Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Why can't other motorhomes you pass wave?

I have been a biker and a boater for over 20 years. I have been a motorhomer for only 2 years. Here's what I cant figure out. Why don't people you pass in motorhomes ever give you a wave back? When your on the road and you pass a fellow RV'er. it seems like there would be so much more comeradity than there is. Your out on the open road, your partaking in the American dream, your living life on the edge and experiencing life to it fullest potential.( at least that's how I feel when I'm behind the wheel, even if it's only for the weekend) but seldom ever get a wave back from fellow RV'ers. whats the deal? I'm talking even on 2 lane roads, at slower speeds....... Are RV'ers all just a little snooty and maintain a "I've arrived" mentallity? If you give a wave to a fellow RV'er in passing, let me know with an (I do) just so I know that I'm not in the "snooty club of Americas" favorite pastime........
Grandpadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave
I have been a biker and a boater for over 20 years. I have been a motorhomer for only 2 years. Here's what I cant figure out. Why don't people you pass in motorhomes ever give you a wave back? When your on the road and you pass a fellow RV'er. it seems like there would be so much more comeradity than there is. Your out on the open road, your partaking in the American dream, your living life on the edge and experiencing life to it fullest potential.( at least that's how I feel when I'm behind the wheel, even if it's only for the weekend) but seldom ever get a wave back from fellow RV'ers. whats the deal? I'm talking even on 2 lane roads, at slower speeds....... Are RV'ers all just a little snooty and maintain a "I've arrived" mentallity? If you give a wave to a fellow RV'er in passing, let me know with an (I do) just so I know that I'm not in the "snooty club of Americas" favorite pastime........
They may have a DW like me who prefers me to have both hands on the wheel. I still sneak a wave now and then.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
I always wave on two lane roads unless I'm on a curve or in a bad place that needs my attention. Get a response back about 50% of the time. We spend our summers in a rural area of CO and always wave to our fellow rural residents when passing in opposite directions in the pov
Richard
Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I wave and sometimes get a wave back others not, I just fugue they didn't see me due to watching the road. My wife was waving to me and I didn't see her and she was sitting in the passenger seat!
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Good question, if you mean when approaching you going in the opposite direction, I've found it's rather difficult so see through the windshield of the oncoming coach whether the person is waving or not when approaching and are some distance away. As they get closer the rate of closure of an oncoming vehicle is fairly quick and when you can see they're already past. I generally flash my headlights when they're some distance away, my way of acknowledging a fellow RV'er.

When passing in either my overtaking them or they overtaking us, the clearance between our coaches is such that I keep my hands on the steering wheel to maintain directional stability so as not to drift into the other coach's lane.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it..

Safe travels,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

When I'm on my bike, I always wave when it's safe (ie not leaned over in a corner). In the MH I am stubborn about keeping both hands on the wheel - and the DW reminds me immediately if I lift a hand for anything unnecessary.

I would flash the lights, but the MH has daylight running lights.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
How do you know they aren't waving, it maybe that you can't see in or see the navigator wave while the driver has their hands on the wheel? And I may not be able to see you as you are probably at a different height that we are, I'm busy making sure I stay in my lane, the sun is shining such that there is only glare coming off of your windows, etc. And if we are on a 4 lane road, never even try.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have yet to see a motorhome wave at us, some drivers do and some don't .

Usually when a passing driver waves it's too late for them to see our return wave.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometimes I do, and other times not. Depends on the road. I will, however, always flash them a big smile. Of course, as others mentioned, the other coach occupants may not see either but it makes me happy doing it

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

I try to wave every time I meet another RVer on the road. I don't know if they see me and I often can't see them, but I wave anyway, just in case.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The first RV I passed after purchasing my first class A waved. It caught me by suprise but never again. I wave at all of them even if they dont wave back.

Just seems kinda friendlier to do it.
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have caught a few waves and smiles from other Bounder owners but I've never read that there is an official Bounder Wave. The only groups who I know consistently wave at each other are Corvette, Harley and Wrangler owners.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg
The only groups who I know consistently wave at each other are Corvette, Harley and Wrangler owners.
And boats!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #14

I think the people who have answered that they can't see the other mh because of glare etc, are the ones who don't wave! I have no problem see oncoming motorhomes, and yes I did own a jeep for about 4 years, and they are another group who always waved!