at big truck stops.

Never had that problem - as it just does not work for me to stand in fuel and oil. -

Further, most of the smaller stations are much hard, not impossible, but harder, to get in and out of with a DP and toad. Some require going down city streets and making hard 90* turns, etc.

My Coach is shorter than yours, so much easier to maneuver in and out of the local stations.-

That said, on my normal routes, I have mapped out smaller truck stops because there are no Loves/TAs/etc.

I try and only go to the ones that are high traffic and hopefully rotate fuel often through high sales, but all of them are nasty, oily messes.

Using Gas buddy I usually locate my stops for 100 gallons or so - more often than not in a Sam's or Costco - as they usually have the best price, along with being Clean and well kept. -
We all just make choices that work for us - so not saying your wrong - just that I make a different choice. - -
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #131

Quote:
We all just make choices that work for us - so not saying your wrong - just that I make a different choice. - -
Agreed, just pointing out in my experience, which I'll admit isn't as full as many others, it's dedicated truck lanes that have fuel spilled all over them, not just the big brand ones.

Now, if you are talking about going to car lanes, such as at Sams and stuff, then no doubt, they are typically much cleaner.

I've seen several people in this thread talk about stopping at a Sams or Costcos, one person even said he's willing to disconnect his toad to fuel.

I have to start paying more attention to these, but I know I waited 20 or 30 minutes one time trying to fuel my 31' Thor ACE at a Sams (needing to wait for both pumps on an outside island to be empty and no way to queue up in line) and it was a bear getting in and out of, but maybe a lot of Sams have easier in and outs.

Another factor that isn't often mentioned is time. As someone who works full time and takes short trips and if it's a longer trip, drives a lot of miles in a day, a big factor for me is getting in and out quickly. So far I've been lucky and I haven't had to wait at big truck stops or small ones, but my goal is to pull in and start fueling right away (pay at pump or small station where it's 10 seconds to walk in and hand them a CC), clean windshield and DEF if needed while fueling.

If the wife wants to go in the store, she knows she has as much time as it takes for me to pump 50-60 gallons, then a quick use of the bathroom in coach and then back on the road.

I know for others, where the journey is more important than the destination, then driving a little out of the way to find a good gas price, or using the slower non-commercial pumps, possibly unhooking the toad, etc. are all small prices to pay for saving money.

For me, the time and convenience (which is about time) is worth a price premium. Fortunately, with TSD now, it's actually cheaper to go to Loves than most small stations.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
No worries DK. All of us who RV's are buying a depreciating debit - not asset for sure! But, I want to be treated fairly - I know it is business decision for these companies - but I want them to know it will come back to bite them in the ass as well. The RV industry is now quite large and our age group has worked all of our lives to get where we are - I for one want to choose where I spend my money - I don't want to be gouged.

But I understand your point. I always say to people if you have to worry about or ask the price of fuel - you sure don't need to own an RV as that is the least expensive thing about them.

Safe travels and keep the shiney side up!

I only ask because I’m CHEAP LOL
Old 08-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #133

On our Summer trip out West (7,000 miles) I started using the truck lanes to fill up with diesel and found it so much easier to navigate through them and faster to pump. I got so fed up with some RV’ers using the RV lanes at Flying J pumping their fuel then staying parked at the pump while they went in and shopped, finally to come back out 20-30 minutes later then take another 5-10 minutes fooling around inside before finally vacating the pump! At all the truck lanes I went to if there was a trucker at the pump as soon as they were done they pulled up to the line, so I could access the pump. Etiquette says to do that and not to stay parked at the line for more than 10-15 minutes (the expected time for a trucker to fill I guess).

And as for you folks who leave your rigs parked at the RV pumps while you go inside to shop—please keep using the RV lanes. [emoji2957]
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Agreed, just pointing out in my experience, which I'll admit isn't as full as many others, it's dedicated truck lanes that have fuel spilled all over them, not just the big brand ones.

Thought that/those was/were the lanes that were the subject of this post - and trust me not every trucker leaves a mess when they fuel up - it's money on the ground and adds up over the years.

Now, if you are talking about going to car lanes, such as at Sams and stuff, then no doubt, they are typically much cleaner.

You got it - why stand in the oil and fuel if there is another option.

I've seen several people in this thread talk about stopping at a Sams or Costcos, one person even said he's willing to disconnect his toad to fuel.

Those are two of my main options and they have served me well for many years, and they are clean. In twenty five years of Toading only once have i had to disconnect - that was when another RV'er parked so I had to back up to get out (Can't imagine how RV'ers ever got a bad Reputation).

I have to start paying more attention to these, but I know I waited 20 or 30 minutes one time trying to fuel my 31' Thor ACE at a Sams (needing to wait for both pumps on an outside island to be empty and no way to queue up in line) and it was a bear getting in and out of, but maybe a lot of Sams have easier in and outs.

Yup, Goggle maps is great - plan just a little before you head out and life can be so much easier

Another factor that isn't often mentioned is time. As someone who works full time and takes short trips and if it's a longer trip, drives a lot of miles in a day, a big factor for me is getting in and out quickly. So far I've been lucky and I haven't had to wait at big truck stops or small ones, but my goal is to pull in and start fueling right away (pay at pump or small station where it's 10 seconds to walk in and hand them a CC), clean windshield and DEF if needed while fueling.

Me being just a little older than you and having been filling things up for over 50 years - timing helps - everyone is in a hurry in the morning and most fuel up on the way home not on the way to work, so keep that in mind in your plans it will save you from getting in those long lines.

If the wife wants to go in the store, she knows she has as much time as it takes for me to pump 50-60 gallons, then a quick use of the bathroom in coach and then back on the road.

Sorry but if the DW needs an hour we take an Hour - just a different generation, I guess.

I know for others, where the journey is more important than the destination, then driving a little out of the way to find a good gas price, or using the slower non-commercial pumps, possibly unhooking the toad, etc. are all small prices to pay for saving money.

Sorry but time is money, if I go more than a mile I'm not happy, I may be one of the old F^rts but I still want to get to where we are headed. Then the trip needs to be as important as the destination.

For me, the time and convenience (which is about time) is worth a price premium. Fortunately, with TSD now, it's actually cheaper to go to Loves than most small stations.

On occasion - not often - time is worth the premium but not as critical as good planning - so plan well - save time AND MONEY really not that hard - just simple math.
Thinking you and I are more alike than different - just I'm a lot older - so give it time and things will slow down and make more sense - I was in the Heavy construction business and the house was on the same property as the business - Fuel pumps were on the property and I quickly learned not to get fuel on my shoes and thus the house, we went through 15,000 gallons a month + so we pumped a lot of fuel I paid for the Fuel so it ALL went in the tank none on the Ground, guess that's where i started counting the Pennies,

Summation we all make choices and for all sorts of reasons.

Best of Luck,
Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #135

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, speaking just for myself I don't ever look at prices, I just go where it's convenient when I need fuel. I look at it this way: Let's say you put on 7000 miles a year, every year for 20 years. That's 140,000 miles. Then let's assume the price difference ranges from 0 to .30/gallon. Your not always going to be at the cheapest place or the most expensive so we'll use an average of .15/gallon. At roughly 1000 miles per tank that's 140 tanks of fuel. At 100 gallons per fill it's $15.00 per tank. That's $2100 over a twenty year time span. That's $105.00 a year or $8.75 a month or .29 a day. That's nothing compared to the $5.00 cup of double mocha caramel cinnamon and goat milk latte every morning from Starbucks. Personally, I just don't care about the price. Plus, last I checked, when I get out of the canoe and join the invisible choir, I don't get to take it with me.
Dave
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:54 AM   #136

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHo Dave View Post
Well, speaking just for myself That's nothing compared to the $5.00 cup of double mocha caramel cinnamon and goat milk latte every morning from Starbucks. Personally, I just don't care about the price. Plus, last I checked, when I get out of the canoe and join the invisible choir, I don't get to take it with me.
Dave

Hi ya Dave, Dude that is one turbocharged caloric jolt every morning to get that old diesel cranking eh! Though it must be heavenly in taste once it is delivered. I am a simpleton when it comes to coffee, straight hot or on the rocks! Best fun is driving the baristas nuts by asking what they call a medium small and a large in their lingo and then asking for a small black coffee. The kids won't walk in to the Sbucks with me anymore!! They offer to pay for and bring it to me a double bonus.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #137

Quote:

Pay more - - just nuts

I too, just couldn't pass this up.

My choice was convenience over price, hence the truck stops. And now with the TSD card, my fuel will be equal to or less than the Mom and Pop stop, but I'll still have the convenience of easy off and easy on.

I've been fueling up my vehicles for over 60 years and know enough not to step in diesel fuel and have never tracked it into the MH. Maybe the extra 10 years taught me something.

As you said, it's all about choices.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I too, just couldn't pass this up.

My choice was convenience over price, hence the truck stops. And now with the TSD card, my fuel will be equal to or less than the Mom and Pop stop, but I'll still have the convenience of easy off and easy on.

I've been fueling up my vehicles for over 60 years and know enough not to step in diesel fuel and have never tracked it into the MH. Maybe the extra 10 years taught me something.

As you said, it's all about choices.

Maybe I'll get my wings in the next ten years --

Until then..........

Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #139

Spilling fuel....I would dare to guess I've spilled more fuel with my present 2000 HR Endeavor Freightliner chassis then any trucker I've fueled up next to. What a lousy setup. Horizontal fuel hose going into tank, and only way to get any fuel into the tank is to take the cap off of the other side. It will burp fuel out every time.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:21 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by grldst View Post
Spilling fuel....I would dare to guess I've spilled more fuel with my present 2000 HR Endeavor Freightliner chassis then any trucker I've fueled up next to. What a lousy setup. Horizontal fuel hose going into tank, and only way to get any fuel into the tank is to take the cap off of the other side. It will burp fuel out every time.
A lot of Freightliner chassis coaches had a problem with the vent tube either kinked, or it was too long causing fuel to be trapped in the vent tube thus preventing air from escaping. This caused the burp. On my last coach, I shortened the vent tube illuminating the sag, and my coaches burping went away. Check the tube out. There needs to me a slight downward slope to it to drain any fuel back to the tank. Good Luck!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel