Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

Why can't gas engines be in the rear, or why can't they be front wheel drive?

For me the biggest advantage of a diesel would be the storage space created by not having the driveshaft the length of the vehicle. Not to mention the cockpit space in a gasser seems to take up so much room.

Why can't a gas engine be in the rear of the vehicle like a diesel? Is there some limitation? Why can't RV's be front wheel drive like a lot of cars if the engine has to be in the front?
rayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
More costly than a front engine and not enough cheaper than a DP. It was tried and there are cooling problems that are costly to overcome, adding to the cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

I think it just comes down to cost. Ford manufacturers the chassis they way they do and that's all the MH manufacturers have to work with. RVs are a REALLY small segment of the market for larger truck chassis.

There have been some gas pushers before and some diesel engines in the front but they are rare. Some of the old GMC bubble like class A rigs (like the one in the movie Stripes) were FWD. A friend's dad had one and loved it. The ground clearance was like 4". A total nightmare to do any work on.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
More costly than a front engine and not enough cheaper than a DP. It was tried and there are cooling problems that are costly to overcome, adding to the cost.
The Workhorse UFO chassis (rear engine gas) was in production 2007, 2008 and didn't have any cooling problems. That is a untruth which continues to be told. It might still be in production if not for the demise of the GM 8.1 Vortec engine. Ask any owner of the UFO Chassis how happy they are with their chassis.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As I recall, an RV maker in the 80's called Revcon made a front wheel drive gasser.

Very sleek aerodynamic designed coach, and we all thought front wheel drive was a great idea.

Apparently it wasn't that great, as reviews reported that the single drive tires didn't have as good traction as duals in the rear and could spin out on gravel.

To my knowledge no other company tried FWD.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Winnebago had a rear gas engine motorhome back in 2008.

Destination was the name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	211202  
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
The GM motor homes (still a lot around) were front wheel drive with the Olds Toranado drive train. The drive train is delicate! The Workhouse UFO was interesting but the cost $$$ was too close to a diesel pusher without all the benefits.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #8

I like the assumption that there is a benefit to diesel over gas. All I see is added weight and expense.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I like the assumption that there is a benefit to diesel over gas. All I see is added weight and expense.
And some of us just don't want diesel vehicles. The only thing missing (for me) on my UFO gasser is air ride.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #10

In my experience, most people prefer not to have gas in their rear.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

Quote:
WOW, you have no idea. I would like to see any gas engine in a 40,000# coach pulling a 10,000# trailer over Loveland Pass. There are places where the gas coach will shine, but anything over 26,000# will perform much better being pushed by a diesel. With the diesel comes the comfort of an air ride suspension and a bullet proof Allison to say nothing of the increased capacity. The list of advantages goes on and on with any coach over 36' long.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #12

I remember several times going camping as a kid and helping fwd GMC Rv’s Getting out of the camping area.

I think there just isn’t enough demand. Most gas RV’s seem to be built on a chassis that’s also used for box trucks and other work vehicles. There isn’t any demand for that type of vehicle with a rear gas engine.... and as stated FWD in a RV way back then traction was a issue.... even though it is entertaining watching a RV do a burnout!!
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:

There are several benefits , but if they don’t benefit you , than it’s not worth the expense.
I fit this category, I have a gasser , because I don’t need or feel the added benefits are worth the expense in my case .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
WOW, you have no idea. I would like to see any gas engine in a 40,000# coach pulling a 10,000# trailer over Loveland Pass. There are places where the gas coach will shine, but anything over 26,000# will perform much better being pushed by a diesel. With the diesel comes the comfort of an air ride suspension and a bullet proof Allison to say nothing of the increased capacity. The list of advantages goes on and on with any coach over 36' long.
All that could be done with a turbo'd gas engine. Horsepower is horsepower. The rest is gearing. The only reason there is the constant mantra of gas vs diesel is that there are no large block properly equipped gasoline engines thanks to the EPA and various marketing forces. Few RV's are run enough miles to make diesel longevity a big deal. OTOH most heavy trucks are so they do benefit. That translates to the only heavy chassis available any more are diesel. That, in turn, makes the whole argument pointless.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas